PDA

View Full Version : Rasmussen poll: Bayh in dead heat against either Hostettler or Pence

erowe1
01-25-2010, 10:34 AM
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections2/election_2010/election_2010_senate_elections/indiana/election_2010_indiana_senate

John Hostettler (R) 41%

Evan Bayh (D) 44%

Some other candidate 3%

Not sure12%

Mike Pence (R) 47%

Evan Bayh (D) 44%

Some other candidate 3%

Not sure 7%

Marlin Stutzman (R) 33%

Evan Bayh (D) 45%

Some other candidate 5%

Not sure 16%

ItsTime
01-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Who is our dog in the hunt here? I havent followed any of this.

No1ButPaul08
01-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Who is our dog in the hunt here? I havent followed any of this.

Hostettler by a mile. Pence is a neo-con. Hostettler was one of six in the GOP to vote against the war. Hostettler is probably a little Christian Conservative for my tastes but he is a fiscal conservative and good on foreign policy. Easy choice.

MsDoodahs
01-25-2010, 10:57 AM
wow, this surprised me. But I admit to not having followed this one close at all.

Aratus
01-25-2010, 11:07 AM
evan bayh(D) is birch bayh's son, and mr. pence(R) and mr. hostettler(R) are basically even/steven an'
have nifty poll numbers that are better than scott brown's initial 41% from the first week of january!!!

erowe1
01-25-2010, 11:17 AM
I expect that now that it's pretty clear that Bayh won't have a challenger in the Democrat primary (as least as far as I know--it will be definite by Feb. 19th), he will turn hard to the right from now until November. If there's another chance to vote on healthcare, unless it's a major compromise bill aimed toward the center to draw in a bunch of Republicans, Bayh will vote against it. He'll exercise great liberty to shun the liberal base in his rhetoric with nothing to lose. Bayh has mastered the art of convincing liberals he's on their side when he has to and convincing independents and moderates he's on their side when he has to, and being tolerable to many conservatives. The events of 2009 will be ancient history by this November. And Bayh has a $12 million head start over any Republican challenger that they'll never be able to catch up to.

So while this poll is good news, Hostettler would still be a big underdog against Bayh.

TCE
01-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Anyone in Indiana or near it needs to see what they can do to help out a semi-Liberty candidate. The position for the Democrats will only deteriorate in the coming months, so working on name recognition/funds now is a good idea.

erowe1
01-25-2010, 04:46 PM
For those who were waiting until the Hostettler campaign was accepting online donations, they are now.

http://www.johnhostettler.com

PaleoPaul
01-25-2010, 05:25 PM
woo hoo

Let's send Bayh Boy to the world of defeat, along with his dad

KCIndy
01-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Wow... Those are incredible numbers, given how far we still are from the election.

As someone else noted, Pence is a through and through neocon. While I don't agree with Hostettler 100%, I would definitely say he's the more (small-l) libertarian minded candidate. For those who don't know, Hostettler was Indiana's U.S. Representative for the 8th district from '95 to '07.

Pence happens to be the Rep for the district I live in here in Indiana.

I wouldn't mind seeing either of them replace Bayh, who for all his reputation as a "moderate" actually blows in the wind like an overgrown windsock... but if it were a choice between Pence and Hostettler, I would have to support Hostettler.

Now if we could only get Dick Lugar's ancient and petrified RINO ass voted out of office... Ah, well... hope springs eternal! :)

TheSouth18
01-25-2010, 10:43 PM
I would love to see Hostettler run. I heard audio of him speaking at the Constitution Party's convention and it was awesome. He certainly fits my description of a real Republican. I look back and see if they voted for Medicare prescription drug plan, if not, then I know they are good, and Hostettler voted against it.

Lugar, yeah, I can't wait till he's gone. I called his office a year ago and asked for a letter explaining why he voted for the bank bailout and where in the constitituion it gave congress the authority to intervene in private business. One year and 3 months later...still no letter. Of course I called and requested the same thing from Bayh's office and got nothing. The only office that responded was Mike Pence, so I'll give him that..and he did vote against it!

Agorism
01-26-2010, 12:43 AM
Anyone have any speeches by this guy worth watching. I don't know of him.

Agorism
01-26-2010, 12:50 AM
YouTube - John Hostettler - THE Iraq War Ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBWYZSkiNHw&feature=related)

John Hostettler - THE Iraq War Ad.

This guy is running against Pence in the primary (if Pence actually decided to run that is)

Hostettler gave a speech at Chuck Baldwin's Constitution Party speech???? anyone have it???

I think this guy will be a better candidate than Pence.

“On October 2, 2002, Bayh joined President George W. Bush and Congressional leaders in a Rose Garden ceremony announcing their agreement on the joint resolution authorizing the Iraq War, and was thanked by Bush and Senator John McCain for co-sponsoring the resolution.”