PDA

View Full Version : Using tax money to actually benefit society

ghotiblue
01-24-2010, 11:18 PM
I've been thinking a lot tonight about civil disobedience through refusal to pay taxes in support of a government which one finds to be immoral and unjust. I think it is a terrific way to voice displeasure with government and stand up to an unjust system. However, I also think that it can be easy for people to misinterpret the act as a simple case of greedy people wanting to have more money. I had an idea that I think could be a very powerful statement and maybe cause more people to become aware of the evils of taxation and government in general.

Basically, I just started thinking about what could be accomplished if people began to refuse paying taxes which contribute to war, bailouts, etc., and instead used all of that money to support charities or even more directly assist the poor and needy in their communities. If enough people were to do this, it would surely receive much attention, and bring to light how much good could be accomplished if people were allowed to use resources in the way they feel is best. People would begin to think about how the money is being used and if it could possibly be better used in other ways. Right now many people feel that government is a benefit to society, but this could be a big way to show that no government could be a much bigger benefit.

Additionally, I believe if it was undeniable that people were not just hoarding the money, but instead making a great impact on the lives of people in their communities, they would receive a large amount of support. Imagine the reaction if the government were to step in and arrest hundreds (or better yet, thousands) of people for their decision to support needy people in the community instead of unnecessary war. Instead of the public siding with government, it may be possible that the sympathies of the public would lie with the protesters who are actually improving society. It could cause people to begin to genuinely question the motives and intent behind the system.

I think if enough people committed to this idea of using civil disobedience not only to protest the current structure, but also to actively improve society at the same time, it could greatly increase public support and awareness.

My concern would be that the government would obviously try to put an end to this behavior before much impact could be made, and thus before much support could be raised. It would need to be organized in such a way that it any impact would be very noticeable from the moment it became known that this was going on.

Could something like this work to generate support and awareness among the general public?

Live_Free_Or_Die
01-24-2010, 11:28 PM
learn more about We The People Foundation at givemeliberty.org and their several year campaign to withhold taxes from government until their redress for grievances was addressed by government.

Danke
01-24-2010, 11:29 PM
What taxes are you talking about? And is refusing to pay advocating an illegal activity?

ghotiblue
01-24-2010, 11:38 PM
What taxes are you talking about? And is refusing to pay advocating an illegal activity?
Income taxes. I'm not advocating anyone do this so much as discussing the potential of such a protest. However, I do agree with Thoreau in that if one feels the government to be acting unjustly yet continues to support it, they are also supporting the injustices.

berrybunches
01-24-2010, 11:41 PM
I agree most have the greedy anti-tax protester stereotype. I think the problem most people have with libertarians and other groups is that when they speak of change they usually speak of a complete and radical overhaul which scares people. Most people agree that the government wastes billions of dollars and something should be done but they become disillusioned with the conversation when the conversation takes an anti-government or radical feel.
I think the route you mentioned would be the best way, the problem with this though is a lot of people are not willing to compromise by endorsing positive anything that the government does, "the government never does anything right" attitude. But the government exists, always will, there will always be taxes and their will always be regulations and safety nets. I think the refusal to accept these facts is where the stereotype of the naive libertarian comes from.

Danke
01-24-2010, 11:45 PM
I think the route you mentioned would be the best way...

Civil disobedience?

Not paying "your" taxes?

berrybunches
01-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Civil disobedience?

Not paying "your" taxes?

Mainly I meant a positive campaign against government waste and boondoggles, it would be extremely difficult to get enough people to stop paying taxes to make a difference.

Paulitician
01-25-2010, 01:27 AM
No, because most people have no clue where the majority of tax money goes, and they probably think it's already serving decent function. Also, I would think the media and the state would find a way to spin it. Personally though, I support that kind of direct action. I think in one day that will be possible and perhaps commonplace--not anytime on the horizon unfortunately.

Zippyjuan
01-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Everybody will have their own definition of what spending is good for society. No matter what the issue you can find somebody who thinks it is a good idea to spend (taxpayer- not usually their own though) money on it.

MN Patriot
01-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Here's an idea.

Have the Liberty candidates propose ending payroll deductions of taxes. This would require workers to actually write a check once a year, or maybe every three months, however we propose it. Then everyone who owes taxes will quickly become a tax protester.

Just proposing this idea on the campaign trail would open the eyes of millions of Americans to how much government costs them. Then mention the billions of dollars that are wasted by government, just to add to their disgust.

Then the next step.

When those candidates get elected, they actually DO IT. Introduce legislation to end payroll withholding of taxes.

After that, PASS legislation that ends payroll withholding of taxes.

Shortly after that, expect a tax revolt that would make the founders proud.

In a few years after the tax revolt breaks out, abolish the income tax.

ItsTime
01-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Here's an idea.

Have the Liberty candidates propose ending payroll deductions of taxes. This would require workers to actually write a check once a year, or maybe every three months, however we propose it. Then everyone who owes taxes will quickly become a tax protester.

Just proposing this idea on the campaign trail would open the eyes of millions of Americans to how much government costs them. Then mention the billions of dollars that are wasted by government, just to add to their disgust.

Then the next step.

When those candidates get elected, they actually DO IT. Introduce legislation to end payroll withholding of taxes.

After that, PASS legislation that ends payroll withholding of taxes.

Shortly after that, expect a tax revolt that would make the founders proud.

In a few years after the tax revolt breaks out, abolish the income tax.

This should be adopted by the Fair Tax people as well. Those pushing for a Fair Tax should make so the individual needs to keep records of what they buy and every 3/6/12 months they must write a check to the government.

We will see the end of most taxes in a hurry.