PDA

View Full Version : Democratic Congressional Campaign calls CATO a "right wing extremist" group

Anti Federalist
01-24-2010, 01:13 AM
While making today’s announcement that he will once again run for Congress in New York’s 24th district, Hanna also launched a new campaign website where he shamelessly touts his ties to the CATO Institute, a right wing extremist group

http://dccc.org/newsroom/entry/re-run_hanna_returns_remains_committed_to_out_of_touc h_extremists_policies/

inibo
01-24-2010, 01:32 AM
That's funny. I work right down the street from their fortified compound in DC. As you can see it is just bristling with machine guns and land mines.

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/23790214.jpg

Toureg89
01-24-2010, 02:00 AM
i love the CATO Institute. i try to listen to their podcasts as much as possible, but they produce so much material, it gets kind of hard keeping up with all of it.

fletcher
01-24-2010, 02:28 AM
i love the CATO Institute. i try to listen to their podcasts as much as possible, but they produce so much material, it gets kind of hard keeping up with all of it.

I listen to CATOs podcast, but I wouldn't say I love them. They are not fans of Ron Paul and attacked him when he ran for president. Just a month or two ago they were attacking him and Lew Rockwell in the podcast I was listening to. Sometimes they make me sick.

Perium
01-24-2010, 02:43 AM
I enjoy the Cato poscast every so often. I was suprised to hear the were anti-Paul as they seem to share alot of the same ideas...

inibo
01-24-2010, 03:00 AM
I enjoy the Cato poscast every so often. I was suprised to hear the were anti-Paul as they seem to share alot of the same ideas...

Well, there is a long running battle between the Lew Rockwell/Mises/Rothdardians and the Cato/Reason crowd. Lew Rockwell calls the Beltwaytarians.

Anti Federalist
01-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Well, there is a long running battle between the Lew Rockwell/Mises/Rothdardians and the Cato/Reason crowd. Lew Rockwell calls the Beltwaytarians.

Yeah that.

I'm no big fan of (St)ATO either, but they are far from "right wing extremists".

If anything they are as Establishment as any other DC think tank.

Cowlesy
01-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah it's a shame they can't respectfully disagree and have their own little shit-slinging battles that turn a lot of conservatives off from libertarianism.

Imperial
01-24-2010, 06:40 PM
I guess that makes the Brookings Institute a far-left radical group then i guess...

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-24-2010, 06:58 PM
If CATO are right wing extremists I wonder what LvMI are? Let's see 98% of the staff are market-anarchists...I wonder if that means they are really really right wing extremists. lol.

ItsTime
01-24-2010, 07:03 PM
These tactics are to try to shift the debate left of center.

RM918
01-24-2010, 07:32 PM
If CATO are right wing extremists, I suppose we must be Satan incarnate.

Toureg89
01-24-2010, 07:42 PM
I listen to CATOs podcast, but I wouldn't say I love them. They are not fans of Ron Paul and attacked him when he ran for president. Just a month or two ago they were attacking him and Lew Rockwell in the podcast I was listening to. Sometimes they make me sick.

hmmm, i did not know that. :confused: i have actually never seen any of their material with content regarding ron paul. pm in bound.

care to say a link or title of said material:confused:

i'm still young (21 in about 4 hours), s i still have a lot to learn in regards to libertarian in-fighting.

angelatc
01-24-2010, 07:51 PM
h
i'm still young (21 in about 4 hours), s i still have a lot to learn in regards to libertarian in-fighting.

Just watch them nominate a candidate for President in 2010, grasshopper. And happy birthday.

low preference guy
01-24-2010, 07:55 PM
I haven't read the thread. Just one thing though:

CATO SUCKS

They are like Milton Friedman. Right in all the minor issues, wrong in the important ones.
They advocate getting the Government out of most issues, but they don't mind a government monopoly in the creation of money. What a bunch of statist idiots.

Toureg89
01-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Just watch them nominate a candidate for President in 2010, grasshopper. And happy birthday.
thanx. :D

Mini-Me
01-24-2010, 08:09 PM
These tactics are to try to shift the debate left of center.

Although the whole left vs. right thing doesn't exactly make sense to me when libertarianism is involved, you're right nevertheless. If CATO reacts to this at all, they can go one of three ways:
They can backpeddle and cower before the Democratic Congressional Campaign in fear, thereby acquiescing to this attempt to reframe "the debate."
They can hit back in a quid-pro-quo fashion.
They can finally recognize that the establishment will never be at peace with them until they're one and the same. If they want to make progress downsizing the state, they'd be a lot better off joining forces with the more radical libertarians instead of marginalizing them to appear "respectable" to the Washington in-crowd.
I doubt they'll take the third route though...that would require both intelligence and benevolence (and I get the feeling they've long been controlled opposition).