PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol scam is killing people.

sofia
01-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Fighting "global warming" KILLS people.........................................

One quarter of US grain crops fed to cars - not people, new figures showNew analysis of 2009 US Department of Agriculture figures suggests biofuel revolution is impacting on world food su

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jan/22/quarter-us-grain-biofuels-food

One-quarter of all the maize and other grain crops grown in the US now ends up as biofuel in cars rather than being used to feed people, according to new analysis which suggests that the biofuel revolution launched by former President George Bush in 2007 is impacting on world food supplies.

The 2009 figures from the US Department of Agriculture shows ethanol production rising to record levels driven by farm subsidies and laws which require vehicles to use increasing amounts of biofuels.

"The grain grown to produce fuel in the US [in 2009] was enough to feed 330 million people for one year at average world consumption levels," said Lester Brown, the director of the Earth Policy Institute, a Washington thinktank ithat conducted the analysis.

Last year 107m tonnes of grain, mostly corn, was grown by US farmers to be blended with petrol. This was nearly twice as much as in 2007, when Bush challenged farmers to increase production by 500% by 2017 to save cut oil imports and reduce carbon emissions.

More than 80 new ethanol plants have been built since then, with more expected by 2015, by which time the US will need to produce a further 5bn gallons of ethanol if it is to meet its renewable fuel standard.

According to Brown, the growing demand for US ethanol derived from grains helped to push world grain prices to record highs between late 2006 and 2008. In 2008, the Guardian revealed a secret World Bank report that concluded that the drive for biofuels by American and European governments had pushed up food prices by 75%, in stark contrast to US claims that prices had risen only 2-3% as a result.

Since then, the number of hungry people in the world has increased to over 1 billion people, according to the UN's World Food programme.

"Continuing to divert more food to fuel, as is now mandated by the US federal government in its renewable fuel standard, will likely only reinforce the disturbing rise in world hunger. By subsidising the production of ethanol to the tune of some $6bn each year, US taxpayers are in effect subsidising rising food bills at home and around the world," said Brown.

"The worst economic crisis since the great depression has recently brought food prices down from their peak, but they still remain well above their long-term average levels."

The US is by far the world's leading grain exporter, exporting more than Argentina, Australia, Canada, and Russia combined. In 2008, the UN called for a comprehensive review of biofuel production from food crops.

"There is a direct link between biofuels and food prices. The needs of the hungry must come before the needs of cars," said Meredith Alexander, biofuels campaigner at ActionAid in London. As well as the effect on food, campaigners also argue that many scientists question whether biofuels made from food crops actually save any greenhouse gas emissions.

But ethanol producers deny that their record production means less food. "Continued innovation in ethanol production and agricultural technology means that we don't have to make a false choice between food and fuel. We can more than meet the demand for food and livestock feed while reducing our dependence on foreign oil through the production of homegrown renewable ethanol," said Tom Buis, the chief executive of industry group Growth Energy.

Danke
01-23-2010, 09:44 PM
And they get farm subsidies.

I have read it actually takes more oil/energy to produce ethanol than what it yields.

TheConstitutionLives
01-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Those pesky unintended consequences rear their ugly heads yet again.

TheConstitutionLives
01-23-2010, 09:52 PM
And they get farm subsidies.

I have read it actually takes more oil/energy to produce ethanol than what it yields.

And it also destroys small engines. Do NOT put ethanol gasoline in small engines or motorcycles if you can keep from it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25936782/

Mechanics see ethanol damaging small engines
Fuel blend, already implicated in high food prices, linked to rise in repairs

By Alex Johnson
Reporter
msnbc.com
updated 8:44 a.m. CT, Fri., Aug 1, 2008

Rick Kitchings has been a small-engine mechanic for about 30 years, and he’s been busier than ever lately.

Recently, a customer came into his shop in Savannah, Ga., with a string trimmer that had barely been used. “It looked like it just came off the showroom floor, but the motor was absolutely shot, absolutely worn out,” Kitchings said.

The owner had fueled the trimmer with an gasoline-ethanol blend, which is becoming increasingly common thanks to a federal mandate to convert to biofuels.

malkusm
01-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Shared this, thanks for the link.

jkr
01-23-2010, 10:06 PM
ahem!

HEMP

Matt Collins
01-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Hmmm.... Iowa is first in the US. Iowa's main crop is corn. Is it any wonder the feds have rushed to make corn-based ethanol mandatory?

jmdrake
01-23-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm all for getting rid of subsidies. That said this article is overly simplistic. It's not an "either or" proposition as in "Make ethanol or feed the corn to animals and/or people". There is something called "distillers grain". That's basically the left over corn after you make ethanol. Feed animals love it.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=distillers+grain+ethanol&aq=f&aql=&aqi=&oq=&fp=ba0a4630ce98f7da

awake
01-23-2010, 10:49 PM
The polices to try and deal with global warming will kill many; the apologists will simply blame global warming and use the fear to enact even further deadly policies. A vicious evil cycle.

They destroyed the economy in the same fashion. They boom and bust the market with mountainous regulations and constant currency debasement, then blame lack of regulation and not enough currency debasement as the cause.

We have very stupid and evil people leading the human race off of a cliff.

Bossobass
01-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Earlier this year the Jetta TDI set a new Guinness World Record for Lowest Fuel Consumption as it averaged 58.82 miles per gallon as it traveled through the 48 contiguous states. EPA research has concluded that if diesels were to power one third of all light duty vehicles in the United States, the shift would save approximately 1.4 million barrels of oil a day -- equal to the daily shipments from Saudi Arabia to the U.S.

I wrote VW and asked why their cars aren't listed on any of the "highest MPG" lists. They said, "The lists in the US do not include diesel cars".

VW isn't allowed to advertise the record high mileage of the TDI versions of their vehicles in the US.

They also wrote to tell me that they were test-marketing a 3 cylinder version that gets 82 mpg in the US. I wrote back: "Test-schmest, I'll take one. I don't care how it's equipped or what color it is."

That was 2 years ago. Never heard of the so-called test since.

I have a Golf TDI (average = 52 mpg) and a Jetta TDI (average = 55 mpg) and they both will run on WVO (waste vegetable oil bio-diesel) with no problem.

Saving the world from emissions is a joke. Bush is the devil. Ethanol is bull shit.

Average fleet mileage for GM = 20.1 mpg. Do the math.

Bosso

Fox McCloud
01-23-2010, 11:52 PM
it's pretty bad, and is worse than you think: http://mises.org/daily/3934

dgr
01-24-2010, 12:13 AM
It takes 4 gallons of water to make one gallon of ethonol.
And guess what all that genetically engenered corn is sterile, so no seeds to grow more corn.

langoley
01-24-2010, 05:00 PM
And it takes 2 gallons of OIL to make 1 gallon of ETHONOL ,not to mention the fact that corn prices have almost DOUBLED,therefore the price of meat in your grocery store has DOUBLED also!!I raise beef cattle,trust me,feed prices are outragous,in the last 5 years they have doubled,yet we are not getting a penny more for our stock.

MN Patriot
01-24-2010, 10:27 PM
And it also destroys small engines. Do NOT put ethanol gasoline in small engines or motorcycles if you can keep from it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25936782/

Mechanics see ethanol damaging small engines
Fuel blend, already implicated in high food prices, linked to rise in repairs

By Alex Johnson
Reporter
msnbc.com
updated 8:44 a.m. CT, Fri., Aug 1, 2008

Rick Kitchings has been a small-engine mechanic for about 30 years, and he’s been busier than ever lately.

Recently, a customer came into his shop in Savannah, Ga., with a string trimmer that had barely been used. “It looked like it just came off the showroom floor, but the motor was absolutely shot, absolutely worn out,” Kitchings said.

The owner had fueled the trimmer with an gasoline-ethanol blend, which is becoming increasingly common thanks to a federal mandate to convert to biofuels.

The damage to small engines has been overstated. I've been running my fleet of snowmobiles on ethanol for years now. No problems. Same with all the rest of my gas powered stuff. It was a problem earlier, when gaskets and o-rings weren't compatible. One positive from ethanol: fuel lines don't freeze in the winter. It absorbs the water, instead of having it pool up in the bottom of the tank.

Icymudpuppy
01-24-2010, 11:16 PM
The damage to small engines has been overstated. I've been running my fleet of snowmobiles on ethanol for years now. No problems. Same with all the rest of my gas powered stuff. It was a problem earlier, when gaskets and o-rings weren't compatible. One positive from ethanol: fuel lines don't freeze in the winter. It absorbs the water, instead of having it pool up in the bottom of the tank.

It's not so bad on 4-strokes. But 2 stroke motors will definitely burn up. Anything that needs blended oil/fuel mixes will be destroyed by ethanol. Chainsaws, trimmers, some moto-cross bikes, etc.

On the other hand, some vehicles don't mind it at all. My 1955 International Pickup runs fine on E-85. But I sure wouldn't put Arco gas in my Husqvarna Chainsaw.

Isaac Bickerstaff
01-25-2010, 08:18 AM
I'm all for getting rid of subsidies. That said this article is overly simplistic. It's not an "either or" proposition as in "Make ethanol or feed the corn to animals and/or people". There is something called "distillers grain". That's basically the left over corn after you make ethanol. Feed animals love it.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=distillers+grain+ethanol&aq=f&aql=&aqi=&oq=&fp=ba0a4630ce98f7da

Not a good idea at all. That is not asking for an e-coli outbreak, it is demanding it.
If we got rid of farm subsidies, feedlot beef would be a thing of the past and e-coli 0157:h7 would be as rare as smallpox.

http://www.eatwild.com/foodsafety.html

If we got rid of energy subsidies, the true cost of growing corn would be revealed and nobody would feed corn to ruminants anymore, and the productivity and profitability of farmland would double.