PDA

View Full Version : J.D. Hayworth: 'Time For (McCain) to Come Home'

bobbyw24
01-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Saturday, January 23, 2010
J.D. Hayworth: 'Time For (McCain) to Come Home'
Posted by: Meredith Jessup at 2:24 PM
Former Rep. J.D. Hayworth says he's planning to challenge Arizona's current senior Senator, John McCain, during the upcoming Republican primary election. CNN reports:

The former six-term congressman stepped down Friday as host of his conservative talk radio program on a radio station in Phoenix.

"We will formally announce at a later time, but we're moving forward to challenge John McCain," Hayworth told the Associated Press. "I think we all respect John. I think his place in history is secure. But after close to a quarter-century in Washington, it's time for him to come home." ...

Hayworth told AP that a recent "outpouring of support" from people in Arizona asking him to run changed his mind about challenging McCain, the 2008 GOP presidential nominee and four-term senator who's up for re-election this year.

McCain's already facing a primary challenge from Chris Simcox, a co-founder of the Minuteman movement. Simcox announced his candidacy last April and then resigned from the volunteer organization, which tries to prevent illegal crossings of the U.S. border. McCain's past support of immigration reform legislation in Congress nearly derailed his presidential bid two years ago.

And, as I noted earlier this week, former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin will be appearing in Arizona to fundraise for her old running mate. Should be an interesting election to watch down in Arizona...

parocks
01-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Yes, it should be an interesting election to watch down in Arizona.

I expect people arguing about this race here just like they were doing about the Mass race.

It will be somewhat interesting to see if anyone changes their talking points here, and why.

Saturday, January 23, 2010
J.D. Hayworth: 'Time For (McCain) to Come Home'
Posted by: Meredith Jessup at 2:24 PM
Former Rep. J.D. Hayworth says he's planning to challenge Arizona's current senior Senator, John McCain, during the upcoming Republican primary election. CNN reports:

The former six-term congressman stepped down Friday as host of his conservative talk radio program on a radio station in Phoenix.

"We will formally announce at a later time, but we're moving forward to challenge John McCain," Hayworth told the Associated Press. "I think we all respect John. I think his place in history is secure. But after close to a quarter-century in Washington, it's time for him to come home." ...

Hayworth told AP that a recent "outpouring of support" from people in Arizona asking him to run changed his mind about challenging McCain, the 2008 GOP presidential nominee and four-term senator who's up for re-election this year.

McCain's already facing a primary challenge from Chris Simcox, a co-founder of the Minuteman movement. Simcox announced his candidacy last April and then resigned from the volunteer organization, which tries to prevent illegal crossings of the U.S. border. McCain's past support of immigration reform legislation in Congress nearly derailed his presidential bid two years ago.

And, as I noted earlier this week, former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin will be appearing in Arizona to fundraise for her old running mate. Should be an interesting election to watch down in Arizona...

MR2Fast2Catch
01-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Good to hear. I'm glad someone's running who has a shot at beating McCain. While I'm not a big fan of Hayworth, he is still more conservative than McCain, so I would easily pick J.D. over McCain.

I had the oppurtunity to meat JD Hayworth in his studio last year, very good sense of humor and a fun guy to talk to. I don't like him on foreign policy because he's just as bad as McCain, but JD is much more of a fiscal conservative I think.

Stary Hickory
01-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Good to hear. I'm glad someone's running who has a shot at beating McCain. While I'm not a big fan of Hayworth, he is still more conservative than McCain, so I would easily pick J.D. over McCain.

I had the oppurtunity to meat JD Hayworth in his studio last year, very good sense of humor and a fun guy to talk to. I don't like him on foreign policy because he's just as bad as McCain, but JD is much more of a fiscal conservative I think.

Yeah I am the same way I'll take an improvement over McCain but I'll also take an improvement over Hayworth if he can't get his foreign policy straight.

South Park Fan
01-23-2010, 11:34 PM
Have people here forgotten that there's already a liberty candidate (http://www.simcoxforsenate.com) in the race?

parocks
01-24-2010, 12:10 AM
Have people here forgotten that there's already a liberty candidate (http://www.simcoxforsenate.com) in the race?

Some may have. Some may not have ever known. Some may recognize that Simcox is below 5% in the polls after being a candidate for over 6 months, and that makes it unlikely that he'd win, especially now with Hayworth in the race. It's similar to the Massachusetts situation, probably many situations. Simcox would likely have gotten more support going forward if Hayworth didn't join the race. With or without Hayworth, many conservatives would have wanted McCain out, and would've supported Simcox if Simcox was the only option besides McCain.

I would still watch Simcox in case Hayworth falters. It's going to be harder now for Simcox to raise money.