PDA

View Full Version : Iranian tow truck guy

ronpaulitician
10-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Car's in repair shop, which sucks, as I had just planned on making a big splash to Paul's campaign fund.

Had it towed after work.

"Who is Ron Paul? Is he a Democrat?" two truck guy asked, after having put my car on the flatbed. (I have 5 stickers on back, two on front, and two on each side.)

"No, he's a Republican. He's the one that wants us out of Iraq."

"Is he the older guy, with the white hair?"

"Yup, that's the one. The tall and skinny guy."

Turns out this guy is from Iran. "Going into Iraq was the biggest mistake this country ever made," he told me. "That Bush guy is crazy in the head. His father knew we shouldn't have gone in. All we had to do is contain the guy. He was no threat to us. Now we're stuck in this mess."

He also said that he believed that, if we wanted to, we could get bin Laden, but that we've struck some kind of deal with the royal Saudi family, and are basically doing to bin Laden what we should've been doing with Saddam: just keeping him contained.

Then he told me that we cannot leave Iraq until we've installed the next brutal dictator. "It will become a terrorist breeding ground if we leave now." How long will we have to stay there then, I asked. "Too long. Decades, perhaps. Iraqis are crazy. The whole Middle East is crazy, especially Pakistan and Iraq. Iran is no threat."

I shifted the conversation to our financial situation. "China has us by the balls," he said. I explained how we're tens of trillions in debt, said something about China's "nuclear option", pointed out how the US dollar is now trading on par with the Canadian dollar. My aim was to argue that although pulling out may result in something bad, not pulling out will result in something even worse: a bankrupt US.

The problem was that I think I came off as pretty knowledgable about the Middle East (I was often able to complete his sentences when he had trouble finding the right word/name. I knew about Hamas and Hezbollah, and how they're basically at war with one another. I knew a bit about our involvement in the regime change in Iran. I knew plenty about the background of Saddam.), which made him talk and talk and talk, never really allowing me to make my point that we soon may no longer be in a position to decide whether or not we want to keep our troops in Iraq, because we wouldn't have the financial resources. Worse, there'd be little left to defend here at home.

He said George Bush (sr) was the best president we have had in recent history. He seemed to like Clinton as well. He said the country wasn't ready yet for a female president, or for a black president. "Giuliani is a gentleman," he said just after lowering my car off of the flatbed. "People really like him." I had mentioned earlier on in our conversation that I believed the GOP frontrunners (except Paul) are all looking forward to a war with Iran. At this point of the conversation though, I didn't want to ruin the positive image I hoped he had gotten of a Paul supporter, so I let it go and wished him a safe trip home.

I did walk away somewhat confused at an Iranian who does not believe Iran to be a threat supporting Giuliani. He also liked McCain ("Who's that other guy? No, not Romney. No, not Thompson. Yes, McCain."), but I told him about McCain's fundraising number, which seemed to convince him that McCain was no longer a real contender. I don't think he had even heard of Romney. The name Thompson also didn't seem to ring a bell.

Not a success story, but thought it interesting nonetheless.

Nefertiti
10-05-2007, 10:49 AM
There are two things you have to understand about Iranians:

1-Iran hates Iraq and Saddam because Iraq dragged it into an 8 year war.
2-Many Iranians in the US left after the Revolution because they were not enamored of the current regime.

Therefore, while they don't perceive their country as a real threat, they also hate Iraq and often the current Iranian government. I'm not entirely sure that Ron Paul would really appeal to them as much as some of the other candidates might.

ronpaulitician
10-05-2007, 10:51 AM
There are two things you have to understand about Iranians:

1-Iran hates Iraq and Saddam because Iraq dragged it into an 8 year war.
Yeah, he mentioned that Iraq started the war, and that the US sold Iraq (cheap) weaponry to support the US economy.

He also seemed to have a beef with Islam in general.

MicroBalrog
10-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Yeah, he mentioned that Iraq started the war, and that the US sold Iraq (cheap) weaponry to support the US economy.

Quite possibly, but the oppressive majority of Iraq's weapons were no American in origin.

Kregener
10-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Not their conventional weaponry, but their WMD's? Yeah, we helped broker a bunch of that.

MicroBalrog
10-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Not their conventional weaponry, but their WMD's? Yeah, we helped broker a bunch of that.

Well, yes. The US helped Iraq at some stages of the war, including during their WMD build-up. However, the US was never the principal supplier of either WMD, their precursors, or conventional weapons to Iraq.

In December 2002, Iraq's 1,200 page Weapons Declaration revealed a list of Eastern and Western corporations and countries—as well as individuals—that exported chemical and biological materials to Iraq in the past two decades. By far, the largest suppliers of precursors for chemical weapons production were in Singapore (4,515 tons), the Netherlands (4,261 tons), Egypt (2,400 tons), India (2,343 tons), and Germany (1,027 tons). One Indian company, Exomet Plastics (now part of EPC Industrie) sent 2,292 tons of precursor chemicals to Iraq. The Kim Al-Khaleej firm of Singapore supplied more than 4,500 tons of VX, sarin, and mustard gas precursors and production equipment to Iraq. [12]

By contrast, Alcolac International, for example, a Maryland company, transported thiodiglycol, a mustard gas precursor, to Iraq. Alcolac was small and was successfully prosecuted for its violations of export control law. The firm pleaded guilty in 1989.

In contrast the complete US supplies of chemical weapons precursors totaled, as far as I can get from here:

List of US arms suppliers who helped Iraq (http://www.laweekly.com/news/news/made-in-the-usa-part-iii-us-company-listings-a-m/2888/#MAHO)

was about 360 tons.

The principal US WMD precursor supplier was broken up by the US government.

ronpaulitician
10-05-2007, 11:37 AM
:(

Engine gone.

$4,000.

F*ck.

DrNoZone
10-05-2007, 11:42 AM

Engine gone.

$4,000.

F*ck.

Ouch man...that sucks. Maybe it'd be better just giving up on that car and getting another for that price?

And I thought my unexpected $500 root canal was bad.

saku39
10-05-2007, 12:23 PM

Engine gone.

$4,000.

F*ck.

Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck.

noxagol
10-05-2007, 12:31 PM
buy one from a junk yard, find a friend who knows cars and replace it. If it is anything like my car, 300 dollars or so and 3 days later your car runs again.

ronpaulitician
10-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Ouch man...that sucks. Maybe it'd be better just giving up on that car and getting another for that price?
Definitely. There's no way I'm putting $4,000 into a 1996 car.

Nefertiti
10-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Yes, you could buy a 1996 car for less than that!

By the way, thanks for the insight on the Iranian viewpoint. I'd be curious to hear if any other people here have talked to Iranian-Americans about Ron Paul. We have an event here on Sunday that might attract a lot of them and I'm wondering whether it is worth canvassing and/or how to pitch RP to them.

Electrostatic
10-05-2007, 06:15 PM
My gawd, I got a new ford focus for $10...