PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul hanging out with Mark Sanford?

Knightskye
01-22-2010, 03:24 AM
http://www.thestate.com/politics/story/1122009.html

Sanford, a former congressman, was in Washington, D.C., on official business. But he took some time to go see old friends on the hill.

According to media reports, Sanford spent some time with U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, the Texas Republican who ran for president in 2008 and its credited with helping start the so-called Tea Party movement.

Sanford's political career has been damaged, if not ended, by his June disappearance. But among libertarian-leaning Republicans, Sanford and Paul are heroes.

Paul is expected to run for president again in 2012. So The Buzz wonders, is Sanford sowing the seeds for 2012? Stranger things have happened.

What do you think? Is Sanford a "hero"?

0zzy
01-22-2010, 03:36 AM

He could have been, he did great in Congress and was doing good work in State. Then he f'd up soo o o o o o o o o o o o o bad.

silverhawks
01-22-2010, 09:35 AM
No, Sanford is yet another neo-con looking to associate himself with libertarians/constitutionalists.

Epic
01-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Paul is expected to run for president again in 2012.

Bam.

Kludge
01-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Who the fuck´s writing this?

Sanford was mildly popular here as a potential 2012 pres candidate to back a few months prior to his career-breaking scandal, but by no means is he a libertarian-leaning-Republican hero.

I quit reading once I reached "Paul is expected to run for president again in 2012."

Cowlesy
01-22-2010, 09:50 AM
It's over for Sanford.

That doesn't mean Ron would dump him as a friend like most politicians do when a colleague is embroiled in a scandal.

klamath
01-22-2010, 10:09 AM
No hero here. I suspect that was a little bit of an uncomfortable meeting of old friends. Sanford showed his character.

LibertyEagle
01-22-2010, 10:31 AM
No, Sanford is yet another neo-con looking to associate himself with libertarians/constitutionalists.

Why do you consider him a neocon?

haaaylee
01-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Neo-con? Please. Cheater? Yes. Hero? Not Really. Friend of Ron Paul's? Yes. Best Governor on our side before he fucked it up? Yes. Him fucking it up? Priceless.

dannno
01-22-2010, 10:16 PM

If this were true "they" wouldn't have set him up.

I say "hero", if for no other reason, then that he was setup by "them". That means he wasn't playing ball.

0zzy
01-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Neo-con? Please. Cheater? Yes. Hero? Not Really. Friend of Ron Paul's? Yes. Best Governor on our side before he fucked it up? Yes. Him fucking it up? Priceless.

this.

random chants of neocon going towards Sanford are misguided and unfounded.

"BUTTT HE SUPPORTED A NEOOOCOOOON"

This may be true, but I judge a man by his actions. He had some of the best voting stances in the House and did his best in the State. Then he sipped on love potion #9 and things got spunky with him, and he started admitting things he really shouldn't have. Once they found out he still talkedtalkedtalked "oh this wasnt the first time, blahblahblah" i was like STFU SANFORD WTF IS WRONG WITH U! ITS OVER NO NEED TO SPILL MORE BEANS!

and.../rant

angelatc
01-22-2010, 10:22 PM

That's ridiculous.

RSLudlum
01-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Sanford is no hero but his stance against our status-quo, spend thrift republican controlled state legislature should be proof enough that his political principles are genuine but I can't say so much about his own principles in his personal life. He stood up and turned the on the heat in DC when it was needed but unfortunately, also in Argentina.

Also, don't forget his stance against the Real ID.

qh4dotcom
01-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Anyone who voted Republican and is criticizing Mark Sanford is a hypocrite. Many Republicans voted for the certified adulterer McCain. If someone thinks it's Ok for an adulterer to become president, then there should be no problems with letting an adulterer governor finish his term.

In case you didn't know about the affair McCain had

http://www.snopes.com/politics/mccain/carol.asp

At least Sanford didn't dump his wife and marry his mistress like McCain did.

RM918
01-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Anyone who voted Republican and is criticizing Mark Sanford is a hypocrite. Many Republicans voted for the certified adulterer McCain. If someone thinks it's Ok for an adulterer to become president, then there should be no problems with letting an adulterer governor finish his term.

In case you didn't know about the affair McCain had

http://www.snopes.com/politics/mccain/carol.asp

At least Sanford didn't dump his wife and marry his mistress like McCain did.

I voted for Paul in the primary, then Baldwin in the general. Certainly never voted for McCain.

As for Sanford, so long as they don't go hiking together I don't care.

Stary Hickory
01-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Sanford had a lot of respect for Ron Paul. If you guys would chill sometimes maybe you would see it. When Sanford was in DC when Paul voted no on something Sanford did not he would go up to him to ask why.

It's obvious he values and respects what Ron Paul has to say, but what the hell you guys chewed him up and spit him out. I always liked Sanford, I was thinking he'd make a good run at the presidency. He was one of the most libertarian/conservative front runners that had a chance in 2012....course the affair ended all that. But it's nice to see he still respects Ron Paul.

dgr
01-24-2010, 09:07 PM
At least Sanford had the excuse of "being in love for the first time in his life".
Palin has no excuse for campaigning for McCain and especially not with a race that should be between the other 2 candidates, with McCain retiring for the good of the people of Az. . ( the GOP, the nation, the world,.....)
as for friends , where would we be if our friends stopped talking to us every time we made bad choices and vis versa

lx43
01-25-2010, 06:06 PM
this.

random chants of neocon going towards Sanford are misguided and unfounded.

"BUTTT HE SUPPORTED A NEOOOCOOOON"

This may be true, but I judge a man by his actions. He had some of the best voting stances in the House and did his best in the State. Then he sipped on love potion #9 and things got spunky with him, and he started admitting things he really shouldn't have. Once they found out he still talkedtalkedtalked "oh this wasnt the first time, blahblahblah" i was like STFU SANFORD WTF IS WRONG WITH U! ITS OVER NO NEED TO SPILL MORE BEANS!

and.../rant

lol love potion number 9

rockandrollsouls
01-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Hate to tell you guys this, but Sanford is a Neo-Con. When he was evidently laying the seeds for a run with his numerous TV appearances, do you not recall the off-flavor things he said? He was promoting some very unconstitutional things....

0zzy
01-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Hate to tell you guys this, but Sanford is a Neo-Con. When he was evidently laying the seeds for a run with his numerous TV appearances, do you not recall the off-flavor things he said? He was promoting some very unconstitutional things....

I don't think he was a neocon, from my understanding of the definition of neocon.

dannno
01-25-2010, 07:27 PM
If he was a neocon they wouldn't have set him up.

It's really easy to tell what's going on by how the media and TPTB react.

rockandrollsouls
01-25-2010, 07:35 PM

I'm willing to admit he was looking better than the worst of them, but it would have been too much of a compromise for me to vote for him knowing some of the things he supported.

And "set up" isn't the word.....try "caught." He doomed himself. :rolleyes:

TheConstitutionLives
01-25-2010, 09:46 PM

I don't know about "hero" but I don't see the big deal. Sanford had a mistress. That doesn't mean he's not good at defending liberty. Sure he used some state funds to travel but how much money has he saved the state by not allowing the Air Conditioner to run at the state capitol? I'll take him over 99% of all known politicians.

TheConstitutionLives
01-25-2010, 09:49 PM

They didn't "set him up". The media would latch on to the hot topic of traveling to visit a mistress no matter who the potential presidential contender is.

Aratus
01-26-2010, 09:03 AM
the young SC lt. gov is a hotdog and just got into media hot water over
an insensitive remark he made, and if the political fall-out translates into
governor sanford keeping his day-job briefly as the governor's race becomes
a melee as candidates on both sides roar into the same, the national media
may soon relocate from new england rather happily! the black dude who
had a bill having May 10th as a paid state holiday rather than a local or county
discretion, he's also one of the contenders on the Democrat side of things...

Aratus
01-26-2010, 09:06 AM
could governor sanford trounce the "young pup' underneath him right now, in terms of the g.o.p
nomination? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/35067031/ns/politics-more_politics/?gt1=43001 he keeps his day job???

Carole
01-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Remember Mark Sanford visited the CFR during 2008 elections.

Brian4Liberty
01-26-2010, 01:11 PM
They didn't "set him up". The media would latch on to the hot topic of traveling to visit a mistress no matter who the potential presidential contender is.

The left media was extra sensationalist on that story. They already knew what he was up to (there were leaks), but led the story for a couple of days with "Oh no, a governor is missing!". It wasn't an average news story, and there was no presidential campaign going on. There have been plenty of Presidents where the press completely ignores his affairs. The worst kept secret was that Clinton was constantly fooling around, back in his days as Governor. Where was the media drama on that?

The media shapes the news for their own agendas. That is a fact.

Knightskye
01-26-2010, 02:13 PM
How's Sanford on foreign policy?

iddo
01-26-2010, 02:40 PM

He gave conflicting messages:
1) "I don’t believe in preemptive war. For us to hold the moral high ground in the world, our default position must be defensive" (http://www.amconmag.com/article/2009/mar/09/00006/)
2) http://www.prisonplanet.com/gingrich-attack-north-korea-with-electromagnetic-pulse.html

It was discussed before e.g. in this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=192900

0zzy
01-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Remember Mark Sanford visited the CFR during 2008 elections.

So has 50,000 other people. point? I judge on policies and damn it, I believe Sanford would be at least 80% good for President, and that's 50% better than anyone else.

rockandrollsouls
01-26-2010, 10:00 PM
So has 50,000 other people. point? I judge on policies and damn it, I believe Sanford would be at least 80% good for President, and that's 50% better than anyone else.

Looks like you need to be put in your place again...

Let's start small.

How do you explain the conflicting views he's expressed, Ozzy?

tonesforjonesbones
01-26-2010, 11:12 PM
I do not believe any of those things happened to sanford. I believe he didn't comply with the swindlus package...he refused it. They set him up.. there was no girlfriend tones

Knightskye
01-27-2010, 01:43 AM
I do not believe any of those things happened to sanford. I believe he didn't comply with the swindlus package...he refused it. They set him up.. there was no girlfriend tones

Fake text messages, fake tears, fake remorse?

libertarian4321
01-29-2010, 04:21 AM

So "they" (who, the Bilderbergers? CFR? Illuminati? the guys in black helicopters? international bankers?) drugged Sanford, made him fly to the Appalachian trail portion of Argentina, then held his "member" and forced him to shove it into some Argentine woman on numerous occasions? Then they forced him to profess his love for his mistress to his wife?

God damn, "they" are clever.

If "they" are so powerful, why has Ron Paul not been caught along the Appalachian trail with his mistress? Surely he is more of a threat to "them" than Sanford was.

Or maybe it's something simpler. Maybe Sanford is just a weak willed man who seriously fucked up- just like John Edwards and Larry Craig and Vitter and Senator Ensign and Bill Clinton and Marion Barry (my personal favorite- I just love that "bitch set me up" tape) and dozens of others over the years.

libertarian4321
01-29-2010, 04:26 AM

He apparently has good relations with the Argentine people, other than that, I don't know.

libertarian4321
01-29-2010, 04:38 AM

Yup, you've got to admit, Sanford fucked up in royal style. Zipping off to Argentina while claiming to be hiking, just to bang and/or break up with his mistress/true love? Wow, that's pretty rich stuff. Seems to me that Sanford out Clinton'd Clinton (though I suspect old Bill still has a scandal or two left in him- so he may regain his crown as the nation's most prominent philanderer).

Other than the fact that he used taxpayer money to fund his affair, I don't really care. But Sanford is a Republican, and it will be a long time, if ever, before that party or prudes (GOP) accepts him back as a serious politician.

Join The Paul Side
01-29-2010, 05:31 PM

Just because your friend cheats on his wife doesn't mean you have to stop being his friend. Your friend's adultery is his problem for him to deal with, not you, I, or Ron Paul.

God only knows where I would be if my best friends turned their backs on me when I made a mistake. The point is they didn't and I'm a better man for it thanks to them and I return the favor by not turning my back on them when they fuck up either.

For goodness sakes, people, it's Mark Sanford, not O.J. Simpson. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Flash
01-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Sanford didn't endorse Ron Paul when it actually mattered.