PDA

View Full Version : Huckabee's *new* grassroots movement... to little to late?

barcop
10-05-2007, 09:52 AM
I just went to Huckabee's site for the first time and reading through his little blog thing... it seems they are trying to start up some sort of grassroots movement.

What are your opinions? To little to late? Or something to worry about?

margomaps
10-05-2007, 09:59 AM
A "grassroots" movement initiated by the central campaign...isn't that an oxymoron?

I don't think it can happen. And if it does, it's way too late to matter anyway.

micahnelson
10-05-2007, 10:00 AM
I think his supporters are easily convertible. They dont know how to use the internet, so they will not be able to do what we do.

We should target them for when he drops and hope he doesn't take a veep spot.

Huxx supporters have their heart in the right place- they want an "outsider", they don't like the IRS. We need to sell them on how to practically eliminate the IRS and the fact that we can't have low taxes while having soldiers all over the world.

The economic and "policing the world" angle is how we are going to win the foreign policy debate. Letting the arguement become about supporting the troops or fighting terrorism is how we lose it.

Yes, we can argue that supporting the troops means not being cavalier with their loyalty. Yes we can argue that we are safer from terrorists by not being involved in the region. We lose these points though because they will see us as naive hippies even if we get these points across. We need to focus on the economic aspect, and frame our involvement in terms of globalism and UN Mandating.

We have won the topic that Iraq and 9/11 were not directly related, so feel free to use that one.

kylejack
10-05-2007, 10:03 AM
This type of top-down "grassroots" movement is referred to as "astro-turf" these days, as it is false grassroots. This is common for telecom companies and etc.

Original_Intent
10-05-2007, 10:03 AM
You can't "start up" a grass roots movement.

I really believe it is true what Ron Paul says: In large part he got caught up in OUR movement because he is the right man with the right message at the right time.

He is the only one out there and probably the only presidential candidate in 100 years who was sincerely reluctant to run and decided to do so with no egotistical baggage but is WILLING to do so as a SERVANT to the American people.

Huckabee may be a pretty decent guy, but he, like all the others, is a self promoter, Ron Paul only is concerned with promoting THE MESSAGE.

That's the big difference.

barcop
10-05-2007, 10:04 AM
A "grassroots" movement initiated by the central campaign...isn't that an oxymoron?

I don't think it can happen. And if it does, it's way too late to matter anyway.

Haha... well yeah pretty much. But I'm going by the comments left on the blogs by his supporters. At least it looks like its a supporter blog system... just linked on the main campaign site.

I think it's way to late for him... but it is funny seeing how excited they are that he raised a million. That makes him top tier in their minds.

jonahtrainer
10-05-2007, 12:52 PM
You can't "start up" a grass roots movement.

I really believe it is true what Ron Paul says: In large part he got caught up in OUR movement because he is the right man with the right message at the right time.

He is the only one out there and probably the only presidential candidate in 100 years who was sincerely reluctant to run and decided to do so with no egotistical baggage but is WILLING to do so as a SERVANT to the American people.

Huckabee may be a pretty decent guy, but he, like all the others, is a self promoter, Ron Paul only is concerned with promoting THE MESSAGE.

That's the big difference.

I agree. I saw somewhere "Ron Paul isn't running for President. The Internet is running Ron Paul." I think that captures the essence of what is happening. Even better, Ron Paul is humble enough to admit it. He is a role model.