PDA

View Full Version : Haiti Aid Deductible for 2009 Taxes

MelissaWV
01-20-2010, 07:00 PM
This is pretty silly since I've already done my taxes for this year :rolleyes: Not that I can itemize anyhow, but I found this article hilarious and depressing. They really can't get their act together to do anything meaningful, but as long as it makes them look good on paper and look like they "care," stuff gets passed instantly.

The House of Representatives on Wednesday unanimously approved a bill that would allow taxpayers to claim a charitable deduction on their 2009 tax returns for donations made to the Haiti earthquake relief effort.

The change is similar to one Congress enacted in early 2005 for donations to the victims of the Indian Ocean tsunami that occurred in the last week of 2004. The Senate introduced a related bill Wednesday for Haiti contributions.

"We all witnessed the horrendous event that took place in our hemisphere last week and have united in a bipartisan way to do what we can to ease the pain of those who are suffering in Haiti," Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, said in a statement.

The bill would allow anyone who donates to the Haiti relief effort to deduct the contribution on their 2009 return as opposed to waiting until next year to deduct on their 2010 return. It includes a provision to allow anyone who sent a donation via text message to use their phone bill as proof.

Rep. Dave Camp, R-Mich., ranking member on the committee, urged Congress to quickly send it to the president's desk.

"To the extent this legislation can encourage Americans to increase what has already been an outpouring of generous support for the people of Haiti, it deserves the support of every member of this House, the Senate and the president's immediate signature," he said.

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-20-2010, 07:56 PM
can I file my tax money that obama sent to haiti as a write off?

Reason
01-20-2010, 08:15 PM

Off to the reeducation camp for you!

MelissaWV
01-21-2010, 07:08 AM

I wish... though if you do think about it, this means less tax money coming into the coffers. I thought "we" were already super low on money? Now we're not only sending $100,000,000 (which is the most bullshit figure I've heard in awhile) in aid, but we're reducing our tax intake? :mad: DECIDE, people!!! Either Congress is short on money and we're all about to get a daily ration of Ramen, or we're the richest country in the world, the great banner of Freedom and Justice, ready to help our poor brothers and sisters to the south (no, not Mexico... no, not Cuba... you're getting close, though), and we can afford a little bitty hundred MILLION dollars, and in fact we can also choose to take a pay cut.

Elwar
01-21-2010, 08:27 AM
I didn't donate anything to Haiti precicely because it's already being done for me through my tax dollars. Even though I would have probably donated more.

It's kinda like when a restaurant automatically adds your 15% tip in to the check, I don't leave a tip. Even though I usually tip over 20%.

angelatc
01-21-2010, 08:29 AM
NM: It's allowing people to write it off ASAP. I missed that part even though Melissa clearly spelled it out for me.

That's just dumb. Donations to the Red Cross, and I dare say 99% of the organizations that people are donating to, are always tax deductible. Who, exactly, is this tax revelation benefiting?

MelissaWV
01-21-2010, 08:37 AM
NM: It's allowing people to write it off ASAP. I missed that part even though Melissa clearly spelled it out for me.

That's just dumb. Donations to the Red Cross, and I dare say 99% of the organizations that people are donating to, are always tax deductible. Who, exactly, is this tax revelation benefiting?

They're simply moving it up to this year, I suppose because they think people will lose their receipts/proof of donation in a year. Honestly, a lot of people take the standard deduction, too. Maybe this is another loophole aimed more at the rich? :confused: It just sends a stupid, mixed message.