PDA

View Full Version : All bets are off "there is no such thing as a 'safe' democratic seat"

Tina Richards
01-19-2010, 10:47 PM
PRESS RELEASE
JANUARY/19/2010

ALL BETS ARE OFF
"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 'SAFE' DEMOCRATIC SEAT"
SANTA FE, NM - January 19, 2010, The heavily democratic third district is often referenced as a "safe Democratic seat," but when one of the most Democratic states in the nation goes to the Republican's, all bets are off. In Massachusetts, where Democrats outnumber Republicans three to one and Obama won by 26% points in the presidential election, Republicans took a senate seat with a decisive victory. In the third district, fifty percent of the voters are registered Democrats, while 32 percent are Republicans and Obama took by 23% over McCain. When looking at the numbers, the third district cannot honestly be called a safe seat.

According to Adam Kokesh, 3rd Congressional District candidate and Iraq Veteran, "Scott Brown's victory in Massachusetts shows that there is no such thing as a safe Democrat seat in 2010. It showed that Americans are fed up with entitlement politics and will not tolerate politicians who think they have a claim to power by birthright, political machine, or party alignment. If the GOP can get behind candidates who are poised to capture this new popular sentiment, we can count on a red sweep in 2010."

Many members of congress were swept into office on President Obama's coattails. But those coattails won't be around to help them come the midterm elections. In fact, according to the latest Gallup Poll, he entered his second year with one of the lowest approval ratings of any president in the last half-century. After Republicans won gubernatorial races in New Jersey and Virginia, the Democrats were quick to dismiss it. After Massachusetts, the possibility of a political wave turning into a tidal wave for the midterm elections has increased significantly.

Scott Brown was the right type of Republican for Massachusetts. He campaigned on debt, taxes and the economy and was viewed as an "outside the establishment" type of Republican. According to a Boston Globe interview, " Brown's views are in the libertarian mold, which he describes as 'fiscally conservative and socially conscious.'" This turned out to be the winning combination for this long-held Democratic seat.

Although New Mexico's 3rd district is usually considered a safe democratic seat, the unique aspects of Adam Kokesh's background, make him exactly what the Republican Party needs to win a victory in Northern New Mexico.

# # #

dr. hfn
01-19-2010, 11:29 PM
hell ya!

Chester Copperpot
01-19-2010, 11:54 PM
ok so brown calls himself a libertarian? Well fuck it.. I guess libertarians CAN win after all. hahaha

rp08orbust
01-20-2010, 12:52 AM
According to a Boston Globe interview, " Brown's views are in the libertarian mold, which he describes as 'fiscally conservative and socially conscious.'"

WTF is "socially conscious"? Not having Aspergers Syndrome?

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-20-2010, 01:09 AM
This Brown fucktard is going to tarnish the word libertarian. FUCK OFF BROWN. That goes for Barr too. Brown could maybe be called a libertarian in North Korea, but here he is a tyrant. This pisses me off, especially when we had a real libertarian running named Joe Kennedy. That is a libertarian you bozo Brown.

As for Adam....Go Adam! I have a lot of confidence you will sweep into victory.

dr. hfn
01-20-2010, 01:14 AM
This Brown fucktard is going to tarnish the word libertarian. FUCK OFF BROWN. That goes for Barr too. Brown could maybe be called a libertarian in North Korea, but here he is a tyrant. This pisses me off, especially when we had a real libertarian running named Joe Kennedy. That is a libertarian you bozo Brown.

well Classic Conservatives are like 75% libertarian, but Brown is a neocon...

Travlyr
01-20-2010, 11:12 AM
All bets are off "there is no such thing as a 'safe' democratic seat"

That's right! Go Kokesh!

ItsTime
01-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Give them hell! Making a donation today!

Rancher
01-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Give them hell! Making a donation today!

I am donating silver today!

purplechoe
01-20-2010, 08:15 PM
I am donating silver today!

I'm saving for a B-day present... :)

Flash
01-20-2010, 08:49 PM

They'll hijack the word Libertarian like they hijacked the word liberal and conservative.

Romantarchist
01-24-2010, 01:23 PM
I don't understand why everyone here refers to the 3rd district as "heavily Democratic". According to the Cook Partisan Index, it's rating is D+7, meaning a Democrat will get 57% of the vote on average. That's definitely winnable, especially on a bad year for Democrats and even more-so when you're not a run of the mill Republican. Also it says on Swing State Project that the district went 54-45 for Kerry in 2004, which is an even closer race.

Maybe we just have different definitions but I wouldn't say that a district "heavily" leans towards a party until it takes up an average of 2/3 of the vote or more.

Anyways, yeah. I think we'll probably win this. :cool:

Travlyr
01-24-2010, 01:53 PM
All bets are off "there is no such thing as a 'safe' democratic seat"
No such thing.