PDA

View Full Version : Idea: C4L holds "The People's Tea Party," a free event, near the Palin one

MRoCkEd
01-19-2010, 10:30 PM
The "National Tea Party" (http://www.nationalteapartyconvention.com/home.aspx)is charging people $549 to attend and is paying Sarah Palin $100,000 to speak. What if Campaign for Liberty held their own event at the same time as that one called "The People's Tea Party" or something, allowing anyone to attend for free or for a low price? That way, it will be an actual grassroots event as opposed to the elitist, establishment party down the street.

Contact C4L to see what they think:
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/help.php
(703) 865-7162 (V) | (703) 865-7549 (F)

squarepusher
01-19-2010, 10:30 PM
+1

Order giant pizza for cheap and serve grape soda. Have free local entertainers play.

The Patriot
01-19-2010, 10:31 PM
+2

CaseyJones
01-19-2010, 10:32 PM
get ya a good loud country band and cook up some BBQ

dr. hfn
01-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Invite all the local Tea Party and 9.12 groups and the local Students for Liberty and YAL! Also invite the American Liberty Alliance which just opted out of the Tea Party convention! This should be free and open to the public! We could expose possibly thousands of Tea Partiers to the true message of Liberty. Imagine them listening to Tom Woods, Ron Paul, Gary Johnson, Peter Schiff, Rand Paul, Tom DiLorenzo, Lew Rockwell, Judge Napolitano, etc!

This is a perfect opportunity!

MurrayMe
01-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Who the fuck would PAY to attend a tea party? That's ridiculous!

Brian4Liberty
01-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Let's call it the "OGT-Party". :D ;)

The Patriot
01-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Invite all the local Tea Party and 9.12 groups and the local Students for Liberty and YAL! Also invite the American Liberty Alliance which just opted out of the Tea Party convention! This should be free and open to the public! We could expose possibly thousands of Tea Partiers to the true message of Liberty. Imagine them listening to Tom Woods, Ron Paul, Gary Johnson, Peter Schiff, Rand Paul, Tom DiLorenzo, Lew Rockwell, Judge Napolitano, etc!

This is a perfect opportunity!

If we could get half those guys it would still be better than the Tea Party Convention. I would love to see Kokesh and Rand Paul debate Palin and Bachmann and absolutely destroy them. But Palin's handlers(ie. Bill Kristol) would never let her debate and let her be expose for the idiot she is.

The Patriot
01-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Who the fuck would PAY to attend a tea party? That's ridiculous!

Didn't you know Samuel Adams made the Sons of Liberty pay for the honor of protesting with him? :rolleyes:

Matt Collins
01-19-2010, 10:48 PM
All the property around this area is private.

dannno
01-19-2010, 10:49 PM
I say make it free and we should have a money bomb chip-in to provide any extras..

But this is definitely something that should be done and people should really consider attending AND we need to get REGULAR tea partiers there too, so that they can start to recognize the inherent evil in the establishment and how the establishment long ago hijacked the Republican Party.

dannno
01-19-2010, 10:50 PM

Rentable?

Street protestable?

jmdrake
01-19-2010, 10:54 PM

With the "magic of television" that might not matter. If we had another event anywhere in the Nashville area that was billed as an alternative to the hijacked tea party convention, and if we had a large enough crowd and if we were able to get media attention, and if we could pull this off in less than a month....

Ok, a lot of "and ifs" in there. :(

dr. hfn
01-19-2010, 10:56 PM
The non-establishment Tea Party groups should be invited!

parocks
01-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Why are people all upset about whatever it is that National Tea Party is doing?
"Let's like assholes to those who could be among our closest friends" is not necessarily a winning strategy. I'm not sure I get it. Are people worried that Rand Paul might win?

The "National Tea Party" (http://www.nationalteapartyconvention.com/home.aspx)is charging people $549 to attend and is paying Sarah Palin $100,000 to speak. What if Campaign for Liberty held their own event at the same time as that one called "The People's Tea Party" or something, allowing anyone to attend for free or for a low price? That way, it will be an actual grassroots event as opposed to the elitist, establishment party down the street.

Contact C4L to see what they think:
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/help.php
(703) 865-7162 (V) | (703) 865-7549 (F)

Oyate
01-19-2010, 11:15 PM
So this idea relies on someone finding out if we can secure permitting to be on the street.

Somebody in TN that's interested please contact me, I been though this process in many major cities. If we can pull it together let's do it.

dr. hfn
01-19-2010, 11:16 PM
We don't have much time. The event is Feb 4th-6th.

Oyate
01-19-2010, 11:32 PM
We don't have much time. The event is Feb 4th-6th.

It's a long shot at best but it's worth a try. Need someone from TN to work with.

revolutionary8
01-20-2010, 02:08 AM
No "People's Party" please. Seriously.
It sounds like we are not only communists, but it sounds like we are hijacking what has been hijacked from us.

We need something different. I'm done with being teabagged to hell and back. No more tea bagging.
Boycott teabaggers. Teatotalers suck.

eta,
from what Oyate is saying, there is nothing nearby (unlike RNC) only a Baptist church across a divided higway that is even acessible for something like this. Do they allow kegs in Southern Baptist churches? :D

JohnnyRocko
01-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Recognizing that many of the Tea Parties may have been co-opted by by neocon organizers is all well and good but I think it would be a mistake to abandon Tea Parties in general as they are a large source of people that have come to the realization that government is not the solution to all our problems. Education is what needed to win them over. Besides, despite the logistical hurdles you would face arranging any large counter-counter protest in such short notice, I think efforts would be more effective if you could put your efforts into an information bomb. Passing out Constitutions along with perhaps C4L literature attached to the Tea Party attendees would be a more effective use of your resources. Just my 2 cents. The R3VOLution doesn't always have to be fought with brute force.

For Liberty,
Will

reduen
01-20-2010, 09:48 AM
I will do all in my power to attend! "The peoples Tea Party".

LibertyMage
01-20-2010, 09:52 AM
The Tea Parties have been co-opted. We need to find ways to take them back.

ItsTime
01-20-2010, 09:57 AM
It looks like a good idea at first but the date is way to close to do it, it would just make us look like fools.

MRoCkEd
01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
It looks like a good idea at first but the date is way to close to do it, it would just make us look like fools.
It might be too soon, but someone had the idea so I decided to put it out there.

LittleLightShining
01-20-2010, 10:09 AM
It might be too soon, but someone had the idea so I decided to put it out there.

If I was closer I would take on this project in a heartbeat. It's not impossible to pull this off in a month.

ItsTime
01-20-2010, 10:18 AM
If I was closer I would take on this project in a heartbeat. It's not impossible to pull this off in a month.

But we dont have a month. And we would need to get at least 10,000 people there to have any impact.

Bruno
01-20-2010, 10:20 AM
What about a similar plan for when she campaigns for Rick Perry and have a counter-event for Medina?

Annihilia
01-20-2010, 10:28 AM
I don't think a counter-convention can be assembled in 2 weeks time, but a mass gathering would probably be feasible. It'll be low on booths, speakers, and literature, but it might draw enough people to get noticed. Who knows.

ItsTime
01-20-2010, 10:31 AM
What about a similar plan for when she campaigns for Rick Perry and have a counter-event for Medina?

Great idea!

Chieftain1776
01-20-2010, 01:02 PM

This is a perfect opportunity! [Emphasis mine]

Keep in mind that libertarian groups like American Liberty Alliance WERE invited which is why I don't believe the theory that it's some sort of concerted effort to shut us out. The email's Matt Collins posted in the other thread were from a mere 2 days ago. I really think it was a late request on C4L's part. As for JBS well they have some baggage (whether you agree with them or not).

Here's what Tom Woods himself had to say about this exact conference (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/47110.html):

Should We Write Off the Tea Party?
from LewRockwell.com Blog by Thomas Woods

I think it’s a huge mistake to dismiss the Tea Party people just because they’re having Sarah Palin speak at their convention next month. These people are a diverse lot, and many of them respect Ron Paul. They know something is wrong, which is more than can be said for most of our fellow Americans, and they are interested in learning. Tea Party people have come out to several of my speaking events, even co-sponsoring one of them, and I’ll tell you one thing: they read. Most of them hadn’t heard the case I was making about the Fed and the business cycle before, so they bought copies of Meltdown. That is a radical book. How else would I have reached this audience?

Interestingly enough, I was invited to speak at the Tea Party national convention next month, the one that’s received all the attention because of Palin. I couldn’t make it because my wife’s due date coincides with the event. But they wanted me to speak about nullification and the 10th Amendment. Tame for us, maybe, but it’s not nothing.

This is a gigantic movement; why not try to reach them? I myself was a neocon back in the early 1990s, and I’m sure glad people didn’t write me off. [Emphasis Mine]

Again I think people are over-reacting and ignoring some solid evidence that goes against the "shutting us out" theory.

Matt Collins
01-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Again I think people are over-reacting and ignoring some solid evidence that goes against the "shutting us out" theory.We tried to pay to have a booth or access to the event. According to the e-mail from the TN-CFL State Coordinator "they don't want us there".

See this:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=227309

dr. hfn
01-20-2010, 08:25 PM
bump!

JK/SEA
01-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Geez, no place to set up a table outside somewhere...anywhere... in that town?

Just put a nice cardtable with a nice linen tablecloth, with a tea set and a pot of tea for a few folks, surrounded by American and Gadsen flags on the sidewalk..someplace. How about in front or near a TV station or something? Just get some kind of attention. Maybe have Ron come by or..? ...casual thing...

Just a suggestion.

Flash
01-20-2010, 09:30 PM
The People's Tea Party

http://static-p4.fotolia.com/jpg/00/06/29/01/400_F_6290147_2tncUQmcF6vruexn3GmQRwuezJLyJDRC.jpg :eek:

Danke
02-02-2013, 12:29 AM
Bring Oyate back.

compromise
02-02-2013, 03:12 AM
If we could get half those guys it would still be better than the Tea Party Convention. I would love to see Kokesh and Rand Paul debate Palin and Bachmann and absolutely destroy them. But Palin's handlers(ie. Bill Kristol) would never let her debate and let her be expose for the idiot she is.

Palin is no longer "handled" by Kristol and hasn't been since she lost the 2008 election. Kristol was actually pretty angry when she endorsed Rand Paul and said we should stay out of Libya.

I wouldn't say the Tea Party has been co-opted, it has been watered down, but at it's core it's about many of the same things we support, like greater fiscal responsibility, low taxes, limited government, less regulation, more Fed transparency, an antagonism towards GOP moderates, states rights, sound money, the Tea Party candidates are even often more moderate on foreign policy than RINO establishment types like McCain and Graham.

I'm alright with a slightly watered down Tea Party if it means the message can reach millions more people. Remember, without the Tea Party we wouldn't have Rand Paul, Mile Lee, Justin Amash, Thomas Massie, Paul Broun and Ted Yoho - the Tea Party enthusiastically campaigned for, voted for and donated to these campaigns. If the Tea Party are going to help liberty voices be heard, I'm not going to vilify them.