PDA

View Full Version : Scott Brown versus Dede Scozafava versus Doug Hoffman

jmdrake
01-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Well here we are. Almost to the end of another RPF civil war. One way or another the "Scott Brown" fight will over tonight. But the fault lines will remain. Should we only endorse republicans? Should we only endorse principled candidates? Should we take something in between?

It's instructive to look at the last special election. Like Joe Kennedy, Doug Hoffman ran third party. Unlike Joe Kennedy, many big name republicans lined up behind Hoffman. The final result is that a democrat ultimately won the race. Sure there were twists and turns in the race (Dede dropping out....and then endorsing the democrat), but the democrat still won. Bad result? Would the country be better off with an obvious opportunist like Dede Scozzafava in congress? Would that advance our liberty strategy? I think not. In 2012 there will be a real primary and a liberty candidate will have a chance to win. Had Dede won she'd be an incumbent and there would be all kinds of pressure against liberty candidates NOT to run against her in the primaries for fear of "splitting the primary". Now that primary will be wide open.

Now some might be thinking "The Scott Brown case is different because the house doesn't hang on one vote but legislation in the senate could". To that I agree. I also agree that it's at least as important to "send a message" to Obama and the MSM that he didn't get a mandate for universal healthcare in 2008 just like it was important to send a message to the GOP in 2008 that we no longer support these wars. (Unfortunately it seems that message fell on deaf ears.) The problem is when precious resources are diverted to candidates that don't really support limited government (Scott Brown "moneybombs") or when some of us try to browbeat others of us who decide to stick with principles (a vote for Kennedy is a vote for deathcare). A wiser choice is everybody to look at the individual races and decide what's best for them. After all if Sarah Palin can support a 3rd party candidate against a republican.....

TCE
01-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Actually, I noticed a lot of people who hated Brown be the ones who jumped straight to the name-calling. I hope no one donated to Brown, I sure didn't. However, the race is him vs. Coakley, in that case, I hope Brown wins. The more bills we can slow down or stop, the better.

jmdrake
01-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Actually, I noticed a lot of people who hated Brown be the ones who jumped straight to the name-calling. I hope no one donated to Brown, I sure didn't. However, the race is him vs. Coakley, in that case, I hope Brown wins. The more bills we can slow down or stop, the better.

Well I noticed just the opposite. Perhaps we both have selection bias. ;) Regardless the general proposition advanced by some that we should endorse any and every republican in a general election makes no sense and doesn't even seem to be followed by all the major republicans. (Palin and Thompson for example).

TCE
01-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Well I noticed just the opposite. Perhaps we both have selection bias. ;) Regardless the general proposition advanced by some that we should endorse any and every republican in a general election makes no sense and doesn't even seem to be followed by all the major republicans. (Palin and Thompson for example).

Probably. I agree that in this case, a Brown win would likely help us much more than a Coakley win. However, the view that we should support any and all "R" candidates is a bad one. There is a difference between rooting for them and voting for/donating to them. I can hope Coakley loses all I want, but I will never give Brown a dime. Giving a Liberty Candidate who has no chance $10>Giving a Neo-Con $2400.

klamath
01-19-2010, 07:51 PM
To me it was all about that 60th vote and a referendum on Obama care. Right now it is looking like it is scaring the Cr*t outta the Democrats that are borderline on healthcare.
Did I support brown with money? not a chance. Would I support a republican just like him if there are 41 republicans in the senate? Not a chance.

silverhandorder
01-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Honestly lets build up our credibility and hope republicans get victories when it hurts dems. The goal is to take over republican party not to take over a dead republican party.

TCE
01-19-2010, 08:11 PM
To me it was all about that 60th vote and a referendum on Obama care. Right now it is looking like it is scaring the Cr*t outta the Democrats that are borderline on healthcare.
Did I support brown with money? not a chance. Would I support a republican just like him if there are 41 republicans in the senate? Not a chance.

That's the important part. Everyone I've seen on this board who shares this opinion simply wants him to win, they aren't willing to toss money his way or the way of any Neo-Con.

Silver: A good point. I also think that with a Brown win, there will be much more excitement from the GOP base down the road. Since all virtually all of our candidates are running as Republicans, this can only help.

jmdrake
01-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Honestly lets build up our credibility and hope republicans get victories when it hurts dems. The goal is to take over republican party not to take over a dead republican party.

Technically any republican win hurts democrats. This one was more important than most because it fully shatters the illusion that Obama had any kind of mandate for the agenda he is perusing. I guess my broader point is that in some cases a win by the wrong kind of republican (e.g. Dede) is worse than a win by a democrat.

cindy25
01-19-2010, 09:55 PM
this was a unique case; healthcare had to die.

Mini-Me
01-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Did someone say Dedede? :D
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo130/UnrealMiniMe/king_dedede_ssbb_lg.jpg