PDA

View Full Version : Registered Democrat!

jth_ttu
01-19-2010, 04:51 PM
I registered Democrat when I was 18(22 now) and was wondering if anyone knew how I could renounce my membership? I have no intentions of registering Republican(I see no difference in the two parties), Im just going to stay independent or possibly become a registered Libertarian. Any help would be appreciated.

Goldhunter27
01-19-2010, 04:54 PM
I registered Democrat when I was 18(22 now) and was wondering if anyone knew how I could renounce my membership? I have no intentions of registering Republican(I see no difference in the two parties), Im just going to stay independent or possibly become a registered Libertarian. Any help would be appreciated.

I think you change paries through the DMV.

nobody's_hero
01-19-2010, 04:56 PM
I hear that cutting up your card and mailing it in always gets the point across.

bkreigh
01-19-2010, 04:57 PM
update your voter registration. you can do that at your DMV if need be. Most states let you get the form online and you can mail it in.

From what i hear is that you dont need to be with a certain party to vote in the primaries in Tennessee. All you need to do is ask for a ballot in which you want to vote for.

Flash
01-19-2010, 05:01 PM

Register Republican and vote in the primaries.

erowe1
01-19-2010, 05:02 PM

You should see it as a practical thing, rather than a matter of loyalty or lack thereof to any party. If you want to vote in either party's primary, then depending on your state's laws, you may need to be registered in that party.

jth_ttu
01-19-2010, 05:34 PM

I cant see any difference in the Reps or Dems so I dont really like the idea of switching to another party I disagree with. I registered dem when I was 18 only because thats what most of my family has been for the past 150 years lol. If someone like Dr. Paul decides to run I will register Rep to vote for them in the primary, but until then I want to remain independent.

ItsTime
01-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Call your town hall they will tell you what you need to do.

Toureg89
01-19-2010, 05:36 PM
especially so if your state is one with "closed" primaries.

jth_ttu
01-19-2010, 05:37 PM
You should see it as a practical thing, rather than a matter of loyalty or lack thereof to any party. If you want to vote in either party's primary, then depending on your state's laws, you may need to be registered in that party.
In my state you can vote in the Dems primary without being registered but you must be registered to vote in the Republican. I know it would make more sense to register Rep, but I dont want to do anything to benefit the Rep party in its current state.

tremendoustie
01-19-2010, 05:41 PM
In my state you can vote in the Dems primary without being registered but you must be registered to vote in the Republican. I know it would make more sense to register Rep, but I dont want to do anything to benefit the Rep party in its current state.

I support this sentiment. I think it makes sense to only register if a worthy candidate comes along.

Perhaps in the meantime you could register as an independent, or as a libertarian.

KCIndy
01-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Tennessee appears to have open primaries:

http://archive.fairvote.org/?page=1801

If that is indeed true, you've got the best of both worlds - you can register as a Libertarian if you choose, but you can still jump in and vote in either primary for the Democrats or Republicans.

Regarding changing your political affiliation, it is best done at your county court house. Just go in and ask directions to the voter registration office/elections office.

stilltrying
01-19-2010, 06:09 PM
What about deregistering from voting? Anyone know how to do this?

Lets put all the options out on the table. Freedom rules.

jth_ttu
01-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Tennessee appears to have open primaries:

http://archive.fairvote.org/?page=1801

If that is indeed true, you've got the best of both worlds - you can register as a Libertarian if you choose, but you can still jump in and vote in either primary for the Democrats or Republicans.

Regarding changing your political affiliation, it is best done at your county court house. Just go in and ask directions to the voter registration office/elections office.

I think you have to be registered republican to vote in their primary in TN but the democratic partys primary is open to all.

ramallamamama
01-20-2010, 01:04 AM

That's CRAZY TALK!

speciallyblend
01-20-2010, 01:20 AM
I cant see any difference in the Reps or Dems so I dont really like the idea of switching to another party I disagree with. I registered dem when I was 18 only because thats what most of my family has been for the past 150 years lol. If someone like Dr. Paul decides to run I will register Rep to vote for them in the primary, but until then I want to remain independent.

ok i cannot believe i am saying this, you should register republican. I am as well. If you register republican. you can still hold other parties and candidates accountable and possibly chaNGE THE GOP.IF THE GOP FAILS TO CHANGE STAY REGISTERED BUT VOTE THEM OUT;)

COMING FROM A FORMER LPER FOR 12 YRS AND FORMER DEMOCRAT, ERR CAPS sorry;)

libertarian4321
01-20-2010, 04:22 AM
ok i cannot believe i am saying this, you should register republican. I am as well. If you register republican. you can still hold other parties and candidates accountable and possibly chaNGE THE GOP.IF THE GOP FAILS TO CHANGE STAY REGISTERED BUT VOTE THEM OUT;)

COMING FROM A FORMER LPER FOR 12 YRS AND FORMER DEMOCRAT, ERR CAPS sorry;)

I went back to the Republican Party in 2007 to support Dr. Paul.

I tried to get back into the swing of being a Republican. I even became a delegate.

But every time I told someone "I'm a Republican," I found myself puking into my mouth.

Still, I hung in there.

However, the level of douchebaggery is so high in the Republican Party, I just couldn't take it any more, so I left at the end of 2009.

Free at last, free at last!

You have no idea how great it feels to be free of the Republican Party.

If you are still hanging in there, you must have an iron will :)

Remember, your "party leaders" include Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, Michael Steele, and Dick Cheney.

Admit it, the thought of being led by those people has to make you want to toss your cookies.

jth_ttu
01-20-2010, 04:44 PM
I went back to the Republican Party in 2007 to support Dr. Paul.

I tried to get back into the swing of being a Republican. I even became a delegate.

But every time I told someone "I'm a Republican," I found myself puking into my mouth.

Still, I hung in there.

However, the level of douchebaggery is so high in the Republican Party, I just couldn't take it any more, so I left at the end of 2009.

Free at last, free at last!

You have no idea how great it feels to be free of the Republican Party.

If you are still hanging in there, you must have an iron will :)

Remember, your "party leaders" include Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, Michael Steele, and Dick Cheney.

Admit it, the thought of being led by those people has to make you want to toss your cookies.

When you name off those party leaders it makes me wonder how people think we can change the party. The Republicans are just as bad as the Dems so why does everyone want to try and change the Reps? Why not create a third party? This seems much easier than trying to change a party's deeply rooted ideology. The Republican Party seems to be going the way of Palin and this scares me just as much as Obama.

erowe1
01-20-2010, 05:09 PM

How would registering Republican so you can vote in their primaries benefit them?

Isaac Bickerstaff
01-20-2010, 05:39 PM
The "leaders" mentioned were anointed under a different party. The party is in turmoil and the inbred nobility is about to be thrown out.
I am more worried about wannabes like Bachmann muddying the waters with their ignorance.

Those that are abandoning the party are returning to the way things were and embracing the two party shared dictatorship. Stay involved for a few more years and the two parties in control of the country will be the Republicans and the Liberty Republicans. I am not ready to give back the portion of the party that we fought for and actually won.

So, they didn't fall on their knees and beg forgiveness from us after a few months of sign-waving and chanting. Boo-Hoo. Gut up. Respect the work that has been done and realize that we ARE winning. You can take the party back THIS YEAR! The leadership that WE select this year is going to be the leadership that chooses the Republican that is going to beat Obama in 2012.

Victory will be so much sweeter if you help make it happen.

jth_ttu
01-20-2010, 08:58 PM
How would registering Republican so you can vote in their primaries benefit them?

When voters register with the Republicans it tells them that they are heading in the right direction. You dont change a prostitute by sleeping with her and you dont change the direction of a party by joining it. When Republians offer a candidate like Ron Paul, Rand, or anyone who's not another party whore Ill join just to vote for them. Until then, The Libertarian Party IS the party you want the republicans to be. You dont have to change a thing.

erowe1
01-20-2010, 09:03 PM
When voters register with the Republicans it tells them that they are heading in the right direction.

Why do you believe that?

The tangible result of registering Republican is that it allows you to vote in the Republican primary, which is the venue most explicitly designed for you to tell them to change their direction. It is only without being registered Republican that you are communicating nothing to them about the need to do that.

jth_ttu
01-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Why do you believe that?

The tangible result of registering Republican is that it allows you to vote in the Republican primary, which is the venue most explicitly designed for you to tell them to change their direction. It is only without being registered Republican that you are communicating nothing to them about the need to do that.

Most times when you vote in a Republican Primary there isnt going to be a Ron or Rand. There are very few liberty minded republicans and there are none in my state. There are Libertarian Candidates in my state.

erowe1
01-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Most times when you vote in a Republican Primary there isnt going to be a Ron or Rand. There are very few liberty minded republicans and there are none in my state. There are Libertarian Candidates in my state.

Jimmy Duncan is in your state. Of the members currently in the House of Representatives (and for that matter in any office in the federal government at all) he's second only to Ron Paul in my opinion. I don't know what county you're in, but Matt Collins is in your state and was part of a contingent of paleo-conservative and libertarian Republicans who made major inroads in their county party, until he got kicked out of his position as vice chair. They could have been (and still could be) more successful if there were more like-minded Republicans in positions as precinct chairs who supported their cause. Plus are you sure there aren't good candidates running at local levels, especially since war issues don't play into those races? I'm a precinct chair in my county GOP and I would never campaign for McCain, governor Mitch Daniels, or Senator Lugar. But I have found some local candidates I could support. And that's the real way to change the party, to start from the bottom up.

Plus I could vote for Ron Paul in the last primary (and hope to do so again in the next), as well as voting a congressional candidate whose platform included abolishing the Federal Reserve and ending the war on drugs (he lost the primary), and now I'm working hard on trying to get John Hostettler to replace Evan Bayh in the senate. I also attended our state GOP convention as a delegate with a group of 300 Ron Paul Republicans. Our votes made the difference in who the party's candidate for attorney general was.

In my case, we don't actually have party registration in my state. But if we did, there would definitely be some strategic value in my registering Republican. I can't speak for your situation. But it's possible that you're selling short the opportunities you might have to make a difference if you want to try.

jth_ttu
01-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Jimmy Duncan is in your state. Of the members currently in the House of Representatives (and for that matter in any office in the federal government at all) he's second only to Ron Paul in my opinion. I don't know what county you're in, but Matt Collins is in your state and was part of a contingent of paleo-conservative and libertarian Republicans who made major inroads in their county party, until he got kicked out of his position as vice chair. They could have been (and still could be) more successful if there were more like-minded Republicans in positions as precinct chairs who supported their cause. Plus are you sure there aren't good candidates running at local levels, especially since war issues don't play into those races? I'm a precinct chair in my county GOP and I would never campaign for McCain, governor Mitch Daniels, or Senator Lugar. But I have found some local candidates I could support. And that's the real way to change the party, to start from the bottom up.

Plus I could vote for Ron Paul in the last primary (and hope to do so again in the next), as well as voting a congressional candidate whose platform included abolishing the Federal Reserve and ending the war on drugs (he lost the primary), and now I'm working hard on trying to get John Hostettler to replace Evan Bayh in the senate. I also attended our state GOP convention as a delegate with a group of 300 Ron Paul Republicans. Our votes made the difference in who the party's candidate for attorney general was.

In my case, we don't actually have party registration in my state. But if we did, there would definitely be some strategic value in my registering Republican. I can't speak for your situation. But it's possible that you're selling short the opportunities you might have to make a difference if you want to try.

Neither of those people you named are in my district. Our State republican party is no friend of liberty as you can see with what happened to Matt. They are offering us no Choices in the race for governor. Bailout Bob Corker wouldnt even support SB 604 while Democrat Bart Gordon did. So on that issue it was easier to convert a Dem than a Rep. If the Dems or Reps bring up a liberty minded candidate I will support either party's candidtate. But what is wrong the the Libertarian Party?

stilltrying
01-20-2010, 11:21 PM

I guess I'm the elephant in the room, LOL.

Danke
01-20-2010, 11:24 PM

Nope. :D;)

jth_ttu
01-20-2010, 11:26 PM

I couldnt complain about anything then lol

CCTelander
01-22-2010, 03:45 PM

My dad actually did exactly this. It was easy. He just called and asked how to get his name removed from the registered voter list, and then went down and did it. It DID raise a few eyebrows!