PDA

View Full Version : The Voting Philosophy of Compromise

Promontorium
01-19-2010, 03:33 PM
It is the reason "third party" means "can't win".

It is the reason the political parties control the government.

It is the reason political parties seem so distant from the "common man".

The philosophy of compromised voting is a poison to the electoral process.

It may seem like the 'practical' choice in the immediate, but it is this sustained "practicality" that is very heart of why it doesn't work.

You vote for the immediate issue, in this case, the Health Care Bill, but you aren't electing just an opposer of the health care bill. You are electing into an institution. Your vote guarantees more money towards that institution, your vote signifies the viability of that institution, your vote puts more money to that institution. It will inspire more of the ilk you vote for to come up in the ranks.

It is natural selection. Your votes have made the Democratic and Republican parties what they are. The parties that mock and insult people like Ron Paul. And why shouldn't they? Even you, when push comes to shove will stab Ron Paul in the back.

You might like the liberty movment, but you guarantee it means absolutely nothing.

Don't be so near sighted. You are buying the milk, when you could get the cow. You are getting one step forward for two steps back.

If on the other hand people stuck to their standards, such minute issues wouldn't seem so important. If your vote didn't live and die by one bill, or one issue, you might see the larger picture. Perhaps a government that wouldn't even entertain such affronts to human rights. Perhaps a government that would correct the mistakes of the past. Instead you vote for a day, vote for a week, at the cost of the years and decades ahead.

The philosophy of compromise is the philophy of losers. Concession after concession until your enemies have everything of value they want from you.

Romulus
01-19-2010, 03:35 PM
perhaps I missed something.. but where was the grassroots effort and money bomb to get Kennedy elected?

klamath
01-19-2010, 03:43 PM
And the political parties represent exactly what the american people as an amorphus group believe.
This magical third Party is just an utopian dream all will be right if we only had a third party. 80% of the American people mocked and insulted RP and the parties represented exactly that. There are many thrid parties in Europe and they are worse than us as far as freedom.

Romulus
01-19-2010, 03:50 PM
The philosophy of compromise is the philophy of losers. Concession after concession until your enemies have everything of value they want from you.

Politics is compromise. It you think it isnt, then walk away right now. Dont support Rand and dont support Schiff.

There is a widely known, very successful tactic called 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. And it works. It's called seeing the anticipating movement on whole battlefield.

Again, the game is chess, not checkers. Pawns are important, and expendable.

Mini-Me
01-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Politics is compromise. It you think it isnt, then walk away right now. Dont support Rand and dont support Schiff.

There is a widely known, very successful tactic called 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. And it works. It's called seeing the anticipating movement on whole battlefield.

Again, the game is chess, not checkers. Pawns are important, and expendable.

ENDG4M3, see my post in the other thread, here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=2501133&postcount=16). You're right that chess is the name of the game, but you're underestimating your opponent.

Romulus
01-19-2010, 04:04 PM
ENDG4M3, see my post in the other thread, here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=2501133&postcount=16). You're right that chess is the name of the game, but you're underestimating your opponent.

responded.

LittleLightShining
01-19-2010, 04:27 PM
And the political parties represent exactly what the american people as an amorphus group believe.
This magical third Party is just an utopian dream all will be right if we only had a third party. 80% of the American people mocked and insulted RP and the parties represented exactly that. There are many thrid parties in Europe and they are worse than us as far as freedom.

We did an experiment at a VT C4L fair booth. We had the world's smallest political quiz and had people fill out the quiz then take a sticky dot and put it on a big grid. MOST of the people (at a state fair) were in the upper 2 quadrants of the diamond. McCain and Obama were at the very bottom. I think one was 0/20 and one was 20/0. NO ONE wanted that much government in their lives. They are just forced into this left/right Republican/Democrat paradigm and eat what they're served. It really sucks. BUT what was awesome about the whole exercise was getting people to step outside of their perceptions of themselves and see where they really are and how disconnected the parties, pundits and politicians are from reality.

klamath
01-19-2010, 04:31 PM
We did an experiment at a VT C4L fair booth. We had the world's smallest political quiz and had people fill out the quiz then take a sticky dot and put it on a big grid. MOST of the people (at a state fair) were in the upper 2 quadrants of the diamond. McCain and Obama were at the very bottom. I think one was 0/20 and one was 20/0. NO ONE wanted that much government in their lives. They are just forced into this left/right Republican/Democrat paradigm and eat what they're served. It really sucks. BUT what was awesome about the whole exercise was getting people to step outside of their perceptions of themselves and see where they really are and how disconnected the parties, pundits and politicians are from reality.

Was this for the people that stopped by the C4L booth or a general sample of the fair goers?

LittleLightShining
01-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Was this for the people that stopped by the C4L booth or a general sample of the fair goers?

It was at the booth. I see where you're going with this but to be honest our booth was far busier than anyone else's and when it wasn't crowded (at least when I was working) I would engage passersby and at least try to get them to take the quiz-- which most did.

jclay2
01-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Do you people even remember when bushy was in office and signed medicare part d. That was supported by many republicans. The funny thing about it was that it expanded our future liabilities in the tens of trillions of dollars. You might be right about stopping obama care, but what about bush care or republican care? We've been hoodwinked again. They pretend like there is a difference when it is really just different means to the same end. Please someone explain to me prescription drug coverage which was pushed forward by the republicans. I would almost wager the farm that brown would have voted for it if he had had the opportunity.

klamath
01-19-2010, 04:45 PM
It was at the booth. I see where you're going with this but to be honest our booth was far busier than anyone else's and when it wasn't crowded (at least when I was working) I would engage passersby and at least try to get them to take the quiz-- which most did.
That's good news both the crowds and the response. There is no question that the American people are at the moment moving away from bigger government. I'm afraid it results wouldn't be as good if the booth was in SF.