PDA

View Full Version : You Can’t Make Up This Stuff: U.S. Military Weapons with Bible References on Them

purplechoe
01-19-2010, 04:14 AM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/047808.html

You Can’t Make Up This Stuff: U.S. Military Weapons with Bible References on Them
Posted by Bill Anderson on January 18, 2010 03:13 PM

ABC News is reporting that a Michigan company making military weapons for the U.S. Armed Forces has references to Bible verses stamped on them. (ABC in its total ignorance calls them “Secret Jesus Codes.” No, they are references, as there are no secret “codes” in the Bible. Sorry, ABC.) The references are stamped on the high-powered rifle sights:

One of the citations on the gun sights, 2COR4:6, is an apparent reference to Second Corinthians 4:6 of the New Testament, which reads: “For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.”

Other references include citations from the books of Revelation, Matthew and John dealing with Jesus as “the light of the world.” John 8:12, referred to on the gun sights as JN8:12, reads, “Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

Unfortunately, the negative reaction centers on “church and state” issues and not where it should: Just how does a Christian message fit with an army waging aggressive war and invading countries that were not at war with us?

I think that both issues are valid, "church and state" as well as "who would Jesus bomb".

here's the link to the ABC story:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/us-military-weapons-inscribed-secret-jesus-bible-codes/story?id=9575794&page=1

tpreitzel
01-19-2010, 04:22 AM
In my opinion, neither issue is valid. IIUC, the company began stamping verses in response to the passing of its founder although the ABC report implies differently. Regardless, the company was probably in error contractually, but it's the price one pays for getting in bed with the government.

jkr
01-19-2010, 08:55 AM
if they're ly'n, they're dyi'n
GOD does NOT like to be misrepresented...

Endgame
01-19-2010, 09:22 AM
As someone who doesn't want "In God We Trust" on the currency in public circulation, I have to say, big fucking deal. Their scopes are nice if you can afford them.

FrankRep
01-19-2010, 09:24 AM
You Can’t Make Up This Stuff: U.S. Military Weapons with Bible References on Them

God: Do not Murder.

TotalLiberty
01-19-2010, 09:55 AM
As it should be.

The bible is filled with references to god as being violent and striking people down, even killing babies because he was angry. Dropping bombs in the name of the U.S., dropping bombs in the name of Jesus, I see no difference, and I doubt the people who are being murdered do either.

Pennsylvania
01-19-2010, 10:05 AM
As far as I am aware, the company that does this is Trijicon. Evidently, their founder made it a standard practice and they've continued doing it since his death.

Cowlesy
01-19-2010, 10:06 AM
"It's wrong, it violates the Constitution, it violates a number of federal laws," said Michael "Mikey" Weinstein of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, an advocacy group that seeks to preserve the separation of church and state in the military.

Weinstein, an attorney and former Air Force officer, said many members of his group who currently serve in the military have complained about the markings on the sights. He also claims they've told him that commanders have referred to weapons with the sights as "spiritually transformed firearm[s] of Jesus Christ."

"This is probably the best example of violation of the separation of church and state in this country," said Weinstein. "It's literally pushing fundamentalist Christianity at the point of a gun against the people that we're fighting. We're emboldening an enemy."

:rolleyes:

So the manufacturer has a heavy christian side, big deal. It's not like the Government is saying "Stamp these with Christian verses."

Somehow I think the least of our problems are what Muhammad and Abu think of tiny inscriptions on scopes. They're probably far more concerned with the lead heading in their direction at 2200fps.

Romulus
01-19-2010, 10:06 AM
where's that verse that says Jesus was a baby killer?

fj45lvr
01-19-2010, 10:08 AM
I worked with a guy that recycles scrap zirconium, one batch we sorted had some zirconium "rings" for cluster bombs....they had "So Long Saddam" pressed into them....

not biblical but pretty juvenile.....I guess the contractors making the bombs had something against former US. puppet dictators.

Chester Copperpot
01-19-2010, 10:09 AM
The guys over from politicalplace.com were talking about this yesterday..

I dont see any problem with Church and State on here by any means.. But I do find it a bit creepy... To me this seems different than when pilots would write "Death to Hitler" on bombs during WWII and such....

Brooklyn Red Leg
01-19-2010, 11:19 AM
To me this seems different than when pilots would write "Death to Hitler" on bombs during WWII and such....

Yea, cause I'm sure the civilians in Dresden LOVED those firebombs that said 'Death to Nazi's' on them......

Scofield
01-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Considering these weapons are being used by Muslim Iraqi and Afghani soldiers, this is a very, very bad idea.

Imagine if Osama bin Laden gets his hands on this information and proceeds to spread propaganda that the soldiers which have allied with the United States, and have been using these weapons, have been engaging in a Holy War and have been tricked by the Americans into fighting on the side of Christianity against Islam. Not only would that cause more tension in the area, but it would mean the soldiers committed apostasy.

For a group as religious as the Muslims in the middle east, those soldiers may just say to hell with the United States or even worse, take up arms against us. Could you imagine if you were told that you were tricked by the Americans into giving up your place in heaven, and were now destined for an eternity in Hell for forsaking your Islamic faith?

This can only bring about negative consequences, there is nothing positive that can come about. Those inscriptions need to go, and they need to go now.

UK4Paul
01-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Wonder if they'll use this one:

"All who take the sword will perish by the sword." (Matt 26:52)

Would be kinda ironic...

Dieseler
01-19-2010, 12:46 PM
The Beast works in not so mysterious ways.
This idea would most assuredly not be the workings of Christ but the complete antithesis of which in itself is the nature of the Father of lies who loves these things which bring about such controversy in the word of God.