PDA

View Full Version : BATF Notice Bans Private Gun Sales In Texas

Dieseler
01-18-2010, 08:04 PM
http://www.prisonplanet.com/batf-notice-bans-private-gun-sales-in-texas.html

There is no law to prevent private sales without a license, police issue “direction” on orders of Feds

Steve Watson
Infowars.net
Monday, Jan 18, 2010

BATF Notice Bans Private Gun Sales In Texas 180110gunsales2The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is actively issuing directions banning private sales of guns without licenses at gun shows in Texas, despite there being no law to justify such demands.

A caller to the Alex Jones show brought attention to BATF notices handed out at the entrance of the Texas Gun And Knife Show, on North Lamaar, in Austin this past weekend.

The flyers (pictured below) state that anyone selling a firearm “will be asked to comply with” conditions including operating through a licensed FFL dealer.

The notice also states that “Selling firearms in the parking lot will not be permitted.”

“The lady at the front desk used her ‘mommy voice’ to get everyone’s attention.” Scott from Austin told The Alex Jones show, noting that the owners of the private building where the gun show was held were contacted by the APD and the BATF and directed to hand out the notices.

Scott also told listeners that a petition in protest of the directions was being handed around at the show.

Other attendees posted the flyer on web forums. One poster noted:

“Here is a public notice from a gun show in Austin, Texas this weekend. Do any fellow Texans know of any law changes that took effect recently that make person-to-person gun sales illegal? Has anyone else seen similar notices?”

“It was not handed out in the parking lot, it was posted at the entrance of the venue.” The forum user writes.

“I spoke with the man who runs the gun show and he said he was told on Thursday to post this (the gun show was Saturday and Sunday). Of course, the owner of the venue has the right to prohibit almost anything he wants on his property, but that’s not what this notice says. It says ‘at the direction of the Austin Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms’ and that’s what bothers me.”

http://www.infowars.net/pictures/january2010/180110gunsales.jpg

Original_Intent
01-18-2010, 08:10 PM
I would guess that the legal fig leaf was the "asked to comply" part; they did not state that failure to comply would result in the breaking of a law or with arrest. The correct response is "I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request."

Dieseler
01-18-2010, 08:13 PM
I would guess that the legal fig leaf was the "asked to comply" part; they did not state that failure to comply would result in the breaking of a law or with arrest. The correct response is "I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request."

Sounds good to me.

I learn something new here every day.

TRIGRHAPPY
01-18-2010, 10:49 PM
The flyer looks like a hoax to be quite honest. The dead give away would be the fact that there is no "Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms". There is, however, a "Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives."

Just pointing that out.

Promontorium
01-19-2010, 12:54 AM
The flyer looks like a hoax to be quite honest. The dead give away would be the fact that there is no "Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms". There is, however, a "Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives."

Just pointing that out.

That may be a clue, but if the ATF told some rookie cop to type it up and post it, then it may have gone through as is.

What this needs is media attention. And Alex Jones doesn't count. It can always help put checks on government intrusion when the MSM takes interest.

When I read that, one thought I had was "If I ran the place I'd forbid parking lot sales too" because that would be people taking advantage of your property and your investment to subvert profits from you. I'd kick them right out.

devil21
01-19-2010, 03:09 AM
I need more evidence before I accept it as truth but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it's true regardless.

Texan4Life
01-19-2010, 10:23 PM
http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/Gun-show-changes-raises-rights-issue

Promontorium
01-22-2010, 03:59 AM
Glad someone reported it, though they clearly distorted the issue as much as possible by a) using half the article to talk about the negative news of a few people in a year illegally buying a weapon and b) using the phrase "local police and federal agents met with HEB Grocery...to recommend the following ground rules" instead of flat out admiting they used much harsher words and scare tactics.