PDA

View Full Version : "What's in a cigarette? FDA to study ingredients"

talkingpointes
01-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Apparently the FDA is in the dark and feels it needs to know closely scrutinize what the ingredients are as if they had no idea. The FDA already has a raging hard on to make sure cigarettes have no flavor, because they are crusading for your freedom.

"It's an early step for an agency just starting to flex muscles granted by a new law that took effect last June that gives it broad power to regulate tobacco far beyond the warnings now on packs, short of banning it outright."

Ban it please, I would love to see how many deaths a year the black market will cause, got (illicit) drugs anyone ? (sarcasm)

"But its chief rivals -- No. 2 Reynolds American Inc., parent company of R.J. Reynolds, and No. 3 Lorillard, both based in North Carolina -- opposed the law. They said it would lock in Altria's share of the market because its size gives it more resources to comply with regulations and future limits on marketing under the law. Altria's brands include Marlboro, which held a 41.9 percent share of the U.S. cigarette market in the third quarter, according to Information Resources Inc."

Companies using goverment regulation to bury competition, nothing new here.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Whats-in-a-cigarette-FDA-to-apf-2831544356.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=1&asset=&ccode=

talkingpointes
01-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Bumpin' threads deserve to be bumped. :confused:

evilfunnystuff
01-19-2010, 11:44 AM
ya might be suprised that most cigarettes have in them

there is a lot more info here but i dont wanna hijack the thread so ill just post a couple points
http://home.ktc.com/bdrake/views.html#nscv013

Reconstituted tobacco is manufactured using tobacco scrap and waste materials which are are first ground to a fine powder. Then using acids and solvents, residual nicotine and natural tobacco materials are chemically stripped from the cellulose tobacco material.

At this point in the process, non-tobacco filler is added. This filler material is manufactured from cellulosic waste materials like recycled municipal paper waste, forest products industry waste, and food processing waste.

As an example of why stems and stalks are so popular with the cigarette companies, consider U.S.Patent # 4,379,464, titled "Cooked Flavors For Smoking Products".

This patent is dated April 12, 1983 and is assigned to Philip Morris Inc., NY. It's probably fair to assume that the inventors' discussion in this patent reflects the overall state of knowledge in the industry, including such remarks as

"In general tobacco stems and midribs represent an unsatisfactory portion of the cured tobacco leaf, from the standpoint of smoking, in the sense that they produce a stemmy taste on smoking and lack the desirable aroma and taste generally associated with tobacco lamina (leaves). Stems are usually separated from the desirable leaf, or lamina of the tobacco. To throw away the stems and midribs is uneconomical and, for this reason, methods have been devised to make them usable in smoking products."

RideTheDirt
01-19-2010, 01:02 PM
glad I quit

evilfunnystuff
01-19-2010, 04:51 PM
glad I quit

ive been rollin my own for over a year now and i smoke much less and am saving about 4-5 dollars per pack

it may be cause im smokin less but i have a feeling it has a lot to do with the fact that i am now smoking pure tobacco not just any old cigarette

it was actually our very own danno who inspired me to switch to rollin my own thanx again danno