PDA

View Full Version : Article V amendment convention process

Gee
06-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Here is a way Ron Paul could do some good for the country, and hopefully gain significant press in the process. Basically its a way to bypass the federal government in order to draft an amendment to the constitution. Then the state legistlatures would vote on whether or not to ratify it.

The article is here, "Open Letter to Congressman Ron Paul":
http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_joel_s___070606_open_letter_to_congr.htm
And the Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_to_propose_amendment_to_U.S._Constituti on

I never knew about this before... Naturally, the possibilities are enormous. An amendment could be created that would end the hated Iraq war or change immigration.

Is there anyone on here from the official campaign? If Dr. Paul organized something like this, I think it could be a huge boost to him. If a convention was held, he'd certainly participate and gain much name recognition.

Bradley in DC
06-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Our best hope for now is to concentrate on getting Dr. Paul the Republican nomination. Activities like this, I fear, would be a distraction and reinforce the "fringe" label.

Good to have a backup idea should Hillary or Rudy win though!

Gee
06-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Our best hope for now is to concentrate on getting Dr. Paul the Republican nomination. Activities like this, I fear, would be a distraction and reinforce the "fringe" label.
Well, he is probably not going to get a lot of press any time in the near future, unless Rudy decides to debate him on foreign policy (i.e., unless the sky falls). I thought this sounded like a good way to get some. Do you really think its "fringe"? I mean its spelled out in the constitution, and congress has been ignoring attempts by the states to use it.

Bradley in DC
06-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Do you really think its "fringe"? I mean its spelled out in the constitution, and congress has been ignoring attempts by the states to use it.

I think you answered your own question: if it's been ignored and few know of it or understand it, it would appear to be fringe, I fear--I did not say I think it's fringe.

Gee
06-06-2007, 08:08 AM
I think you answered your own question: if it's been ignored and few know of it or understand it, it would appear to be fringe, I fear--I did not say I think it's fringe.
Hrm, well, I understand an originalist interpretation of the constitution is now "fringe", but I wouldn't think following a process clearly spelled out in the constitution is. Especially at a time when so many people are so dissatisfied with the federal government. Either way, I hope Dr. Paul reads that article.

Bradley in DC
06-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Hrm, well, I understand an originalist interpretation of the constitution is now "fringe", but I wouldn't think following a process clearly spelled out in the constitution is. Especially at a time when so many people are so dissatisfied with the federal government. Either way, I hope Dr. Paul reads that article.

Dr. Paul is, I assure you, familiar with the article. I strongly believe he has a few more important things on his plate right now. Additionally, off the top of my head, this spells out a process for states to act, correct? Dr. Paul is a federal Congressman and would have no direct role anyway.

Gee
06-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Dr. Paul is, I assure you, familiar with the article. I strongly believe he has a few more important things on his plate right now. Additionally, off the top of my head, this spells out a process for states to act, correct? Dr. Paul is a federal Congressman and would have no direct role anyway.
The process by which the convention is organized and run is not defined in the constitution or, as far as I can tell, any law. So no one but the state legistlatures have a direct vote on the amendment, as far as I can tell. But I was more wondering why that author said something about congress ignoring petitions for an article V convention, and if someone could bring that out into the limelight. Of course, if the whole point of it is to bypass congress, I wonder what action congress was supposed to take?