PDA

View Full Version : Little Mosque On The Prairie

libertygrl
01-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Someone just turned me on to this incredibly funny, clever, sweet tv series that has been running in Canada for 4 years now called Little Mosque On The Prairie. You've got to check it out.

From Wikipedia:

While the show does derive some of its humour from exploring the interactions of the Muslims with the non-Muslim townspeople of Mercy, and the contrast of conservative Islamic views (held primarily by the characters of Baber and Fatima) with more liberal interpretations of Islam (as represented by Amaar and Rayyan), at its core the show is essentially a traditional sitcom whose most unique trait is the simple fact of being set among an underrepresented and misunderstood cultural community. Nawaz herself has stated that the show's primary agenda is to be funny, not to be a political platform. She has also stated that she views comedy as one of the most valuable and powerful ways to break down barriers and to encourage dialogue and understanding between cultures.

This is represented by the show's current promotional tagline, "Small town Canada with a little Muslim twist": the religious angle, while always present, is largely tied to and sometimes even secondary to standard and universal sitcom themes such as family, friends and the humour in everyday life. For example, while the show sometimes tackles storylines with a political edge, such as a character being unable to attend a conference in the United States after being wrongly placed on a no-fly list or the mosque being raided by the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, even these situations are explored as much for their humour as their politics. The show much more commonly explores purely comedic issues such as whether a Muslim woman still has to cover her hair if the only man who can see her is gay, whether Muslims can curl, whether to haggle with the carpet salesman when buying a prayer rug, or whether a Muslim woman's head scarf is enough to mitigate a bad hair day. Television critics have also credited this very combination of an attention-grabbing premise with conventional and familiar sitcom themes as one of the primary reasons that the show successfully retained an audience after its debut.

It runs about 20 min.

If America had this series I'm sure citizens would get a whole new perspective about Muslims and know that they are just people like you and me!

Check it out: http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/little-mosque-on-the-prairie-little-mosque/ScHyVJbDR2dyt-_j7uJNIQ

libertygrl
01-17-2010, 05:41 PM
oops .... sorry for extra post. Ignore.

Liberty Star
01-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Pretty funny LOL

StilesBC
01-17-2010, 11:26 PM
The few times I've watched it, I thought it was pretty good.