PDA

View Full Version : Elevated Carbon Dioxide in School Traced To...

LittleLightShining
01-17-2010, 11:29 AM
... wait for it...

Student's Breath (http://www.wmur.com/news/22249903/detail.html)

No, it's not from the Onion.

BRISTOL, N.H. -- School officials are taking steps to ventilate Newfound Memorial Middle School after unusually high levels of carbon dioxide were detected.

Inspectors testing energy efficiency at the school made the discovery and determined that the source of the carbon dioxide is the students themselves.

"As you know, as students exhale, they produce carbon dioxide and they release it into the atmosphere," said Superintendent Marie Ross.

But the aging ventilation system can't pump out all the carbon dioxide that students are exhaling. The district said a harmless but elevated amount of the gas lingers in the classrooms.

"As I said, I don't have a serious concern about the health hazards," Ross said.

Because students can't hold their breath for the whole school day, the school opens its windows at lunchtime. Officials said they will also let parents know about the problem.

"I'm sure that if it was at a level that was high enough to cause concern, then they would close the school," said Susan Colby, of Bristol.

The district said it is hoping the town will approve a plan to improve the ventilation system. The plan is expected to be presented this spring.

roho76
01-17-2010, 11:36 AM
OMG!!!!! Breathing in buildings? Someone needs to taser those kids then take their milk money to pay for carbon offset credits.

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Are these guys idiots? Carbon Dioxide is harmless unless astronomically concentrated. Carbon MONOxide, is deadly. Fucking tards.

LittleLightShining
01-17-2010, 11:44 AM
OMG!!!!! Breathing in buildings? Someone needs to taser those kids then take their milk money to pay for carbon offset credits.I fear for this generation, growing up being taught that their very existence threatens the planet.

Danke
01-17-2010, 11:48 AM
OMG!!!!! Breathing in buildings? Someone needs to taser those kids then take their milk money to pay for carbon offset credits.

Don't Tase me bro! I'm trying:

I'm doing my part. I only exhale on every other breath.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs019.snc3/12643_1066979971248_1728523159_118423_2453480_n.jp g

http://www.anotherthink.com/my_graphics/respirator-track-w.jpg

roho76
01-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Are these guys idiots? Carbon Dioxide is harmless unless astronomically concentrated. Carbon MONOxide, is deadly. Fucking tards.

Hey kids remember to wait at least 2 seconds before inhaling after exhaling. And don't forget your complimentary carbon scrubber gas mask at the door.

ItsTime
01-17-2010, 11:58 AM

They were testing the ventilation systems. A ventilation system is used to bring in fresh air and air with high carbon dioxide is not fresh air. Kids with breathing problems need fresh air.

With that said I do understand that this is self-hating propaganda. The type of propaganda that Christians used for 1000s of years to make you think everything you do is a "sin". In this case, breathing has become a sin.

Oh yeah then try this out for fun. Put a plastic bag tightly over your head and after 10 mins come back and tell me how great breathing heavy amounts of carbon dioxide is lol

Justin D
01-17-2010, 12:31 PM
I've always wondered where all that oxygen is supposed to come from for the students. In my highschool, a few people complain that it's "too cold" when a window is opened.

Lets think about this. We have 20-25 high school students in a small room with closed windows and closed door. I've never seen or heard a ventilation system operating. Where is the oxygen supposed to come from? Isn't this dangerous to be sitting in an environment like this for 40 minutes at a time? Where is the COO supposed to go?

pcosmar
01-17-2010, 01:02 PM
How about putting some growing plants in the classroom?

Oops, sorry. simple logic and inexpensive.
Forgive me. ;)

LittleLightShining
01-17-2010, 01:05 PM

Forgive me. ;)
I thought the same thing.

On a side note kids with actual opening windows in their classrooms are very lucky.

Brian4Liberty
01-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Who cares about the CO2. I want to know the dioxygen level!

ItsTime
01-17-2010, 03:14 PM

Forgive me. ;)

Exactly. Opening the windows when it is -5 out isnt that smart :eek:

Justin D
01-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Exactly. Opening the windows when it is -5 out isnt that smart :eek:

It's never that cold here during the day; it's usually around 35 in the winter. The classrooms can get hot and uncomfortable. My last period class is right above the boiler room and can exceed 85 degrees. If the temp. goes to 72 or lower, someone starts bitching and moaning about how cold it is when she has a jacket on...and the window gets slammed shut, not closed a little.

HOLLYWOOD
01-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Maybe Al Gore forgot to include the BILLIONS of additional Mamals on the planet expelling the additional CO2.

Okay Internet Inventor... what's you next deal? Every body remove a lung? Or just let the Blinderbergs decide how to reduce the CO2.

oh the options...

jackers
01-17-2010, 05:20 PM
5000 parts per million over an 8 hour period is an excess exposure level. I am sure a school full of children exhaling will not come close to that level. This is absolutely silly.

ItsTime
01-17-2010, 05:23 PM
It's never that cold here during the day; it's usually around 35 in the winter. The classrooms can get hot and uncomfortable. My last period class is right above the boiler room and can exceed 85 degrees. If the temp. goes to 72 or lower, someone starts bitching and moaning about how cold it is when she has a jacket on...and the window gets slammed shut, not closed a little.

Well here in New Hampshire it can get that cold

Isaac Bickerstaff
01-17-2010, 11:28 PM
More proof that school is bad for you.