PDA

View Full Version : The black guy that came over today. For the racists.

Oyate
01-17-2010, 03:26 AM
My neighbour had this cab-over camper which he was meaning to sell and finally he did to a guy named Al.

Al payed for the rig in advance and nobody thought about it much, the cab-over was just of in storage in the parking lot.

Now nobody strange makes it up to the top of this camp where me and the old boys are, not with the dogs and the young men with the rifles and such.

So the dogs set up a racket meaning and intruder is on the property and by the time I open the door, half the camp is surrounding a man in a brown Ford F150 with 4" lift kit and the rifle rack in the back winder sporting the compound bow, shotgun and hard hat.

When we saw that, we just figured he was one of us and called off the dogs.

Turns out that was good discretion because he was here to buy that cab-over like I told you before.

Well we all got together with our blocks and chocks and made some pots of coffee and drank every last drop and them commenced to drinking all the beer.

And I guess it was we were waiting for more pancakes or something but I got a chance to sit down next to Al and ask him "hey not for nothing but what do you do?"

He said he went to school as a graphic designer but couldn't handle hanging in a cubicle all day and he just quit it all and became practically the only black guy in this whole town.

He said he's worked in LA and Phoenix but was worried about the environment his kids were growing up in so he decided to be practically the only black guy in Prescott Arizona.

And I won't say we gave him differential treatment, it was just a Saturday so it just so happened there was like a dozen fully tooled and experienced tradesmen on hand to help out.

Which turned out to be a good thing.

We made up for all the saved time by building a fire and drinking some beer. Although in truth, it's a pretty good thing we had the compressor and grinders and some extra nuts and bolts, you know how it goes.

Well as dusk was coming on we all felt a bit sad to tell Al he better get on the road before the sun goes down. See if he had a problem on the road, we'd be too drunk to mount a proper rescue on the road so before that happens he probably ought to go. So he did. And we told him to take it slow.

Now will I tell you we're not racist? We sure as hell is, we love everybody that God ever did make upon this bright and sunny Earth.

Truth is we were sorry to see Al leave, we could have been the only neighbourhood to have a real live black man within at least 10 miles or so. And they way he handled a grinder showed he was one of us. Had to make him put on safety glasses and he stood there taking the electric shower for a good few minutes or so.

So we're clear on this, I like the ethnic mix in our camp ground, we got a bit of everything except black. So it was not without some wistfulness that we watched the only totally black dude in this part of Arizona take our cab-over that we had for sale,

And just drive it away.

who's wondering if he was in a shark tank. And that would be Al.