PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts about Ron Paul's "Incumbent Promise"?

RCA
01-16-2010, 04:49 PM
I just saw this video. It disturbs me a little, but I'm not sure by how much yet:

YouTube - Ron Paul's Incumbent Protection Plan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmJqSLNy8ms)

MRoCkEd
01-16-2010, 04:56 PM
If merely saying on paper that he supports the republican incumbents allows him to keep his placement on committees in congress, I'm fine with it...

Kludge
01-16-2010, 05:14 PM
What, you thought having an (R) next to your name was free? Compromise is necessary to ever be accepted by the GOP. If we aren't compromising, then they have no reason to compromise. You're batshit crazy if you believe the GOP is going to let their party be hijacked. If you associate with the GOP, you get the benefits and negatives which come with it. It is the trade-off necessary to becoming a viable political candidate for a national campaign and probably won't disappear in my lifetime.

This is an unimportant compromise and will likely not have any negative effect on anyone, while the GOP will let RP keep his job.

Cowlesy
01-16-2010, 05:23 PM
When he starts compromising on congressional votes, then I'll start to worry.

haaaylee
01-16-2010, 05:29 PM
interesting, hadn't heard that yet . . . seems very unlike ron.

romacox
01-16-2010, 05:30 PM
The Republican Liberty Caucus is part of the Ron Paul movement trying to effect change from within the Republican Party, and the core group of the RP continually kick them out of elected positions during campaigns because they (RLC) won't support the candidates the Republican Party wants them to.

Contrary to what many people on this site think, the Tea Party has chosen to remain independent of either party because they do not feel that most Republican candidates, nor Democrats represent them. I have noticed members of the RP joining the Tea Party trying to convince everyone to join the RP, and effect change from within. Individual members might be doing that, but so far the leadership says they will remain unaffiliated with either party because they are registered as that way. However most TP members are Conservatives, and tend to favor the Republican candidates.

P.S. recently I attended a FCTeaParty meeting, and there were three blacks present, one of them has a prominent leadership role, and says there are more blacks that want a limited government than people think, but many blacks are afraid to speak out about it .

low preference guy
01-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Ron Paul knows what he's doing.

FrankRep
01-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Welcome to politics people. Not a big deal.

Bruno
01-16-2010, 05:46 PM
How much future support did Ron just gain?

Agorism
01-16-2010, 05:56 PM
So long as he's not supporting Democrats (or John McCain for president) then I think it's no big deal.

ronpaulhawaii
01-16-2010, 06:20 PM
It is politics and letting the perfect get in the way of the good is a recipe for failure. As Cowlesy said, If he starts compromising on congressional votes, then I'll start to worry.

LibertyEagle
01-16-2010, 07:25 PM
There are at least 3 threads on this topic.

ctiger2
01-16-2010, 10:27 PM
You have to pick your battles. Would you rather see Ron Paul not support these people and get kicked off committee or support them and End The Fed? To me, getting back control of our money from The Fed is the single most important issue in this country.

nobody's_hero
01-17-2010, 06:21 PM
What, you thought having an (R) next to your name was free? Compromise is necessary to ever be accepted by the GOP. If we aren't compromising, then they have no reason to compromise.

I don't know about that particular point.

If the GOP loses every election 48% Republican –51% Democrats, and we make up the small stubborn percentage that would have made a difference, they'll either have to compromise, or they'll be losing until they give up completely (or they'll do like Arlen and just join the Democrat party :p).

But, I guess I have a whopping two issues to be upset with Ron about. Yet, he's still light-years ahead of anyone else in Congress, so, I'm still on board.

The bigger problem is that we have neocon incumbents desperately wanting to keep their seats, when they're long overdue to be replaced. Ron can't change that, though. It's up to the voters of their districts. We have some educating to do.

RideTheDirt
01-18-2010, 12:44 AM
When he starts compromising on congressional votes, then I'll start to worry.
This^

specsaregood
01-18-2010, 12:53 AM
This^

And, I think the man has proven that he is worthy of us trusting his judgement.

lx43
01-18-2010, 03:41 AM
Don't let it worry you. Ron Paul is one politican, well the only politician, that I really trust. He has proven his loyality to liberty beyond doubt with his speeches and more importantly his votes.

Baptist
01-18-2010, 04:50 AM
I find it sad that you all are making excuses for this. Lots of you came to love Ron Paul because he was not a politician. Now you're making excuses for this and saying "it's just politics."

Kludge
01-18-2010, 05:12 AM
I find it sad that you all are making excuses for this. Lots of you came to love Ron Paul because he was not a politician. Now you're making excuses for this and saying "it's just politics."

I took part in feeding a ridiculous fire in which Dr. Paul was being burned because he supported a bill similar to Cash for Clunkers. World ainīt ideal: people compromise. I still like Paul because his (uh.... communist hat off for this) ideals are relatively similar to my own. He acts on principle and, so far, has not compromised himself in any way which causes me to worry about his dedication or judgment (regarding how he handles himself with the GOP, at least).

Bman
01-18-2010, 05:46 AM

Not at all. If you hold an elected office in government it's impossible not to be defined as a politician, otherwise you wouldn't have an office.

Elected Official = Politician for starters.

Most of us like Ron because he is not a TYPICAL politician. Nothing has changed for me in this regard. All I've pointed out is that he's doing the same thing he's been doing for years. If you think otherwise you may need counseling, because you are quite possibly delusional. Ron's always supported incumbents.

Elwar
01-18-2010, 03:08 PM
I was curious about the Lamar Smith endorsement as well since he was my Congressman.

When the bailout was getting set up I sent Smith a letter (as precinct chair and state Republican delegate) telling him that he would lose my support if he voted for the bailout. One of his staffers called me trying to explain Smith's stance on the bailout. Talked about how it was necessary and that we'd be getting all of the money back anyway. I stood my ground and told him that it was a needless waste of our money and that Smith had lost my support.

Not that I really supported him anyway, and I was planning on moving to Florida at the time so it didn't really matter. :)

Old Ducker
01-18-2010, 03:19 PM
I have no problems with Paul's statement. He didn't dodge the question but answered it directly and honestly.

BuddyRey
01-18-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm not ready to dismiss Ron Paul as a "sellout", but this is a very disheartening development, and not at all a move that would be characteristic of the RP we all know and love.

He seems very nervous answering this question, and he prefaces it by saying, "I'm the most independent Republican in the party." RP almost never prefaces statements by referring to himself or paying himself a compliment.

I'm not saying he's been cloned or MKULTRA'ed here; I'm just saying it's weird. Is it possible he's been threatened or otherwise had his safety compromised to the extent that he would do something desperate and not at all like him?

low preference guy
01-18-2010, 04:32 PM
It seems obvious he's been threatened.

Elwar
01-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Either threatened...or setting up something bigger...

such as calling off the attack dogs on his son...

or perhaps a 2012 race

jake
01-18-2010, 05:54 PM
I don't see a problem in the slightest. the man is a member of the GOP ; he cannot support competing candidates to incumbents in his own state without serious blowback (IE: losing positions on committees as already stated in this thread, or losing support on initiatives such as HR1207)

rp08orbust
01-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Either threatened...or setting up something bigger...

such as calling off the attack dogs on his son...

or perhaps a 2012 race

Maybe committee chairmanship if Republicans regain a majority in the House of Reps.

RP4EVER
01-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Hed certainly be well pleased to get chairmanship of the Domestic Oversight SubCommittee in Financial Services. Remember what happened last time he was due to get it?

The GOP merged it with another subcommittee to keep him from chairing it.

evilfunnystuff
01-19-2010, 05:41 PM
dupe thread

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=226848&highlight=Incumbent

Badger Paul
01-19-2010, 05:51 PM
It's a quid pro quo, you don't support primary challengers against me, we're not going to back any against you.

dr. hfn
01-19-2010, 06:14 PM
non issue