PDA

View Full Version : Bush: Just Send Your Cash to our brothers and sisters in Haiti

Liberty Star
01-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Bush compares Katrina and Haiti quake and tells americans to just send their cash to our borthers and sisters in Haiti. What a great humanitarian.

YouTube - Bush: Just Send Your Cash (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2SgidwR4ds)

Dunedain
01-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Aren't enough of our taxes going there already? Aren't we giving up spots in our school system to teach illiterate Haitians? There are 60,000 illegal Haitians in Orlando alone. Bush can send his own money...I'm sick of hearing about this.

BTW - Bush is looking very haggard is he not?

raiha
01-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Aristide gave Haitians hope for a better life. Bush-Cheney did not see that in the country's best interests. This old Times story explains how Bush administration's flawed policy undermined democracy in Haiti:

The Bush administration has said that while Mr. Aristide was deeply flawed, its policy was always to work with him as Haiti’s democratically elected leader. But the administration’s actions in Haiti did not always match its words. Interviews and a review of government documents show that a democracy-building group close to the White House, and financed by American taxpayers, undercut the official United States policy and the ambassador assigned to carry it out.

As a result, the United States spoke with two sometimes contradictory voices in a country where its words carry enormous weight. That mixed message, the former American ambassador said, made efforts to foster political peace "immeasurably more difficult." Without a political agreement, a weak government was destabilized further, leaving it vulnerable to the rebels.

Mr. Curran accused the democracy-building group, the International Republican Institute, of trying to undermine the reconciliation process after disputed 2000 Senate elections threw Haiti into a violent political crisis. The group’s leader in Haiti, Stanley Lucas, an avowed Aristide opponent from the Haitian elite, counseled the opposition to stand firm, and not work with Mr. Aristide, as a way to cripple his government and drive him from power, said Mr. Curran, whose account is supported in crucial parts by other diplomats and opposition figures. Many of these people spoke publicly about the events for the first time.

Mr. Curran, a 30-year Foreign Service veteran and a Clinton appointee retained by President Bush, also accused Mr. Lucas of telling the opposition that he, not the ambassador, represented the Bush administration’s true intentions. Records show that Mr. Curran warned his bosses in Washington that Mr. Lucas’s behavior was contrary to American policy and "risked us being accused of attempting to destabilize the government." Yet when he asked for tighter controls over the I.R.I. in the summer of 2002, he hit a roadblock after high officials in the State Department and National Security Council expressed support for the pro-democracy group, an American aid official wrote at the time.

The International Republican Institute is one of several prominent nonprofit groups that receive federal funds to help countries develop the mechanisms of democracy, like campaigning and election monitoring. Of all the groups, though, the I.R.I. is closest to the administration. President Bush picked its president, Lorne W. Craner, to run his administration’s democracy-building efforts. The institute, which works in more than 60 countries, has seen its federal financing nearly triple in three years, from $26 million in 2003 to $75 million in 2005. Last spring, at an I.R.I. fund-raiser, Mr. Bush called democracy-building "a growth industry." These groups walk a fine line. Under federal guidelines, they are supposed to nurture democracy in a nonpartisan way, lest they be accused of meddling in the affairs of sovereign nations. But in Haiti, according to diplomats, Mr. Lucas actively worked against President Aristide.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/29/international/americas/29haiti.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2

raiha
01-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Aristide gave Haitians hope for a better life. Bush-Cheney did not see Aristide's popularity to be in the U.S's best interests. Dragging Bush up to the podium is not going to endear US to Haiti any more than it already is. Haitians loathe Bush. Doesn't Obama read the newspapers???
This old Times story explains how Bush administration's flawed policy undermined democracy in Haiti:

The Bush administration has said that while Mr. Aristide was deeply flawed, its policy was always to work with him as Haiti’s democratically elected leader. But the administration’s actions in Haiti did not always match its words. Interviews and a review of government documents show that a democracy-building group close to the White House, and financed by American taxpayers, undercut the official United States policy and the ambassador assigned to carry it out.

As a result, the United States spoke with two sometimes contradictory voices in a country where its words carry enormous weight. That mixed message, the former American ambassador said, made efforts to foster political peace "immeasurably more difficult." Without a political agreement, a weak government was destabilized further, leaving it vulnerable to the rebels.

Mr. Curran accused the democracy-building group, the International Republican Institute, of trying to undermine the reconciliation process after disputed 2000 Senate elections threw Haiti into a violent political crisis. The group’s leader in Haiti, Stanley Lucas, an avowed Aristide opponent from the Haitian elite, counseled the opposition to stand firm, and not work with Mr. Aristide, as a way to cripple his government and drive him from power, said Mr. Curran, whose account is supported in crucial parts by other diplomats and opposition figures. Many of these people spoke publicly about the events for the first time.

Mr. Curran, a 30-year Foreign Service veteran and a Clinton appointee retained by President Bush, also accused Mr. Lucas of telling the opposition that he, not the ambassador, represented the Bush administration’s true intentions. Records show that Mr. Curran warned his bosses in Washington that Mr. Lucas’s behavior was contrary to American policy and "risked us being accused of attempting to destabilize the government." Yet when he asked for tighter controls over the I.R.I. in the summer of 2002, he hit a roadblock after high officials in the State Department and National Security Council expressed support for the pro-democracy group, an American aid official wrote at the time.

The International Republican Institute is one of several prominent nonprofit groups that receive federal funds to help countries develop the mechanisms of democracy, like campaigning and election monitoring. Of all the groups, though, the I.R.I. is closest to the administration. President Bush picked its president, Lorne W. Craner, to run his administration’s democracy-building efforts. The institute, which works in more than 60 countries, has seen its federal financing nearly triple in three years, from $26 million in 2003 to $75 million in 2005. Last spring, at an I.R.I. fund-raiser, Mr. Bush called democracy-building "a growth industry." These groups walk a fine line. Under federal guidelines, they are supposed to nurture democracy in a nonpartisan way, lest they be accused of meddling in the affairs of sovereign nations. But in Haiti, according to diplomats, Mr. Lucas actively worked against President Aristide.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/29/international/americas/29haiti.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2

MelissaWV
01-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Awesome! Cash is so useful when there isn't anything to buy, right?

Cash to the established charities in the area is a way better idea. They're spending funds they already have, and many have to rebuild sites they were operating out of in Haiti. You're not funding the rescue/humanitarian effort; you're funding the organizations undertaking the effort so that they're still around once this event's overwith.

But yeah... the involuntary funding is horrible. $100,000,000? Sure. We can print that right up for you. It's almost tax season, after all.

Liberty Star
01-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Looks like people are listening to Bush. Redcross webite is no longer able to accept money donations directly due to heavy volume and is rerouting payments to paypal site now.

BTW, anyone remembers if Bush ever showed the same love before and addressed Mexicans or New Orleans or Iraqis as our Chrisrtian "brothers and sisters" in any of his speeches while he was in office?

Bruno
01-17-2010, 01:00 PM
How did he keep a straight face when he said he and Clinton would make sure our money was spent wisely?

catdd
01-17-2010, 01:03 PM
[QUOTE=MelissaWV;2496659]Awesome! Cash is so useful when there isn't anything to buy, right?

I hear those FRNs are both nutritious and delicious when boiled in stagnant water.

Liberty Star
01-17-2010, 01:29 PM
How did he keep a straight face when he said he and Clinton would make sure our money was spent wisely?

Well he did have his signature smirk on - the one that makes him so charming and likeable - when he said "just send your cash". I don't think he winked.

andrewh817
01-17-2010, 01:32 PM
The other day I saw a homeless man holding a sign saying "Any help appreciated. God Bless!"
My sister offered him an orange and he turned up his nose......... this is exactly like that. The government can't spend blankets and food!

MurrayMe
01-17-2010, 01:36 PM
The other day I saw a homeless man holding a sign saying "Any help appreciated. God Bless!"
My sister offered him an orange and he turned up his nose......... this is exactly like that. The government can't spend blankets and food!

Maybe he was allergic to oranges? :p

I really disagree with giving them our tax dollars. Enough people are contributing on their own.

catdd
01-17-2010, 01:40 PM
It's the confusion of wealth vs money. If you are stranded on a raft out in the ocean, what good would a trillion dollars do you?
Real wealth would be an outboard motor with gas, a compass, and a jug of water.

Dianne
01-17-2010, 01:42 PM
I would never consider sending my money through a Bush/Obama/Clinton fund... They probably cut a deal with BOA or one of their great friends, to charge 50% service charges for handling the money and the rest goes to Haiti.

Those are the last people I would trust with my money.

Bruno
01-17-2010, 02:35 PM
oops wrong thread

tonesforjonesbones
01-17-2010, 03:22 PM
The Bush/Clinton effort is not tax money they are asking for private contributions...CHARITY. Isn't that what you folks promote? CHARITY? Oh ..not as long as it is BUSH asking for the CHARITY right? YOu are a bunch of hypocrites. TONES

ItsTime
01-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Mines on its way!

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/5740795/2/istockphoto_5740795-dollar-boat.jpg

Kludge
01-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Anyone else stifle laughs when Bush said "President Clinton and I are going to work to tap that same spirit of giving."?

andrewh817
01-19-2010, 08:04 AM
The Bush/Clinton effort is not tax money they are asking for private contributions...CHARITY. Isn't that what you folks promote? CHARITY? Oh ..not as long as it is BUSH asking for the CHARITY right? YOu are a bunch of hypocrites. TONES

Somehow I can't picture two men who have ordered air strikes on civilians caring too much about helping the poor.

TotalLiberty
01-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Bush & Clinton being involved has corruption written all over it. DO NOT send cash to the organizations these buffoons tell you to. Better to donate clothes or something else. If you can only donate money, Salvation Army has a good track record, but Red Cross does not. Anything involving government will be sure to be squandered.

Romulus
01-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Cant that fucker just STFU already.. he's not in office.. go crawl back in your hole, W! And stop giving BHO ideas after he's booted out.

ramallamamama
01-19-2010, 10:10 AM
If their lips move, believe the opposite.

C'MON, THEY'RE FUCKING PSYCHOPATHS!

ScoutsHonor
01-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Bush & Clinton being involved has corruption written all over it. DO NOT send cash to the organizations these buffoons tell you to. Better to donate clothes or something else. If you can only donate money, Salvation Army has a good track record, but Red Cross does not. Anything involving government will be sure to be squandered.

+1

MelissaWV
01-19-2010, 10:20 AM

Clothing is going to be needed, but the immediate needs are cash, medical supplies, and water. I am in absolute agreement about the Red Cross. They are being pushed all over the place by the Government, and big organizations. Fie on them. They have an awful history, and they aren't already there. They're just another group trying to get their stuff there ASAP.

There were already numerous aid organizations in Haiti that are in desperate need of help rebuilding. Every time I see that someone new was flown in to "tour the devastation" it makes my blood boil. If you can get reporters and dignitaries there, you can get food/water/medicine there. It's a choice being made. It's not the right one.

s35wf
01-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Haitians (for the most part) are just people of a darker color wanting to feed, cloth their famalies just like us! You want to help??? rather than sending $ to red cross; give one of them some food, clothing, $, a job when they arrive here in Florida! There will soon be about 5-10K of them in Orlando very soon!

I watched some msm news last night, cant remember what channel; however there is very little crime and/or looting in the country. Most people just peaceably standing in line waiting for aid supplies like water & food. In contrast to the situation in new orleans during Katrina I would welcome a nice peaceful haitian family into my neighborhood before some of the scum that was running the streets in new orleans any day!

PS A Haitian family Helped/Saved me when i was homeless & destitute in this town 20 years ago! Yeah they have different eating habits, are a little dirtier than I was raised, but are overall generally a very pleasant, friendly, good group of honest, hardworking people!

I actually was invited to one of their gatherings, (me only white face in a room of aprx 50-100 blacks). ALL were friendly, we ate, danced, & had a good time! NO ONE gave me a hard time because of my white skin!

Too bad our economy sucks in this state currently, and an influx of any group of people for whatever reason is just going to hurt our situation in this state much harder than it is already!

MelissaWV
01-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Haitians (for the most part) are just people of a darker color wanting to feed, cloth their famalies just like us! You want to help??? rather than sending $ to red cross; give one of them some food, clothing, $, a job when they arrive here in Florida! There will soon be about 5-10K of them in Orlando very soon!

I watched some msm news last night, cant remember what channel; however there is very little crime and/or looting in the country. Most people just peaceably standing in line waiting for aid supplies like water & food. In contrast to the situation in new orleans during Katrina I would welcome a nice peaceful haitian family into my neighborhood before some of the scum that was running the streets in new orleans any day!

PS A Haitian family Helped/Saved me when i was homeless & destitute in this town 20 years ago! Yeah they have different eating habits, are a little dirtier than I was raised, but are overall generally a very pleasant, friendly, good group of honest, hardworking people!

I actually was invited to one of their gatherings, (me only white face in a room of aprx 50-100 blacks). ALL were friendly, we ate, danced, & had a good time! NO ONE gave me a hard time because of my white skin!

Too bad our economy sucks in this state currently, and an influx of any group of people for whatever reason is just going to hurt our situation in this state much harder than it is already!

I would welcome a nice peaceful family from New Orleans before I welcomed someone rude or violent from Haiti, too; it's the behavior that determines it, not the origin of the person.

Sending people clothing is just going to create a massive backlog. It's a nice thought, but that's not what the need is right now. I know people have their hearts in the right place but I have to question whether they have a brain in their skulls sometimes. I saw a place locally collecting *toys* for Haitian families. Toys. Nothing to eat, but at least I have a Barbie!

RideTheDirt
01-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Clothing is going to be needed, but the immediate needs are cash, medical supplies, and water. I am in absolute agreement about the Red Cross. They are being pushed all over the place by the Government, and big organizations. Fie on them. They have an awful history, and they aren't already there. They're just another group trying to get their stuff there ASAP.

There were already numerous aid organizations in Haiti that are in desperate need of help rebuilding. Every time I see that someone new was flown in to "tour the devastation" it makes my blood boil. If you can get reporters and dignitaries there, you can get food/water/medicine there. It's a choice being made. It's not the right one.
Yeah, send as much food/water as you can and a crew to transport it. touring it sounds psychopathic.