PDA

View Full Version : tea parties and ron paul revolution: differences. similarities

lester1/2jr
01-16-2010, 09:48 AM
The tea parties certainly RESEMBLE the ron paul rallies in 2008 but they are not exactly the same thing as we are seeing more and more.

there are alot of similiarities: the same sort of signs about less spending and so forth appear at both. some (SOME) of the same people appear at both.

If memory serves me correctly, the tea parties arose out of the Obama adminstrations profligate spending or proposals for such in the face of economic recession, which struck many people as the wrong approach.

The Ron Paul revolution of about a year earlier was more libertarian, basically. It wasn't un "pitchork" y but it generally had alot more intellectual heft and was also anti war, something tea parties haven't really been. The antiwar stance of the RP revolution was related to the economy too, but the tea parties do not seem to connect foreign wars to the economy. They don't really deal with the issue that much though the right wing media that champions them is still hawkish in a muted "we don't actually care about this but will trot out hawkish talking points every few weeks" sort of way.

Many people active in the Ron Paul revolution, sush as myself, either out of repressed snobbery or fear of being next to a Bush supporter wouldn't be caught dead at a tea party.

When pressed. most republicans probably see Ron Paul as a radical and also "left" on war.

I'm just kind of brainstorming here. Maybe someone else can explain this in more concrete terms.

Also, as evidenced in the Massachusetts Senate Race: Tea Parties have used moneybombs and anti government rhetoric to good effect with, other than a few posts here (including mine "fuck scott brown"), not much protest from the ron paul revolutionaries.

speciallyblend
01-16-2010, 10:01 AM
call out the neo-con gopers and vote'em out. hold the gop leadership accountable. that is the fastest way to reform and reclaim the failed gop. re-electing neo-cons is not the way...

last time i looked i am a registered republican not an lper. the gop does not understand. they are the problem not the democratic party....

we must hold the gop/tea party neocons accountable by making sure they marginalize themselves..

LibertyEagle
01-16-2010, 10:03 AM
last time i looked i am a registered republican not an lper. the gop does not understand. they are the problem not the democratic party....

What? BOTH of them are "the problem", sb.

speciallyblend
01-16-2010, 10:11 AM
What? BOTH of them are "the problem", sb.

well the dems are only a problem,if they are running a democrat in the gop. that is what i meant,nothing the dems do reforms the gop. the gop is who needs to be held accountable. don't worrying about dems .when the republicans are the problem in the gop. that is what i am saying. we should be focusing on removing failed gop leaders or allowing them to marginalize themselves , do not worrying about what dems are doing. remove the neo-cons from the gop... the gop wants you to focus on the dems,so you won;t focus on the problem, the gop leadership, last time i looked registered dems are not registered republicans,so they are mute to gop leadership and reforming/reclaiming the failed gop.

as long as you focus on the dems your not focused on gop leadership which is the problem bottom line ,the gop leadership is the problem in the gop,not obama... unless obama is a registered republican?? unless obama registers republican. then i cannot see how bothering with dems is gonna reform the failed gop. they want you to be distracted, then they are like vote our neo-con in so the dems can't win. my motto is vote the neo-con leaders out ,so we can run liberty candidates,so what the dems do is pointless to reforming gop leadership... unless they are registered republicans..

my job locally is to remove all neo-con republicans(opposing marijuana legalization is a good way to get voters in our county to vote the neo-cons out)(thank you gop for helping me unite over 72% of majority of our voters against a failed gop that is out of touch with voters and citizens locally) from office. i am focusing on holding both parties accountable but nothing the dems do has anything to do with holding the gop accountable,unless they are elected republicans....

i am just glad we have some conservative libertarian republicans elected as dems in our county;) all politics is local;)

you see our state and local gop ,thinks ignoring a majority of voters gets you elected;) gotta love their reasoning eh?:) oppose 72% of the voters... i can only say thank you cogop...

the last thing i am going to do is reward a failed gop neo-con with a victory,just because they say a dem is running. if the gop wants my vote and others. they need to look within to gain it. just yellling that dem is running doesn't cut it. they want my vote they better listen and act and reform their own party and platform or i promise you the gop will become a marginalized 3rd party in Colorado ,no matter what the dems do or say..the gop leadership and candidates must be held accountable in the gop

honestly the gop is running candidates against themselves not the dems. if the gop wants to win,run liberty candidates. if they want to lose keep running what they have. as i am sayiung the gop is not running against dems. they are running against themselves and will be held accountable by us...

IRONCLAD
01-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Good reading.

LibertyEagle
01-16-2010, 10:49 AM
I agree with you on a lot of that, sb. Many R's are trying to deflect attention from their own whorehouse, by trying to convince us that any 'ol R is better than a D. I ain't falling for it either.

speciallyblend
01-16-2010, 11:17 AM
I agree with you on a lot of that, sb. Many R's are trying to deflect attention from their own whorehouse, by trying to convince us that any 'ol R is better than a D. I ain't falling for it either.

thats really all i am saying;)

parocks
01-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Solid analysis.

RP supporters circa 2008 - similar to tea partiers (largest chunk) + antiwar ex D
(smaller chunk)

RPF.com today - antiwar ex D + a small fragment of what was the largest chunk in 2007-8.

What has been happening is RP has been gathering in the antiwar, which tends to push away the conservative Republicans. They probably feel more comfortable with tea partiers than the antiwar types.

The tea parties certainly RESEMBLE the ron paul rallies in 2008 but they are not exactly the same thing as we are seeing more and more.

there are alot of similiarities: the same sort of signs about less spending and so forth appear at both. some (SOME) of the same people appear at both.

If memory serves me correctly, the tea parties arose out of the Obama adminstrations profligate spending or proposals for such in the face of economic recession, which struck many people as the wrong approach.

The Ron Paul revolution of about a year earlier was more libertarian, basically. It wasn't un "pitchork" y but it generally had alot more intellectual heft and was also anti war, something tea parties haven't really been. The antiwar stance of the RP revolution was related to the economy too, but the tea parties do not seem to connect foreign wars to the economy. They don't really deal with the issue that much though the right wing media that champions them is still hawkish in a muted "we don't actually care about this but will trot out hawkish talking points every few weeks" sort of way.

Many people active in the Ron Paul revolution, sush as myself, either out of repressed snobbery or fear of being next to a Bush supporter wouldn't be caught dead at a tea party.

When pressed. most republicans probably see Ron Paul as a radical and also "left" on war.

I'm just kind of brainstorming here. Maybe someone else can explain this in more concrete terms.

Also, as evidenced in the Massachusetts Senate Race: Tea Parties have used moneybombs and anti government rhetoric to good effect with, other than a few posts here (including mine "fuck scott brown"), not much protest from the ron paul revolutionaries.

prophet
01-16-2010, 03:01 PM

Here is one big difference between the Tea Parties and the RP Revolution: http://teapartypatriots.ning.com/video/aztlan-last-gasp-of-white

Another is that the TP can put hundreds of thousands of people in the streets.

libertygrl
01-16-2010, 05:35 PM
What good is putting hundreds of thousands of people in the streets only when the Democrats are in power, then disappear when Republicans are in office committing the same unconstitutional crimes??

Lovecraftian4Paul
01-16-2010, 05:49 PM
What good is putting hundreds of thousands of people in the streets only when the Democrats are in power, then disappear when Republicans are in office committing the same unconstitutional crimes??

None. Just look how badly the anti-war rallies dried up after Obama's victory seemed inevitable. There is one small local group of true pacifists in a neighboring town that are still out on the same corner every week with signs. But the big protests in major downtown areas have all but ended since Obama came in.

romacox
01-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Just like not all libertarians agree, each Tea Party organization is different. Some take on one issue like taxes or Health Care, others take on any issue that is un-constitutional. Some are closer to RP than others.

AuH20
01-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Kill the fed, and in the process end the imperialist campaigns. Wars leech off massive inflation. It's rather simple and why some people don't see this is beyond me.

zach
01-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Seems like they want to keep the focus on a diversion..

why would corporate companies care about the average citizen enough to make them protest about things that actually threaten the companies' profits?

Joseph de Maistre
01-17-2010, 12:18 AM

I joined in a local protest of one Newt Gingrich - as I'm sure you're aware, he threw his support behind the leftist in NY.

It's Gingrich's logic that brings us leftward, closer to the couch with the Pelosi sitting on it and the global warming being bandied about.

mello
01-17-2010, 01:28 AM
Ron Paul supporters are web-savvy enough to know where "teabaggers" originated.

trey4sports
01-17-2010, 02:29 AM
I think we as RP supporters started the Tea Party fad but the larger group of neocons have taken a larger role in the national tea partys of late. I think midterms should prove that we are making solid ground on changing the mainstream though. Our movement is like a snowball slowly gaining steam goind down a hil...geting bigger....and bigger........and bigger......
1 politician gained this year..........
3 in 2 years
9 in 4
20 in 6
60 in 8

and hopefully within a time frame of 20 years or so, libertarianism will have overtaken the other archaic and outdated ideologies

lester1/2jr
01-17-2010, 10:05 AM
theres no doubt in my mind that the tea parties are more often than not a dumbed down, de clawed version of the revolution and other than getting incumbent dems out in 10 and 12 I wonder how useful to the cause of liberty they actually are.

I mean, my nightmare is all these tea party guys get elected and we end up in a war with iran

catdd
01-17-2010, 10:38 AM
theres no doubt in my mind that the tea parties are more often than not a dumbed down, de clawed version of the revolution and other than getting incumbent dems out in 10 and 12 I wonder how useful to the cause of liberty they actually are.

I mean, my nightmare is all these tea party guys get elected and we end up in a war with iran

Yeah, if they are not well versed in Ron Paulitics they cannot understand how policing the world is an unconstitutional drain on our economy.
It will be business as usual unless they get off the war wagon.

lester1/2jr
01-17-2010, 10:58 AM
it feels like the continuation of the palin mcCain campaign more and more every day

what's amazing is in the face of this, democrats still can't bring themselves to propose any spending cuts.

stuckonpolitics
01-17-2010, 11:31 AM

I don't think that will be the case, so long as the same spending trends continue. In Arkansas, it seems the biggest issue in my region is spending, followed by healthcare. On the state level, that would be spending, healthcare, immigration, taxation.

Use the tea parties as a platform to push forward libertarian thought. Defense policy is so far out of most of these people's mind that you'll only put them off by focusing on it. It's simply not their pet issue - most of them are just waking up to politics, and will defend what they have traditionally believed before stopping an re-evaluating it. If you say something they interpret as "leftist", they'll stop listening.