PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico CD-3 Heating Up

ronpaulhawaii
01-15-2010, 11:19 PM
http://newmexicoindependent.com/44484/mullins-kokeshs-actions-dishonor-the-military

Mullins: Kokesh’s actions “dishonor the military”
By MATTHEW REICHBACH 1/15/10 3:15 PM
Republican candidate for the 3rd Congressional District Tom Mullins took a swipe at his sole opponent in the Republican primary, Adam Kokesh, in a post on his official campaign blog yesterday. Mullins wrote that he believes that the actions taken by anti-war protester Kokesh “dishonor the military and our nation’s military men and women.”

After being spotted wearing his military uniform at a 2007 Washington D.C. protest against the Iraq War, Kokesh was given a general discharge, one step below an honorable discharge. Kokesh’s appeal of the decision was denied. Kokesh also famously protested against Sen. John McCain at the Republican National Convention in 2008.

Mullins wrote the post after receiveing an unsigned letter (embedded below) that Mullins says questioned his commitment to the Constitution. He believed the letter came from someone connected to the Kokesh campaign.

“It is possible that, because he has never served in the military, Mr. Mullins does not understand the type of commitment and dedication required to volunteer for our armed forces,” Sharp said. “Still, we believe Mr. Mullins owes an apology not just to Mr. Kokesh, but to all active duty military service members and veterans. ”

A representative from the Kokesh campaign told the New Mexico Independent that the letter did not come from the campaign, but from a Kokesh supporter who attended one of Mullins’ events.

“You claim to be a champion of the Constitution, yet you have taken several unconstitutional positions either out of ignorance, lack of commitment to the document, or perhaps worse: in an effort to pander to voters,” a portion of the letter reads. The letter is signed, “A New Mexico Veteran.”

“Dear sir, be not afraid of me, for I know freedom,” Mullins wrote in response. “I know liberty. I will defend the Constitution. Our founding fathers blessed us with this document. I stand behind my words with actions.”

Kokesh’s campaign has highlighted his service in the U.S. Marine Corps, and Kokesh communications director Andrew Sharp referred to it in a statement e-mailed to The New Mexico Independent:

“Adam enlisted at the age of 17 in the United States Marine Corps and later volunteered to serve in Iraq with a civil affairs unit in Fallujah. When he returned, he established a group home for OIF/OEF (Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom) veterans, founded peer-to-peer counseling groups for veterans with PTSD, and he continues to raise awareness about veterans’ issues.”

Mullins says that of the two candidates in the Republican primary, his credentials are the most impressive:

“New Mexicans in the 3rd Congressional District will have a choice in this Republican primary between a rousing orator whose resume reads with a single line item: “war protester,” or a Tea Party Organizer, Father, Pro-Life, Pro-Gun, Catholic, Engineer, and Taxpaying Creator of Wealth who will win New Mexico’s 3rd Congressional District. …I will win this seat for the people.”

But the Kokesh campaign bristled at that characterization.

“We believe that Mr. Mullins’ insinuation that Adam’s service to our country as a Marine in Iraq isn’t worth a line on his resume is a slap in the face to all military personnel and veterans.”

Although Mullins says his father and his grandfather both served in the Army, he says his “time to serve our nation in its hour of need is right now.”

Kokesh has a national base of Tea Party advocates, but Mullins describes himself as an organizer in the Farmington Tea Party movement.

The two candidates are vying for the chance to take on incumbent Representative Ben Ray Lujan in the general election. Lujan won election in a three-way race with more than 50 percent of the vote in 2008.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/25269907/Tom-Mullins-Ben-Ray-Lujan-s-Best-Friend

comments are pretty good as well :)

Travlyr
01-17-2010, 07:46 PM
http://newmexicoindependent.com/44484/mullins-kokeshs-actions-dishonor-the-military

comments are pretty good as well :)

Almost all the comments support Adam!