PDA

View Full Version : Joe Kennedy For Senate. No, Not That Joe

Bruno
01-15-2010, 02:03 PM
http://www.wbur.org/2010/01/15/joe-kennedy-2

Joe Kennedy For Senate. No, Not That Joe
By ADAM RAGUSEAPublished January 15, 2010 UPDATED 2:30 PM SHARE:

Joseph L. Kennedy
BOSTON — A recent Blue Mass Group poll in the special U.S. Senate race has Democrat Martha Coakley leading Republican Scott Brown 49 to 41 percent, with a margin of error of plus-or-minus 4 percent. That poll also found 5 percent are undecided and another 5 percent support independent candidate Joseph L. Kennedy.

Another new poll, from Suffolk University, has Brown ahead of Coakley by four points.

With such a thin margin between the front-runners, Kennedy’s bid could prove a deciding factor. Kennedy will be listed on the ballot as an independent, but he espouses a set of libertarian principles that in recent years have gained popularity through the candidacy of Texas Congressman Ron Paul and the “Tea Party” movement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Very Different Sort Of Kennedy

Perhaps the most remarkable thing about Kennedy is that he is on the ballot — no small feat in Massachusetts.

Of course, if you were to call some of the 10,000-plus people who signed Kennedy’s nomination papers, like I did, you might have a few conversations like the one I had with Michael Leblanc of Quincy:

“Do you know if Joe Kennedy is related to Ted Kennedy?” I asked.

“Uh, not sure,” Leblanc said. “I believe so. Is he?”

Yeah, no.

So, does Kennedy himself get tired of answering the name question?

“At the very, very beginning, I was very tired of answering the name question because people would say ‘Joe Kennedy’s not running,’ and I would say, ‘No, I’m standing right here in front of you’,” Kennedy told me, laughing. “‘You’re right, I’m not running, I’m standing.’ ”

We’re at the Green Dragon Tavern across from Union Oyster House, and it’s not the very beginning of the campaign anymore. A lot people know this isn’t 1-800-JOE-4-OIL. This Joe Kennedy has 1,400 Facebook fans, a couple of whom have driven some distance here on a Saturday night just to meet the self-described “only small government candidate” in this race.

People like Scott Humphries, who approaches Kennedy while we’re chatting at the bar.

“I’m sorry to interrupt,” Humphries says. “I wanted to shake your hand. I’ll vote for you on Jan. 19.”

“Oh, fantastic,” Kennedy says.

“I saw your Facebook event,” Humphries tells him. “I visit your page quite a bit.”

“Oh, fantastic,” Kennedy repeats.

Humphries is a dad from Millis, who says he never much cared about politics until two or three years ago.

“Watched a little bit of Ron Paul — he’s startin’ to kind of seep in a little bit,” Humphries says. “You know, it still took a little while for the philosophy to come together.”

“Well the press likes to drown Dr. Paul, and they wanna make fun of Dr. Paul,” Kennedy says.

The Ron Paul Effect

“I really want the American people to wake up and challenge the system,” Ron Paul said after losing the 2008 Republican presidential nomination. “You can’t get in on debates, you can’t get in on the ballots — the parties are the same.”

Joe Kennedy took that message to heart. He has proven that a so-called “liberty candidate” can get on the ballots — and in on debates.

cont.

angelatc
01-15-2010, 02:06 PM
I would laugh out loud if Joe Kennedy was the spoiler.

Elwar
01-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Does Mass have run-off elections?

Aratus
01-16-2010, 08:52 AM
i think we might and could! i've now seen three seperate coakley campaign
liturature 'for instances' in the mailbox, is she about to happily spam further???
one of her missives was a takeoff on the UPS ads we all often see in print...

Liberty Star
01-17-2010, 01:07 PM
This is interesting, so Kennedy name on the ballot could pull some loyal Dem votes away from Coakley just because of his lastname. Such is our voting public.

Brian4Liberty
01-17-2010, 01:57 PM
This is interesting, so Kennedy name on the ballot could pull some loyal Dem votes away from Coakley just because of his lastname. Such is our voting public.

Which is probably why Coakley insisted that Kennedy be at the debate. She wants people to see him so they know he is not "a" Kennedy.

parocks
01-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Which is probably why Coakley insisted that Kennedy be at the debate. She wants people to see him so they know he is not "a" Kennedy.

Well, that would be a part of it, but most people watching the debate would know already that Kennedy wasn't "that" Kennedy. Coakley wanting Kennedy in there criticizing Brown. She thought Kennedy would motivate more conservatives than liberals.

Any electorate is going to have the most informed and the least informed.

A Kennedy sign in Cambridge may still appeal to the least informed.

Aratus
01-18-2010, 11:06 AM
methinks and/or even the semi-literate as well as the totally new york times well informed!
some workingclass neighborhoods in cambridge mass might have ethnically
in "purple shamrock" terms galvanized behind mike capuano if only because
he's half irish and half italian! coakley has a ms. hillary pull and appeal! keep
in mind that harvard U. also has a dedicated core of LIBERTARIANs on campus!
things sometimes aren't totally town verses gown! shades of the last hurrah!
edwin o'conner's book has frank skeffington being a curley era machine hack
staring at his tv set as a morph of mitt romney and jfk talks back at him as
he swears at the same said ole black&white tv set with the funny tin-foiled
rabbit ears! the book is about a turningpoint in our politics, and this election
is a likewise line of demarcation between the past and the future! O! herding cats!

Aratus
01-30-2013, 09:22 AM
here is an old thread about JOE L. KENNEDY (I) who is not to be confused with Teddy's nephew or grand-nephew!