PDA

View Full Version : Tom Campbell

South Park Fan
01-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Since he switched from the gubernatorial race to the senate race, how do you think he will impact Chuck Devore's chances?

Brian4Liberty
01-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Since he switched from the gubernatorial race to the senate race, how do you think he will impact Chuck Devore's chances?

It should help Chuck.

Chuck DeVore is in SoCal, Fiorina and Campbell will be competing for NoCal/Silicon Valley votes. DeVore will still be seen as the "Tea Party" candidate compared to them.

Campbell may compete with DeVore for some libertarian votes, but it's almost a toss up, and Campbell's late entry won't help him. Campbell has taken a shot at a California US Senate seat before (vs. Feinstein), and lost by an overwhelming margin.

Brian4Liberty
01-16-2010, 11:39 AM
DeVore's press release on Tom Campbell's switch to the Senate race.

Jan 14, 2010
DeVore Welcomes Tom Campbell to the Race

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- DeVore for California, the U.S. Senatorial campaign of Assemblyman Chuck DeVore, today welcomed the entry of former Congressman Tom Campbell to the race for the Republican nomination to face Barbara Boxer in this year's election.

"I've known Tom Campbell for many years in public life," said Chuck DeVore, "and he has my respect as a substantive and well-intentioned participant in California politics. We don't agree on much: he wants to raise taxes, and I think they're too high; he's pro-abortion, and I'm pro-life; he's a moderate-left politician, and I'm a proven conservative leader. But we do agree that a vigorous discussion among Republicans on these matters is overdue. With Tom Campbell in the race, we can finally have that conversation."

Leisa Brug Kline, DeVore for California campaign manager, said, "Tom Campbell's entry in this race obviously changes the dynamic quite a bit. The race between Chuck DeVore and Carly Fiorina was a contest between a real conservative, and a moderate-left millionaire who desperately wants to be seen as conservative. Campbell brings an unashamed and forthright moderate-left perspective to the race. California Republicans now have a choice between two genuine and differing candidates -- and that's a good thing."

Joshua Treviņo, DeVore for California communications director, said, "The real story in Tom Campbell's jump to the Senatorial race is the ongoing implosion of the Carly Fiorina candidacy. Make no mistake: Campbell would not be a Senate candidate if Fiorina's fundraising was not lackluster, if her establishment backing was not shaky, and if her inevitability narrative was not in tatters."

http://www.chuckdevore.com/news.asp?artid=216

Flash
01-16-2010, 01:52 PM
It will help him,

"Is there enough oxygen in the room for two Silicon Valley Republicans?" asked Tony Quinn of the nonpartisan California Target Book and a former GOP strategist. "I look for Fiorina to come out as the Tea Party-type of candidate - the outsider who is running against the career politicians."

If Campbell or Fiorina doesn't emerge soon, Quinn said, "DeVore could be the winner from this, because he'll have locked up the conservatives."]

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/01/14/MN0D1BI9L9.DTL

Nathan Hale
01-19-2010, 07:06 AM
DeMint sent out an email a few days ago praising Campbell's entry into the race b/c he'll split Fiorina's vote.

MatM
01-21-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure if this is good for Chuck, but I'm not sure I dislike like Tom Campbell, I like the majority of what he says and he is more unabashedly libertarian, identifying himself as one.

This poll looks bad for Chuck:
http://www.field.com/fieldpollonline/subscribers/Rls2322.pdf
Campbell: 30%
Fiorina: 25%
DeVore: 6%

Their previous poll had Fiorina leading Chuck 21%-20%, but that poll was Sept. 18 - Oct. 6.

Nathan Hale
01-21-2010, 06:16 PM
DeMint must've been totally off the mark, because it looks like Campbell is killing DeVore. Let's hold off until we see a few more polls, this one could be a fluke.