PDA

View Full Version : OMFG Pat Robertson says Haiti earthquake blessing in disguise??

Dianne
01-13-2010, 10:36 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=385x422833

I can't even believe this... went to the democratic underground to see their news headlines and neocon Pat Robertson says the loss of life a blessing in disguise? WTF?

ramallamamama
01-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Didn't he blame 9/11 on the gays?

AmericaFyeah92
01-13-2010, 10:48 PM
lol, the Haitians made a deal with the devil, and Pat seems to know about it....

People who watch and believe this shit should be sterilized

Liberty Star
01-13-2010, 10:50 PM

I think he did.

Notorious Hagee of Texas had blamed Katrina on gays too. Incidentally, Houston recently elected an openly gay mayor.

Most of these pro violence, revenge extremists are crazy.

silverhandorder
01-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Not that I like the guy but did you guys listen to what he said?

ramallamamama
01-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Not that I like the guy but did you guys listen to what he said?

No. I tried watching the vid but my present connection is crappy and it was rebuffering every 5 seconds or so.

silverhandorder
01-13-2010, 11:04 PM
He said it might be a blessing in disguise because this may lead to a total rebuilding of the country. It's not like he said it is blessing in disguise because we not have less Haitians or something like that. Maybe not the best way to put it but it does not sound mean spirited at all.

To me at least.

ramallamamama
01-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Yep, the gays and a whole host of others.

YouTube - Falwell and Robertson on The 700 Club after 9/11 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-CAcdta_8I)

At least they weren't falling for the official story.

davesxj
01-13-2010, 11:09 PM
With their backwards religion of voodoo and zombies. That's just weird.

Dianne
01-13-2010, 11:16 PM
That video and interview all over the democrats website.... geeeeeeeeeeesh shit after seeing that, I don't know what to say... and he ran for republican nominee years ago? WTF... If that doesn't make the GOP look bad, nothing else will...

What a bastard. He has as much Christ in him as the fungus on my toenail. Pat Robbers (son)... go get a real job... I know a cushy, sweet job with your monthly rent paid for by the church is what most losers do... but just admit you're a loser and get the hell out of the GOP. Actually the destruction of you neocon losers in the GOP would be the true blessing in disguise, because maybe we could rebuild the party into an honest entitity. So let's pray the next major earth quake will fall on the GOP and peeps like Pat Robber (son) will die as a blessing in disguise.

BuddyRey
01-13-2010, 11:20 PM
That video and interview all over the democrats website.... geeeeeeeeeeesh shit after seeing that, I don't know what to say... and he ran for republican nominee years ago? WTF... If that doesn't make the GOP look bad, nothing else will...

What a bastard. He has as much Christ in him as the fungus on my toenail. Pat Robbers (son)... go get a real job... I know a cushy, sweet job with your monthly rent paid for by the church is what most losers do... but just admit you're a loser and get the hell out of the GOP. Actually the destruction of you neocon losers in the GOP would be the true blessing in disguise, because maybe we could rebuild the party into an honest entitity. So let's pray the next major earth quake will fall on the GOP and peeps like Pat Robber (son) will die as a blessing in disguise.

C'mon, Mom. Don't censor yourself. Tell us how you really feel! :D

jclay2
01-13-2010, 11:27 PM
50% of Haiti practices voodoo. I think he could be on to something. But who am I to know exactly why God let/made that happen. :confused:

NYgs23
01-14-2010, 12:44 AM
He said it might be a blessing in disguise because this may lead to a total rebuilding of the country.

That would simply mean he's an economic dunce. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window)

Pauls' Revere
01-14-2010, 02:19 AM
He said it might be a blessing in disguise because this may lead to a total rebuilding of the country. It's not like he said it is blessing in disguise because we not have less Haitians or something like that. Maybe not the best way to put it but it does not sound mean spirited at all.

To me at least.

Seems like a hard way to rebuild. I would think selective demolition and reconstruction would be much safer without the inconvienent loss of life. Gee Pat, must there be 300K or more dead before one can rebuild? So much for the pro life stance.

fatjohn
01-14-2010, 07:49 AM

Yeah believing in people to raise from the dead is weird right, you ain't gonna hear me argue about that :cool:

angelatc
01-14-2010, 07:50 AM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=385x422833

I can't even believe this... went to the democratic underground to see their news headlines and neocon Pat Robertson says the loss of life a blessing in disguise? WTF?

Yes, apparently Pat's off his meds again. And those holier than thou types call us crazy?

angelatc
01-14-2010, 07:53 AM

To me at least.

If nothing else. it's a crappy thing for a pro-lifer to feel, much less say.

angelatc
01-14-2010, 07:56 AM
50% of Haiti practices voodoo. I think he could be on to something. But who am I to know exactly why God let/made that happen. :confused:

You know nothing about Haiti? It is one of the only examples of slaves uprising and throwing their captors out. The slave owners were French Catholic, so it doesn't seem that weird at all to me that the Haitians would disdain all things Christian.

Kludge
01-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Thank God for earthquakes.

angelatc
01-14-2010, 07:59 AM
I wish one would hit Washington DC.

Mini-Me
01-14-2010, 08:28 AM
That would simply mean he's an economic dunce. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window)

Well, the broken window parable doesn't actually apply here, because it only applies to a closed system. Robertson is referring to outsiders (like Americans) rebuilding Haiti with their own wealth, and he's referring to benefits to Haiti's well-being (rather than everyone's). Any destruction in any country would obviously amount to a net economic loss for the world, because the world is a closed system. However, Haiti by itself is more like an open system, and that means post-destruction rebuilding could be a net positive for Haiti, if it siphons enough wealth from outside parties.

Dianne
01-14-2010, 08:51 AM
C'mon, Mom. Don't censor yourself. Tell us how you really feel! :D

LMAO... that was my glass of wine talking. This guy's a joke though... really.. I hope we can convince him to run for President on the democratic ticket in 2012.

jmdrake
01-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Yes. He also defended forced abortion in China.

See: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2001/aprilweb-only/4-16-32.0.html

He probably sees the eathquake as a "blessing" because it's killed off thousands of "undesirable people" just like China's forced abortion policy. Pat Robertson is the scum of the earth. I don't usually say who's going to hell, but Pat's got a first class ticket if he doesn't change his ways. The most disgusting thing is that he hides this all under a fake mantle of Christianity.

jmdrake
01-14-2010, 10:15 AM
You know nothing about Haiti? It is one of the only examples of slaves uprising and throwing their captors out. The slave owners were French Catholic, so it doesn't seem that weird at all to me that the Haitians would disdain all things Christian.

The overwhelming majority of Hatians are Catholic. Even those who practice voodoo are mostly Catholic. Those aren't mutually exclusive religions. Catholicism has a tendency to take on aspects of the local indigenous religion. The same is true for Cuba and Santaria.

That said, Pat Robertson engages in his own forum of spiritualism which isn't that far removed from voodoo.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_N92hT39h_aY/RqvnRBOz9_I/AAAAAAAAELk/lclRqrtBeAQ/S220/181105robertson2.jpg

jmdrake
01-14-2010, 10:15 AM
If nothing else. it's a crappy thing for a pro-lifer to feel, much less say.

Pat Robertson defending forced abortion in China. He's only politically pro-life.

TNforPaul45
01-14-2010, 10:51 AM
The only way that pat robertson would know that haiti had a pact with the devil is if their's interrupted HIS devilish pact.

Dreamofunity
01-14-2010, 01:04 PM

According to your own interpetation of his holy word, after Haiti made a pack with the devil to rid themselves of the French, is it God punishing them with hardtimes and earthquakes for accepting the deal, or the devil continuously punishing them for doing his deed?

Dianne
01-14-2010, 01:07 PM
The only way that pat robertson would know that haiti had a pact with the devil is if their's interrupted HIS devilish pact.

You got that right !!

Dianne
01-14-2010, 01:21 PM
As much as hate Olbermann... he ripped Robertson a new one... says Robertson more likely the devil, lmao.

YouTube - Keith Olbermann's Quick Comment about Haiti, Pat Robertson and Rush Limbaugh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-PEaWUduCM)

BlackTerrel
01-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Yes. He also defended forced abortion in China.

See: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2001/aprilweb-only/4-16-32.0.html

According to your link he said:

I don't agree with the forced abortion, but I don't think the United States needs to interfere with what they're doing internally in this regard.

So he basically said "I don't agree - but it is not the job of the US to get involved". Which I guess would be Ron Paul's stance as well - or does RP want us to force China to change their laws?

denison
01-14-2010, 07:52 PM

but worshipping a dead magical jew on a stick is better. get the f_ck outta here with that. :rolleyes:

denison
01-14-2010, 07:54 PM

thank god for sept 11, too? :D

angelatc
01-14-2010, 07:59 PM
The overwhelming majority of Hatians are Catholic. Even those who practice voodoo are mostly Catholic. Those aren't mutually exclusive religions. Catholicism has a tendency to take on aspects of the local indigenous religion. The same is true for Cuba and Santaria.

That said, Pat Robertson engages in his own forum of spiritualism which isn't that far removed from voodoo.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_N92hT39h_aY/RqvnRBOz9_I/AAAAAAAAELk/lclRqrtBeAQ/S220/181105robertson2.jpg

I am hardly an expert. My neighbor did some missionary work there and said the place is about 50% Christian now, but it's taken a couple of generations to get them there. It would make sense that the slaves may have been forced to adopt the religion of the masters though, now that you mention it.

kahless
01-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Not sure about the comments but they are involved in the relief effort. Has Olbermann done anything for Haiti?

I saw the video of the comments but can't find it now but if I remember correctly it looked like he said this during a fund raiser for Haiti. If I had to pick hell on earth Haiti would come to mind. Take your pick whether his comments are being over blown, politically incorrect or too soon but probably are what some people were thinking but would not say out loud. Despite the comments it looks like they are helping the relief effort and came out with a statement on the controversy.

http://www.cbn.com/about/pressrelease_patrobertson_haiti.aspx

On today’s The 700 Club, during a segment about the devastation, suffering and humanitarian effort that is needed in Haiti, Dr. Robertson also spoke about Haiti’s history. His comments were based on the widely-discussed 1791 slave rebellion led by Boukman Dutty at Bois Caiman, where the slaves allegedly made a famous pact with the devil in exchange for victory over the French. This history, combined with the horrible state of the country, has led countless scholars and religious figures over the centuries to believe the country is cursed. Dr. Robertson never stated that the earthquake was God’s wrath. If you watch the entire video segment, Dr. Robertson’s compassion for the people of Haiti is clear. He called for prayer for them. His humanitarian arm has been working to help thousands of people in Haiti over the last year, and they are currently launching a major relief and recovery effort to help the victims of this disaster. They have sent a shipment of millions of dollars worth of medications that is now in Haiti, and their disaster team leaders are expected to arrive tomorrow and begin operations to ease the suffering.

revolutionisnow
01-14-2010, 08:41 PM
but worshipping a dead magical jew on a stick is better. get the f_ck outta here with that. :rolleyes:

wow

AmericaFyeah92
01-14-2010, 08:45 PM
televangelists remind me of Sith Lords

kahless
01-14-2010, 08:49 PM
wow

That was pretty offensive. The religious intolerance displayed never ceases to amaze me and obviously no way to build a movement.

AmericaFyeah92
01-14-2010, 08:51 PM
That was pretty offensive. The religious intolerance displayed never ceases to amaze me and obviously no way to build a movement.

^I thought he was right on the money. A poster was pointing out how "weird" Voodoo was, including their belief in zombies, and Denison called out the obvious hypocrisy for a Christian to say that.

Kludge
01-14-2010, 08:54 PM
According to your own interpetation of his holy word, after Haiti made a pack with the devil to rid themselves of the French, is it God punishing them with hardtimes and earthquakes for accepting the deal, or the devil continuously punishing them for doing his deed?

Based on my over-valued inadequately-based opinion, man punishes himself through sin which disables him from attaining, eh... joy in the soul. With enough faith, though, you'll never have the problems most have with self-identity crises (some type of disillusionment of life, like I imagine atheist existentialists must often experience) with creates a psychological strength wherein you don't feel despair.

Freedom 4 all
01-14-2010, 09:00 PM
He's so utterly batfuck asscrackers insane he would be amusing if he didn't have legions of followers. Unless I'm grossly misunderstanding what he's saying he supports slavery now too. Also confusing is the fact that he didn't mention TEH GHEYZ, aren't they the ones who are always causing earthquakes and shit...

sofia
01-14-2010, 09:02 PM

the teachings of that dead magical Jew are sublime. If everyone followed them , the world would be a better place.

Thats the difference between Christianity (whether you believe in God or not)...and a shitty cult like voodoo

jmdrake
01-14-2010, 09:08 PM
I am hardly an expert. My neighbor did some missionary work there and said the place is about 50% Christian now, but it's taken a couple of generations to get them there. It would make sense that the slaves may have been forced to adopt the religion of the masters though, now that you mention it.

I guess it depends on the definition of "Christian". If "Christian" excludes people who also practice Voodoo then your friend is right. But then does Christian in America exclude people who read the horoscopes or call psychic hotlines?

From the CIA world factbook:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ha.html

Religions:
Field info displayed for all countries in alpha order.
Roman Catholic 80%, Protestant 16% (Baptist 10%, Pentecostal 4%, Adventist 1%, other 1%), none 1%, other 3%
note: roughly half of the population practices voodoo

kahless
01-14-2010, 09:10 PM
^I thought he was right on the money. A poster was pointing out how "weird" Voodoo was, including their belief in zombies, and Denison called out the obvious hypocrisy for a Christian to say that.

I respect peoples right to disagree with Christian beliefs but disagree with the offensive manner in which it was done. There is a better way to get your point across without risking driving people away from these forums and the movement.

kahless
01-14-2010, 09:26 PM
He's so utterly batfuck asscrackers insane he would be amusing if he didn't have legions of followers. Unless I'm grossly misunderstanding what he's saying he supports slavery now too. Also confusing is the fact that he didn't mention TEH GHEYZ, aren't they the ones who are always causing earthquakes and shit...

I am not an expert on the guy and do not know anything about his organization so maybe I should shutup. But what I have read is he is part of a relief effort that already gave millions of dollars worth of medications that is now in Haiti. So it is so easy for us to sit here and jump on the bandwagon and bash the guy but what have you, I or anyone here done that compares to that.

In my opinion unless they have something more on this guy then there are likely worse people to be going after, thus not a worthy news story and doing more harm the good.

jmdrake
01-14-2010, 09:30 PM
I am not an expert on the guy and do know anything about his organization so maybe I should shutup. But what I have read is he is part of a relief effort that already gave millions of dollars worth of medications that is now in Haiti. So it is so easy for us to sit here and jump on the bandwagon and bash the guy but what have you, I or anyone here done that compares to that.

In my opinion unless they have something more on this guy then there are likely worse people to be going after, thus not a worthy news story and doing more harm the good.

You're talking about Pat Robertson? Pat's scum. Plain and simple. He defended FORCED ABORTION in China! And if he's given millions you can best believe he's already skimmed of at least that much to line his own pockets. There are better charities to give through.

BlackTerrel
01-14-2010, 11:07 PM

I've said it before but the percentage of atheists on this board is much higher than that of the general population (at least it appears to be so). Insulting Christianity is not only offensive but dumb - why you would want to associate Dr. Paul with such a message is questionable.

SovereignMN
01-14-2010, 11:10 PM
You're talking about Pat Robertson? Pat's scum. Plain and simple. He defended FORCED ABORTION in China! And if he's given millions you can best believe he's already skimmed of at least that much to line his own pockets. There are better charities to give through.

Plus he endorsed Rudy! :eek:

Dianne
01-14-2010, 11:37 PM

I tend to agree. Pat probably collected millions to donate there, but whether or not it made it there; I have my doubts. No one could be so humanitarian that they send millions to a country, then when there is a natural disaster that kills upwards of a million people (possibly), states this might be a blessing in disguise because they can now rebuild their country. I saw a woman who lost all four of her children... three during the quake and one afterwards. Does she think this is a blessing in disguise?

As much as I hate KO, I have to stand with him on this one. Robertson is a fool, and probably a crook like most that he has followed in the footsteps of. No truly religious person would ever make the comments he did, regarding a natural disaster.

And wasn't he who said Katrina was punishment for having so many gays in New Orleans?

revolutionisnow
01-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Selling religion sure is profitable

"Robertson's net worth is between $200 million and $1 billion dollars"

http://www.dkosopedia.com/wiki/Pat_Robertson

kahless
01-15-2010, 12:33 AM
I remember that Rudy endorsement really pissed me off. What ever the story is with him, being insulting to Christians and displaying a video by that fascist Kieth Olbermann is not the answer.

21st Century Republican
01-15-2010, 04:40 AM
It's time for this guy to call it quits. Actually, he should have never gotten started to begin with. This is the sect of the Republican party that I cringe at the most.

fatjohn
01-16-2010, 08:55 AM

Uhu but I think I was a bit more carefull with that.

Yeah believing in people to raise from the dead is weird right, you ain't gonna hear me argue about that :cool:

And now I can point out that I was first to point that out :)
And now I was also first for pointing that out :cool:

fatjohn
01-16-2010, 09:01 AM
I've said it before but the percentage of atheists on this board is much higher than that of the general population (at least it appears to be so). Insulting Christianity is not only offensive but dumb - why you would want to associate Dr. Paul with such a message is questionable.

Look don't get me wrong putting it harshly isn't going to solve it. But the comment that started it all was insulting voodoo practicianors as much as his did with christians. So are you aknowledging that due to the fact that christians are more significant on this forum their religion should not be mocked while others can? Because I did not read any comment of you defending the freedom to practicion voodoo without being mocked.

And about the percentage. This forum knows there is big shit right ahead, believing in a divine spirit guiding us around it is harder to do then.

speciallyblend
01-16-2010, 09:30 AM
this is not news, this is normal. this guy does this crap all the time! i am from va beach. pat robertson is the most ungodly person on earth and he seems good at brainwashing his following!!!! this is like saying the sun is rising and setting ,nothing new to see here move along!!! usual right winger bs...

ramallamamama
01-19-2010, 12:22 AM
PAT ROBERTSON VOODOO DOLL! Proceeds Go To Haiti relief

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190365539998&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

dannno
01-19-2010, 12:30 AM
PAT ROBERTSON VOODOO DOLL! Proceeds Go To Haiti relief

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190365539998&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

$1,200?!?

Dude, come on humanity, how hard is it to make a fucking Pat Robertson Voodoo doll and compete with this guy??

ScoutsHonor
01-19-2010, 12:35 AM
I'll take one!! ~waving~ :D

BlackTerrel
02-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Add this to the list of causes for the earthquake

Robertson and 1000 Rabbis: Gay people

Danny Glover: Global warming

Chavez: US weapon

We need a scientist to explain earthquakes to these people.

http://www.christiannewswire.com/news/9630112926.html

MEDIA ADVISORY, Feb. 2 /Christian Newswire/ -- Rabbi Yehuda Levin, spokesman for the Rabbinical Alliance of America issued the following statement:

"When Americans are suffering economically and millions need jobs, it's shocking that the Administration is focused on its ultra-liberal militantly homosexualist agenda forcing the highlighting of homosexuals and homosexuality on an unwilling military. This is the equivalent of the spiritual rape of our military to satisfy the most extreme and selfish cadre of President Obama's kooky coalition.
We agree with Eileen Donnelly of the Center for Military Readiness that this will hurt the cohesiveness of the military, cause many to leave the army, and dramatically lower the number of recruits, perhaps leading to the reinstatement of a compulsory draft.

"Thirteen months before 9/11, on the day New York City passed homosexual domestic partnership regulations, I joined a group of Rabbis at a City Hall prayer service, pleading with G-d not to visit disaster on the city of N.Y. We have seen the underground earthquake, tsunami, Katrina, and now Haiti. All this is in sync with a two thousand year old teaching in the Talmud that the practice of homosexuality is a spiritual cause of earthquakes. Once a disaster is unleashed, innocents are also victims just like in Chernobyl.

"We plead with saner heads in Congress and the Pentagon to stop sodomization of our military and our society. Enough is enough."

MelissaWV
02-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Another thread resurrected...

Seriously. No one sees this trend but me?