PDA

View Full Version : LOL at my Sister's History Homework!!!

BuddyRey
01-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Every time I try to help my kid sister with her history or social studies homework, I'm completely taken aback and dumbfounded by how politically *loaded* some of this material is. One essay question asked something to the effect of, "why did the American people turn against the Robber Barons (WTF?!?!) at the end of the Gilded Age?"

The last thing I want is to get my sister in trouble with her teachers, but my honest and immediate answer was, "because politicians saw that they could increase their legislative power by exploiting working class outrage."

Let's hope her teacher is either very forgiving, has a good sense of humor, or actually understands economics. :D

RSLudlum
01-13-2010, 09:23 PM
I go through the same with my daughter. With something like the Robber Barons, I'd start out by having her define the Robber Barons and ask her what is the difference between one rich man and another; are all rich men evil? Compare and contrast James J. Hill and Thomas Durant. Farmers constantly confronted Durant's land-clearers on gov't taken land.

It takes a 'delicate' balance in assignments like these. If she is allowed to use outside sources then go all out. If she is restricted to what is in the texts assigned or classroom lectures then use the info there but ask her if she noticed any inconsistancies in the required source material and to point them out in her essay.

Chester Copperpot
01-13-2010, 09:32 PM
i have this same problem with my former goddaughters older sister.. shes like 16 now and they discuss a thing like Marbury v. Madison without really explaining to the students what the case was even about... or even why Napoleon sold us the Louisiana purchase

Dieseler
01-13-2010, 09:35 PM
High School is like a bad compilation of cliff's notes these days.
Forget the homework if the printer is out of ink.

silverhandorder
01-13-2010, 09:41 PM
I got my gf very interested in history and ideas of liberty. She now can't stop arguing with her teachers. She is a high school senior.

Dianne
01-13-2010, 10:13 PM
I have a daughter with the most gifted voice, who could be on Broadway tomorrow and cast in every play, anywhere in our area that is failing in her basic school courses. In-fact, I just walked in her room and she was crying because she just doesn't get stuff she is being taught. I basically told her to F*** what she is being taught and to stop crying. Focus on her talent and go for it !!!! This is not a country of robots, and you might be able to do this... I can't ... but I can do this and you can't. How many kids are crying tonight because they can't sing like she does?

We are not robots... we are each gifted in our own way. The educational system absolutely sucks !!!!

BuddyRey
01-13-2010, 10:19 PM
I have a daughter with the most gifted voice, who could be on Broadway tomorrow and cast in every play, anywhere in our area that is failing in her basic school courses. In-fact, I just walked in her room and she was crying because she just doesn't get stuff she is being taught. I basically told her to F*** what she is being taught and to stop crying. Focus on her talent and go for it !!!! This is not a country of robots, and you might be able to do this... I can't ... but I can do this and you can't. How many kids are crying tonight because they can't sing like she does?

We are not robots... we are each gifted in our own way. The educational system absolutely sucks !!!!

So true!!!

TCE
01-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Question 1: "Explain how Abraham Lincoln is considered by academics to be one of the greatest Presidents of our time."

Question 2: "Explain how the South caused the Civil War."

I could keep going, but I might shed a tear.

Chester Copperpot
01-13-2010, 10:55 PM
I can top you all.. Sophomore College Prep History... Test...

Subject?

On a map write in the name of the States.

I am not kidding.

10th grade college prep history had this as their test... being able to write in the names of states on a map of the usa..

coyote_sprit
01-13-2010, 11:07 PM
I've got two history books, one from eighth grade and one from sixth. I'll look through them.

PaleoPaul
01-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Jeebus Crikey...that's for a FIFTEEN YEAR OLD?! Write in the names of the states?!

I was learning about Constitutional law and about the writings of the Framers at 13!!! And I was reading The Iliad at 12!!!

RSLudlum
01-13-2010, 11:33 PM

Subject?

I am not kidding.

10th grade college prep history had this as their test... being able to write in the names of states on a map of the usa..

WTF? I had to do that in the 3rd grade along with a timed multiplication/division table test. I remember clearly because the test was taken with a couple of other classes in the lunchroom.

PaleoPaul
01-13-2010, 11:34 PM
WTF? I had to do that in the 3rd grade along with a timed multiplication/division table test. I remember clearly because the test was taken with a couple of other classes in the lunchroom.
I bet the test for the Freshmen is to name the continents of the world. :D

Dreamofunity
01-13-2010, 11:54 PM
I can't wait to have kids and indoctrinate them into liberty. Well, I can wait, but when I do have some, those fuckers are going to crap liberty.

MichelleHeart
01-13-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm thinking about homeschooling my children. :D

coyote_sprit
01-14-2010, 12:02 AM

Did the kids who passed get to have banana splits?

RSLudlum
01-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Did the kids who passed get to have banana splits?

:eek:
You're pretty damn close. Afterwords, we all had ice cream cups with those funny wooden spoon/spade things. :D

james1906
01-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Question 1: "Explain how Abraham Lincoln is considered by academics to be one of the greatest Presidents of our time."

Question 2: "Explain how the South caused the Civil War."

I could keep going, but I might shed a tear.

1. The hat
2. Not respecting the hat.

coyote_sprit
01-14-2010, 12:27 AM
:eek:
You're pretty damn close. Afterwords, we all had ice cream cups with those funny wooden spoon/spade things. :D

Oh, we had banana splits.

Chester Copperpot
01-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Jeebus Crikey...that's for a FIFTEEN YEAR OLD?! Write in the names of the states?!

I was learning about Constitutional law and about the writings of the Framers at 13!!! And I was reading The Iliad at 12!!!

Yeah and when I first heard about this I went to the internet and printed off a couple of blank USA maps (figured Id include the 11 year old on this as well)..

well the 15 year old got about 4 states right...So of course I made them study not just THAT but also the state capitals... well eventually the test came and she passed and she got some extra credit for knowing a few capitals as well..

yeah to me this is like 5th grade stuff..

specsaregood
01-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Subject?
I am not kidding.

And you probably think there are just 50. Not so, according to the US government. And I'm not joking, its redefined in the Homeland Security Act of 2002.

Chester Copperpot
01-14-2010, 12:38 AM
And you probably think there are just 50. Not so, according to the US government. And I'm not joking, its redefined in the Homeland Security Act of 2002.

you got a link for that my friend? Id like to see more about whatever craziness the govt is up to now on this

specsaregood
01-14-2010, 12:45 AM
you got a link for that my friend? Id like to see more about whatever craziness the govt is up to now on this

http://fl1.findlaw.com/news.findlaw.com/nytimes/docs/terrorism/hsa2002.pdf
paragraph (15) of section 2 of the Homeland Security Act of 2002(6 U.S.C. 101(15));

(14) The term ‘‘State’’ means any State of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Common wealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and any possession of the United States.

Btw, any of those newly defined states' chief executives are explicitly eligible to be appointed to Obama's new "board of governors".

Uriel999
01-14-2010, 12:59 AM
http://fl1.findlaw.com/news.findlaw.com/nytimes/docs/terrorism/hsa2002.pdf
paragraph (15) of section 2 of the Homeland Security Act of 2002(6 U.S.C. 101(15));

Btw, any of those newly defined states' chief executives are explicitly eligible to be appointed to Obama's new "board of governors".

So does that mean Iraq, Afghanistan and any other country that we have bases in are states in the USA?

specsaregood
01-14-2010, 01:01 AM
So does that mean Iraq, Afghanistan and any other country that we have bases in are states in the USA?

Dunno, you should ask Obama. Everybody thought he was stupid or made a mistake when he said our 57 states....turns out he was correct.

Uriel999
01-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Dunno, you should ask Obama. Everybody thought he was stupid or made a mistake when he said our 57 states....turns out he was correct.

I was about to write "lol" but it just isn't actually very funny. :( :mad:

specsaregood
01-14-2010, 01:19 AM
I was about to write "lol" but it just isn't actually very funny. :( :mad:

I dunno, I think its funny. Either way it gives you an idea of the mindset Obama is coming from. He was getting his interpretation of "states" from the homeland security act, not from the commonly understood definition of the term. I find that quite revealing.