PDA

View Full Version : RP #41 most influential conservative

erowe1
01-13-2010, 12:34 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6975594/The-most-influential-US-conservatives-60-41.html

I know there were other threads about this list. I'm not sure if they've been updated with today's 41-60 group, which includes RP at 41. So, rather than hunt for them, here it is.

41. RON PAUL (96 on the 2007 list) Ron Paul: most influential conservatives

Congressman for Texas

A sensation of the 2008 Republican primary, the unlikely libertarian rock star is finding his anti-tax, anti-Wall Street, anti-interventionist arguments gaining traction in Congress as the recession continues. His bill to audit the Federal Reserve, which had been subjected to ritual defeat for years, passed the committee stage in the House with 331 co-sponsors. His rage against spending on the war in Afghanistan has made him a strange bedfellow with Democratic Left-wingers.

Online activist networking and small sum fund-raising was crucial to his respectable showing in the primaries though his votes never came near matching the enthusiasm of his supporters, who were dominated by earnest slacker types.

Now 74, the former gynaecologist has represented Texas for most of the past 30 years, and spent much of it arguing against the power of Washington. He refused to support John McCain’s candidacy, instead launching a new organisation, the Campaign for Liberty, down the road from the Republican national convention in St Paul, Minnesota.

Bruno
01-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Should have been much higher, I'm sure we would all agree, but the bright side is he moved up more than 50 positions, and the many people he is ahead of.

georgiaboy
01-13-2010, 12:40 PM
cool.
I heard some of the names on this list - Olympia Snowe? - and I just wonder who really takes it seriously.

dr. hfn
01-13-2010, 12:42 PM
im glad he moved up so much, but i wish he was higher...

erowe1
01-13-2010, 12:43 PM
cool.
I heard some of the names on this list - Olympia Snowe? - and I just wonder who really takes it seriously.

Yeah, I know. John Voight at #60? Huh?

speciallyblend
01-13-2010, 12:43 PM
#1 in my book;)

Cowlesy
01-13-2010, 12:45 PM
I'll take it!

erowe1
01-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Here are 33 people I expect to appear in the top 40, listed here in no particular order:

Glenn Beck
Roger Ailes
Rush Limbaugh
Mitt Romney
Michael Steele
John Roberts
Mitch McConnell
Sean Hannity
Dick Cheney
Ann Coulter
Mike Pence
John Boehner
Eric Cantor
Antonin Scalia
John Cornyn
Newt Gingrich
Sarah Palin
Chris Chocola (current head of Club for Growth)
Mike Huckabee
Bobby Jindal
Tim Pawlenty
Mitch Daniels
Haley Barbour
Bill O'Reilly
John McCain
Rudy Giuliani
Matt Drudge
Laura Ingraham
George W. Bush
Mark Levin
David Frum
Joe Lieberman
Robert Gates

I feel like my list is too light on major neoconservatives. But I'm not sure whom to include. I saw they already had Bill Kristol, IIRC. Maybe David Horowitz should be in here.

hugolp
01-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Can anyone explain what "earnest slacker types" mean?

Slutter McGee
01-13-2010, 01:15 PM
cool.

They use broad criterea for their definition of conservative. I have no problem with it as they do the same thing on the liberal side.

Slutter McGee

John Q. Revere
01-13-2010, 01:21 PM
They use broad criterea for their definition of conservative. I have no problem with it as they do the same thing on the liberal side.

Slutter McGee

Exactly, conservative WHAT? Most of those listed I'd consider top 50 conservative CROOKS. What are we "conserving" anyways? If it's the current status quo, and I'm against it, doesn't that make me un-conservative by definition?

erowe1
01-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Exactly, conservative WHAT? Most of those listed I'd consider top 50 conservative CROOKS. What are we "conserving" anyways? If it's the current status quo, and I'm against it, doesn't that make me un-conservative by definition?

Yeah, I'm sure most people here would agree that the labels conservative and liberal are not especially good ones.

Knightskye
01-13-2010, 02:46 PM
his supporters, who were dominated by earnest slacker types.

Lol. Earnest slackers. That's about right.

BlackTerrel
01-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Better than I thought it would be. Worse than he deserves.

Slutter McGee
01-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Yeah, I'm sure most people here would agree that the labels conservative and liberal are not especially good ones.

Of course they are not accurate. But there list is pretty fucking simple. Man claims to represent the right - conservative. Man claims to represent the left - liberal.

I am not saying I agree with it, just that its really not something to worked up over.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-14-2010, 01:33 AM

They were transposed in the late 19th Century and early 20th Century. We are, in the strictest sense of the word liberals, and those we call liberals are actually conservatives.

ronpaulhawaii
01-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Can anyone explain what "earnest slacker types" mean?

It means we gotta a lot of people who mean well, but are ineffective... Sadly, it means we would be further along if more people got more involved... ;)

Bman
01-14-2010, 02:05 AM
It means we gotta a lot of people who mean well, but are ineffective... Sadly, it means we would be further along if more people got more involved... ;)

Yup. Making youtube videos and coming to forums to speak ideology and philosophy are items at the end of the day that may be fun and get a few young people to actually show up at a voting machine, but hardly an action that will get us far at all.

To all who have not done a damn thing besides watch videos, donate a few bucks and post forum topics...

To put it blunt. If you come here and are not locally helping someone from your district/state or running yourself if no such person exists you are wasting your time and this movements time.

We have the power and the numbers to sweep any election we are in and yet it doesn't happen why? Becasue donating money and making videos is not enough. Everyone needs to get off their ass and get active, and if you don't agree with someone 100% run yourself for goodness sake.

I see so much hope, so much potential and am greatly disturbed that enough people aren't getting off their asses and are just resorting to becoming apathetic or trying to find one item that makes them want to cry out foul at a liberty candidate. It's time some of you grow a spine get off your ass and make this country a better place.

Natalie
01-14-2010, 02:09 AM
#41? psh. He's #1 to me :)

erowe1
01-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Just for the sake of my own self indulgence, I'm checking the results against my prediction. Names in bold appeared in the 21-40 group. Of the remaining 22, I think it's safe to say that Chris Chocola won't make the top 20. At least one, and probably more, of the rest won't make it, but I'm not sure which.

Edit: Oops. I see Coulter already came in at #74, O'Reilly at #85, and Rudy Giliani at #59. I'm underlining them and Chocola. So that leaves 18 here for my prediction of the top 20. I'm fairly confident all 18 will be there.

Here are 33 people I expect to appear in the top 40, listed here in no particular order:

Glenn Beck
Roger Ailes
Rush Limbaugh
Mitt Romney
Michael Steele
John Roberts
Mitch McConnell
Sean Hannity
Dick Cheney
Ann Coulter
Mike Pence
John Boehner
Eric Cantor
Antonin Scalia
John Cornyn
Newt Gingrich
Sarah Palin
Mike Huckabee
Bobby Jindal
Tim Pawlenty
Mitch Daniels
Haley Barbour
Bill O'Reilly
John McCain
Rudy Giuliani
Matt Drudge
Laura Ingraham
George W. Bush
Mark Levin
David Frum
Joe Lieberman
Robert Gates

I feel like my list is too light on major neoconservatives. But I'm not sure whom to include. I saw they already had Bill Kristol, IIRC. Maybe David Horowitz should be in here.

Epic
01-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Frum and Lieberman are leftists.

The Deacon
01-14-2010, 12:14 PM
At least they put Bernanke in the leftist list.

hugolp
01-14-2010, 05:24 PM

Thanks.

HOLLYWOOD
01-14-2010, 05:41 PM
By Toby Harnden, US Editor for telegraph.co.uk has been watching too much SKY NEWS (UK FOX subsidiary) Plenty of mistakes in the 40-21 list.

41. RON PAUL (96 on the 2007 list)

Congressman for Texas

A sensation of the 2008 Republican primary, the unlikely libertarian rock star is finding his anti-tax, anti-Wall Street, anti-interventionist arguments gaining traction in Congress as the recession continues. His bill to audit the Federal Reserve, which had been subjected to ritual defeat for years, passed the committee stage in the House with 331 co-sponsors. His rage against spending on the war in Afghanistan has made him a strange bedfellow with Democratic Left-wingers.

Online activist networking and small sum fund-raising was crucial to his respectable showing in the primaries though his votes never came near matching the enthusiasm of his supporters, who were dominated by earnest slacker types.

Now 74, the former gynaecologist has represented Texas for most of the past 30 years, and spent much of it arguing against the power of Washington. He refused to support John McCain’s candidacy, instead launching a new organization, the Campaign for Liberty, down the road from the Republican national convention in St Paul, Minnesota.

21. Andrew Breitbart (did not feature on the 2007 list)

22. Bobby Jindal (61 on the 2007 list)

23. Sean Hannity (44)

24. Charles Krauthammer (77)

25. David Brooks (67)

26. Mark Levin (31)

27. Mitch McConnell (-)

28. Laura Ingraham (15)

29. Joe Lieberman (47)

30. Antonin Scalia (62)

31. John Boehner (-)

32. Karl Rove (42)

33. David Frum (40)

34. Michael Steele (-)

35. Edwin Feulner (41)

36. John Bolton (13)

37. Tom Coburn (43)

38. Rich Lowry (53)

39. Mitch Daniels (-)

40. John Thune (-)

erowe1
01-15-2010, 12:59 PM
The top twenty came out today. Below is my list of 33 I thought would be in the top 40 with those I had accidentally missed from 41-100 underlined, those who appeared in 21-40 bold, and those who appeared 21-40 italicized.

Glenn Beck
Roger Ailes
Rush Limbaugh
Mitt Romney
Michael Steele
John Roberts
Mitch McConnell
Sean Hannity
Dick Cheney
Ann Coulter
Mike Pence
John Boehner
Eric Cantor
Antonin Scalia
John Cornyn
Newt Gingrich
Sarah Palin
Mike Huckabee
Bobby Jindal
Tim Pawlenty
Mitch Daniels
Haley Barbour
Bill O'Reilly
John McCain
Rudy Giuliani
Matt Drudge
Laura Ingraham
George W. Bush
Mark Levin
David Frum
Joe Lieberman
Robert Gates

Others in the top 20 were David Petraeus, Paul Ryan, and Bob McDonnell.

paulitics
01-15-2010, 01:26 PM
I think Lord Monckton should be included as one of the most influential conservative in American politics for the year 2009.

yokna7
01-15-2010, 01:55 PM
The Top 20 conservatives on that list are the "Ronpaulforums.com wall of shame". :)Embarrassing.

itshappening
01-15-2010, 02:25 PM
#1 is Dick Cheney hahaha, '#1 in 07 was Rudy.

are they trying to get Cheney ready for a 2012 run?

dr. hfn
01-15-2010, 04:09 PM
WTF! Dick Cheney?! lol

Bruno
01-15-2010, 04:14 PM
WTF! Dick Cheney?! lol

Didn't you know? Although he was mostly absent, silent, and not shooting anyone for most of 2009, he somehow was a HUGE influence on American conservatism. :rolleyes: