PDA

View Full Version : They're Shutting Debra Medina Out AGAIN!!!!!

IPSecure
01-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Submitted by sista4liberty (http://www.dailypaul.com/user/28391) on Wed, 01/13/2010 - 10:04am est

This time it's Belo Corp. A 2nd Gubernatorial debate has been scheduled for Jan 29th, and they claim that Ms Medina hasn't met their 'criteria'. I'm getting sick and tired of this crap!

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/121424 (http://www.dailypaul.com/node/121424)

Link (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/011210dnpolgovdebate.6fe8c807.html?ocp=3#slcgm_com ments_anchor)

CharlesTX
01-13-2010, 09:31 AM
WTF is the "Criteria"?

LibertyEagle
01-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Belo Corp. Headquarters

Street Address:
400 South Record Street
Dallas, Texas 75202-4841
214-977-6606
214-977-6603 (fax)

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 655237
Dallas, Texas 75265-5237

LibertyEagle
01-13-2010, 09:45 AM
http://www.kvue.com/news/KVUE-to-co-host-GOP-debate-Perry-Hutchison-face-off-Jan-29-81268267.html

MRoCkEd
01-13-2010, 09:49 AM
WTF is the "Criteria"?
- Must be an establishment drone

rp4prez
01-13-2010, 09:59 AM
WTF is the "Criteria"?

That's what I'm wondering.. those bastards!

tpreitzel
01-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Thankfully, she's still in tomorrow's debate on Jan. 14th. Yeah, can we really expect anything different from a commercial sponsor? Most of the sponsors for the 14th debate are competitive local media. Apparently, the principal sponsor for the 29th debate is the Belo corporation. Follow the money, honey. Who's behind the Belo corporation?

LibertyEagle
01-13-2010, 10:20 AM
WTF is the "Criteria"?

I'm trying to find that out. I'm being given the royal runaround.

The rest of you call and try to find out too.

I'm thinking we need to picket every one of these sons a bitches.

LibertyEagle
01-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Thankfully, she's still in tomorrow's debate on Jan. 14th. Yeah, can we really expect anything different from a commercial sponsor? Most of the sponsors for the 14th debate are competitive local media. Apparently, the principal sponsor for the 29th debate is the Belo corporation. Follow the money, honey. Who's behind the Belo corporation?

Yes. Because BELO's is the one on local stations and will be the one that people WILL SEE. This is very important.

LibertyEagle
01-13-2010, 12:13 PM
I've been on the phone all morning. This is what I was sent by an Executive News Director in Austin. A very nice man who was quite helpful:

Thank you for taking the time to write us concerning the upcoming Texas Gubernatorial debate.

The selection process for inviting candidates to participate in debates on WFAA and other Belo Corp. television stations is based largely on materials from the Federal Communications Commission and other authorities.

The criteria for participation includes whether a candidate: receives significant levels of public support in independent public opinion polls, e.g.15 percent, which is the minimum used by the Commission on Presidential Debates; has received substantial campaign contributions from varied sources; has previously held significant public office(s); has received a substantial level of votes in prior elections for the same or comparable office(s); will be reported by news agencies in election night returns; and, has received significant news coverage from a wide range of media outlets.

The FCC and other bodies grant stations the right to exercise good faith news judgment in determining which candidates are invited to participate in televised debates, and to use reasonable news judgment in reaching such decisions, with the intent to neither promote a candidate nor create a disadvantage for a candidate.

We are grateful that you would take the time to write and share your comments.

So basically, so much for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, because Mr. Smith would not be allowed in the debates!

This name kept cropping up repeatedly and he is a real piece of work. I spoke to him.
Michael Valentine (Executive News Director, WFAA (Dallas))
Phone: 214-748-9631
It sounds like Mr. Valentine is largely running the show on this debate.

Nathan Hale
01-13-2010, 01:24 PM
A good response to this is to write a lot of LTEs to every daily paper you can find.

devil21
01-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Guess we gotta round up the posse again. Spread it around just like we did for tomorrow's debate! They're not going to just give up so neither should we.

Does anybody have an email address to start spreading?

DjLoTi
01-13-2010, 07:49 PM
I wrote a letter to the reporter and she replied back. Here is her letter to me
Nicholas,

Thanks for your thoughtful note. I just wanted to point out that the Dallas Morning News did a front page news story on Medina and her campaign just this week. Here's the link: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/politics/state/stories/011110dntexmedina.3f4d9e5.html

I note that the Austin American Statesman also did a profile of her two weeks ago. We have blogged and included Medina in numerous stories. For someone who hasn't raised much money, who's never run for a state office before (grant you, Wharton County GOP chairman is important, but it's not a major office), I think this newspaper has done a responsible job of covering her.

Many of her supporters believe we should treat her equally to the two biggest Republicans in Texas, who have won statewide elective office numerous times, whose decisions effect virtually every one of us, who are national figures and have raised millions from thousands of people. I'm not sure that is realistic.

Powers much greater than me have decided that Medina -- or any candidate -- should be at 15 percent in the polls, done well in previous runs for office, raised substantial campaign cash or met other set criteria to be included in a debate. I have reported that fact.

And as a reporter I will continue to report on Medina, her viewpoints and whatever she does to make news.

Again, thanks for taking the time to write.

DjLoTi
01-13-2010, 07:51 PM
I basically said I thought the real story was how 10% of Texans were being ignored ;)

Of course, me being a Texan, it's easy for me to do that ;)

Flash
01-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Wasn't there a debate tonight? How did it go?

LibertyEagle
01-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Wasn't there a debate tonight? How did it go?

It's tomorrow night.

kathy88
01-14-2010, 05:43 AM
So if you aren't a lifetime politician you're out? How many people can we gather up to picket that debate if they do not include her after we go ballistic on them?

constituent
01-14-2010, 08:17 AM
So if you aren't a lifetime politician you're out? How many people can we gather up to picket that debate if they do not include her after we go ballistic on them?

"We?"

Why "we," when "wasn't me" tends to work so much better? ;)

Surely you've learned this lesson by now.

rp4prez
01-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Couple of things.

First, why the FCC rules? We are the fucking state of Texas governor race NOT a fucking federal race!

Second, who writes the rules for the FCC? Might be interesting to find that out. I would put money that the Reps and Dems wrote the rules.

Pissed as hell over here cause I was Debra to be included in the local station damnit!

constituent
01-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Couple of things.

First, why the FCC rules? We are the fucking state of Texas governor race NOT a fucking federal race!

Second, who writes the rules for the FCC? Might be interesting to find that out. I would put money that the Reps and Dems wrote the rules.

Pissed as hell over here cause I was Debra to be included in the local station damnit!

Your best route is to hold your fire until after the debate. Hope for a stellar performance, and then capitalize on that as your justification for why she needs to be involved in the future.

Hope she drops a couple of big lines, and then run with it from there.

rp4prez
01-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Your best route is to hold your fire until after the debate. Hope for a stellar performance, and then capitalize on that as your justification for why she needs to be involved in the future.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping too. I was planning on watching it tonight but my plans changed! BOO!! Hopefully that her website will put it online somewhere.

Kotin
01-14-2010, 05:12 PM

thats what I am looking for..

if she can breakout tonight and call these crooks out.. she could have a slight chance.. but if she just does well.. we are most likely fucked.

LibertyEagle
01-14-2010, 05:15 PM
I can't imagine the butterflies that must be in her stomach right now.

Truly, David vs. Goliath.

BuddyRey
01-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Well, if tonight wasn't enough of a "breakout performance" for Debra, I don't know what is. She was incredible! :D

Kotin
01-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Well, if tonight wasn't enough of a "breakout performance" for Debra, I don't know what is. She was incredible! :D

no kidding.. I donated on the spot and am re-energized for this race..

LibertyEagle
01-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I'm hearing the theme to Rocky playing in the background. lol.

Ron_Paul_Knows
01-14-2010, 10:46 PM
I can't imagine the butterflies that must be in her stomach right now.

Truly, David vs. Goliath.

Yeah, she had so much pressure on her tonite with all she had to go thru just to get in this debate and also knowing that it might be her last debate if she did not do well, all in front of a national audience. Well she was totally composed up there! She's definitely got skillz.

thasre
01-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Well if Debra loses the governor's race there's always the 2012 presidential election.

(And I'm only half-kidding about that... tell me she doesn't have "Tea Party Dream Candidate" written all over her...)

Slutter McGee
01-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Even a loss isn't going to bad. Her name recognition is going shoot through the roof if she keeps this up, which will open up lots of other doors.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

devil21
01-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Anybody know if the debate video is archived anywhere? I'd love to see how she handled herself.

BuddyRey
01-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Anybody know if the debate video is archived anywhere? I'd love to see how she handled herself.

http://www.texasdebates.org/

ForLiberty-RonPaul
01-15-2010, 01:13 AM
youtube links for debate

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=226672

* KBH has $12 million, Perry has $11.6 million, Medina has $245,000.

rp4prez
01-15-2010, 07:42 AM
I caught it on a rebroadcast last night and she totally blew them out of the water! It's no wonder they don't want her in the debates. They are truly scared!!! :D Now to get her in the next debate. :)

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-15-2010, 07:48 AM
I caught it on a rebroadcast last night and she totally blew them out of the water! It's no wonder they don't want her in the debates. They are truly scared!!! :D Now to get her in the next debate. :)

Of course. Imagine the publicity and support that would have flocked to libertarian ideals, if Harry Browne and Michael Badnarik had the opportunity to debate on stage with the D's and the R's. They won't allow it, just like they did their damndest to stop Ron Paul and look at the libertarian explosion. Likewise, Debra is fucking rocking and you see what happens (Same with Ron Paul). New Media ftw.

Now, let's put the pressure on BELO.

rp4prez
01-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Of course. Imagine the publicity and support that would have flocked to libertarian ideals, if Harry Browne and Michael Badnarik had the opportunity to debate on stage with the D's and the R's. They won't allow it, just like they did their damndest to stop Ron Paul and look at the libertarian explosion. Likewise, Debra is fucking rocking and you see what happens (Same with Ron Paul). New Media ftw.

Now, let's put the pressure on BELO.

No crap that Medina fucking rocked!! I've already contacted BELO and let them know that Medina should be in their debate! ;)

itshappening
01-15-2010, 08:28 AM
I cant believe it please complain to everyone

AdamT
01-15-2010, 08:36 AM
So what's the current status of this? Is Medina getting into the next debate? If not we need emails and phone numbers to absolutely barrage these people old school style.

Report.

ForLiberty-RonPaul
01-15-2010, 06:32 PM
bump

Kotin
01-15-2010, 06:44 PM
So what's the current status of this? Is Medina getting into the next debate? If not we need emails and phone numbers to absolutely barrage these people old school style.

Report.

+1!!

ForLiberty-RonPaul
01-15-2010, 06:48 PM
+1!!

I believe she is still not invited. She was on Alex Jones today and they mentioned how the Dallas News articles didn't even mention Medina.

Keep raising hell!

LibertyEagle
01-15-2010, 07:21 PM

Report.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=226719

Also, Michael Valentine (Executive News Director, WFAA) 214-748-9631

We also need to be contacting BELO's advertisers. Various people trying to compile now.

itshappening
01-15-2010, 07:38 PM
start a facebook group and get this out to a wider audience