PDA

View Full Version : California state legislature to vote on legalizing marijuana

Elwar
01-12-2010, 11:11 AM
The first step to legalize marijuana in California could happen Tuesday.

Lawmakers will vote on Assembly Bill 390 -- legislation to tax and regulate marijuana. The assembly's Public Safety Committee is expected to vote after a hearing that begins at 9 a.m. hearing in Sacramento.

The bill, authored by San Francisco Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, would essentially treat pot the same way alcohol is treated under the law and would allow adults over 21 to possess, smoke and grow marijuana.

Cont...

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/politics/Planting-the-Seed-for-Legal-Pot-81222877.html

Elwar
01-12-2010, 11:22 AM
More from the bill:

It would ban local and state assistance in enforcing inconsistent federal and
other laws relating to marijuana, and would provide specified
infraction penalties for violations of these new marijuana laws and
regulations, as specified.

HOLLYWOOD
01-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Here's the LIVE FEED from the Safety Committee debating Marijuana from California state Capital:

http://www.calchannel.com/channel/live/4

Some NEOCON is spewing bad stats

dannno
01-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Grow is the key word there. Good stuff.

dannno
01-12-2010, 11:37 AM
The first step to legalize marijuana in California could happen Tuesday.

Are they really voting TODAY?!!!? The article is dated today.. and today IS Tuesday...

Elwar
01-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Are they voting TODAY?!!!?

They're voting to bring it out of committee today.

HOLLYWOOD
01-12-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't know... but that reverend doesn't have a clue and exploits wrong information and wrong justifications

YumYum
01-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Isn't legalizing marijuana on a state level actually encouraging people to violate the federal law? This would create a mutually exclusive condition. I think this is a ploy by the state to force the federal government to give California more money.

Elwar
01-12-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't know... but that reverend doesn't have a clue and exploits wrong information and wrong justifications

I agree...he's talking about how bad it is for the youth in his community (which would still not be able to legally use marijuana).

He says that so many are dying...something tells me that they aren't dying from smoking pot. And the drug gangs will most likely be losing some of their profits to the legal establishments.

dannno
Isn't legalizing marijuana on a state level actually encouraging people to violate the federal law? This would create a mutually exclusive condition. I think this is a ploy by the state to force the federal government to give California more money.

What is Mr. 'I inhaled a lot, that was the point' Obama going to do about it??

How does CA get more money? If anything they will probably lose Federal Funding for highways or drug enforcement or something.

HOLLYWOOD
The Reverend is talking ECSTASY he was a crack cocaine user for 7 years... I don't hear him talking about Alcohol?

Man he is out there...

Okayy here' TYRANNY Time... the POLICE STATE speaks: Betcha he's for pushing Police enforcement and justify THEIR EXISTENCE

Marijuana is a carcinogen...

$19.5 Billion on Abuse expenses...

There we go... SAFETY and CRIME is caused by Marijuana

dannno
01-12-2010, 11:43 AM
He says that so many are dying...something tells me that they aren't dying from smoking pot. And the drug gangs will most likely be losing some of their profits to the legal establishments.

Isn't he making the point that prohibition is causing them to die via gang activity? That's a valid argument.

Elwar
01-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Isn't he making the point that prohibition is causing them to die via gang activity? That's a valid argument.

No, he was against the legalization law.

dannno
01-12-2010, 11:47 AM
No, he was against the legalization law.

Oh.

Well I'm listening to the stream now.

There's a bunch of fascist police chiefs opposing the bill.

HOLLYWOOD
01-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Look at who's AGAINST this BILL... It's the ENFORCEMENT STATE

All the Police, Attorney Generals, Sheriff big money orgs...

I guess this bill will put the POLICE state OUT OF BUSINESS... or at least cut their FUNDING

IT's ALWAYS ABOUT MONEY... they know Layoffs and Budget Cuts will come if this bill passes

Elwar
01-12-2010, 11:50 AM
A bunch of police forces going up and opposing the bill.

They might actually have to do some work instead of doing the easy job of busting pot smokers.

dannno
01-12-2010, 11:51 AM
^ I would love to see them get a big FU

Elwar
01-12-2010, 11:52 AM
I like this quote.

"Drug dealers do not ask for ID."

HOLLYWOOD
01-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Tom Ammiano has some good points...

Imagine the costs that would be reduce? Incarcenation of pot smokers, the fines, the budget costs of AG, Sherriff, and Police State.

They would Save BILLIONS

DAMN: The Failed Criminalization policies... that guy is dead on!

dannno
01-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Wow, they just mentioned regulating "potency"

I wish he would have educated them about the increase in potency making the substance less dangerous and fewer negative health effects.

If anything it should be regulated to be more potent, not that I'm supporting regulation..

Elwar
01-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Berkely lady's rationale is that they need to pass it so that they can change the law more easily so that the voter approved initiative won't need to go through which wouldn't be able to be changed.

HOLLYWOOD
The Wind Bag assembly person from Berkley is a kook.

That's 2 supporting the bill! Next... up

dannno
OMG.. this lady is saying the fees are not sufficient..

$50 / OUNCE!!!!!

That's $800/pound!! Can you imagine if the govt. was proposing fees on tomatoes for $800/lb?!

HOLLYWOOD
01-12-2010, 12:03 PM
For those just joining in...

Here's the LIVE FEED from the Safety CommitteeVOTING on Marijuana Legislation from California state Capital:

http://www.calchannel.com/channel/live/4

YumYum
01-12-2010, 12:05 PM
What is Mr. 'I inhaled a lot, that was the point' Obama going to do about it??

How does CA get more money? If anything they will probably lose Federal Funding for highways or drug enforcement or something.

Since California has been lax on pot laws and talking about legalization, the Feds have been cracking down on growers and dealers like crazy. If pot is legal in California, this will create a bigger problem for the federal government because they will then have to secure all the borders of California, which would cost a fortune. If they don't secure the borders, California will become the major source of weed, not Mexico, which will burden the federal system. If this law passes there will be a backlash; harsher federal penalties for users/dealers/growers.

The federal government may bargin with California and say "Hey, you don't pass this bill and we will give you more money to help us fight drugs."

Elwar
01-12-2010, 12:05 PM
3 for 2 against so far

HOLLYWOOD
01-12-2010, 12:06 PM
That Danny D, Gilmore... ex CHP retiree...

What a moron... what about the Alcohol Education in the schools today and on the airwaves?

Elwar
01-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Bill is out of committee.

armstrong
01-12-2010, 12:11 PM
bills out

HOLLYWOOD
01-12-2010, 12:13 PM
WOW

Now it will get vicous by the special interest groups lobbying the masses in the near future

This will be another prop 8 type of parity.

dannno
01-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Since California has been lax on pot laws and talking about legalization, the Feds have been cracking down on growers and dealers like crazy. If pot is legal in California, this will create a bigger problem for the federal government because they will then have to secure all the borders of California, which would cost a fortune. If they don't secure the borders, California will become the major source of weed, not Mexico, which will burden the federal system. If this law passes there will be a backlash; harsher federal penalties for users/dealers/growers.

The federal government may bargin with California and say "Hey, you don't pass this bill and we will give you more money to help us fight drugs."

Hmm well I guess we'll see how it plays out.

HOLLYWOOD
01-12-2010, 12:33 PM

A funny thought... instead of those ROADWAY CHECK TERMINALS at the borders for perishable foods: Produce, Fruits/Vegetables, now it will be POT/Marijuana checks with FEDERAL Law Enforcement DEA/FBI/DHS/ jackboots but both IN/OUT of the state of California.

yokna7
01-12-2010, 12:50 PM
I was misinformed. I thought it was to decriminalize not legalize. I'm for legalization, but the compromise should be at lease decriminalization. Cali cant afford any more prisoners. lol

Danke
01-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Grow is the key word there. Good stuff.

Might have to get the Patrick Swayze train for neighboring states.

YouTube - Trailer Park Boys Season 7 Episode 10 (1/3) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c0MuZ6_p5I&feature=related)

squarepusher
01-12-2010, 01:18 PM

no, its a ploy to generate billions in tax revenues and saves billions in jail costs

dannno
01-12-2010, 01:20 PM
no, its a ploy to generate billions in tax revenues and saves billions in jail costs

A "ploy" to allow legitimate businesses to profit from cannabis sales rather than the foreign cartels and to stop arresting adults who grow and use the substance responsibly??

Ya it's not a perfect bill, but it's certainly better than what we have now.

squarepusher
01-12-2010, 01:25 PM
breaking email

A historic victory in California today
Tue, January 12, 2010 11:09:54 AM
Marijuana Policy Project <rob@mpp.org>
Add to Contacts
To: @yahoo.com
Marijuana Policy Project
Marijuana Policy Project Alert January 12, 2010
Drop Shadow

Dear sir:

Today marked a significant milestone for marijuana policy reform: In California, legislation that would remove penalties for adult marijuana use was approved by a major committee in the state legislature.

This is the first time in U.S. history that a bill to tax and regulate marijuana ever made it to a state legislative committee, and it passed with a majority of the vote!

After hearing testimony from advocates — including MPP's California policy director Aaron Smith — the Assembly Public Safety Committee voted 4-3 in support of A.B. 390, the landmark legislation authored by Assemblymember Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco).

Unfortunately, legislative rules and deadlines are preventing the bill from progressing further, but the groundbreaking success in the Public Safety Committee is a signal that we're making big strides. For the first time, state lawmakers were forced to seriously consider replacing marijuana prohibition with legal regulation -- and they said yes.

California has a reputation for leading the nation in bold policy changes, and we've only seen the beginning of marijuana policy reform there.

We'll continue to work toward ending the war on responsible marijuana users in California and elsewhere, but we need your help. Would you please donate today so that we can continue to tear down marijuana prohibition in California and across the nation?

Thank you,

null

Rob Kampia
Executive Director
Marijuana Policy Project
Washington, D.C.

P.S. You can opt out of the fundraising mentions in the e-mail alerts I send you in 2010 by visiting http://www.mpp.org/optoutpreferences at your convenience.

P.P.S. I hope to see you at MPP's 15th anniversary gala in D.C. on Wednesday. We have a lot to celebrate!

Elwar
01-12-2010, 01:31 PM
They did mention that it has to also go infront of the health committee...I wonder what the chances are of passing there. And then the full assembly and then a senate vote.

I would actually prefer it if the voters decriminalize it. Then the only people who can then tamper with the law would be the voters.

Alawn
01-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Unfortunately, legislative rules and deadlines are preventing the bill from progressing further, but the groundbreaking success in the Public Safety Committee is a signal that we're making big strides.

So the bill wont get a chance to pass?

squarepusher
01-12-2010, 03:21 PM
So the bill wont get a chance to pass?

It will, today was a big success from the way I understood it. Also, preliminary voter polls shows that a majority are in favor of it, so I do believe it could get 50% to pass if needed.

Bruno
01-12-2010, 03:34 PM
They got the year wrong on marijuana prohibition - 1937, not 1913.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/politics/Planting-the-Seed-for-Legal-Pot-81222877.html

The first step to legalize marijuana in California is on a roll.

Lawmakers on Tuesday approved Assembly Bill 390 -- legislation to tax and regulate marijuana. The Assembly's Public Safety Committee voted 4-3 on bill at a hearing in Sacramento. The bill will now be passed to the full Assembly on Friday for consideration.

The bill, authored by San Francisco Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, would essentially treat pot the same way alcohol is treated under the law and would allow adults over 21 to possess, smoke and grow marijuana.

The law would also call for a fee of $50 per ounce sold and would help fund drug eradication and awareness programs. It could help pull California out of debt, supporters say, raising up to $990 million from the fees.

Among the supporters of legalizing marijuana is a group of police, judges and prosecutors who formed a group called Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. The organization firmly believes that legalizing marijuana for adults will help improve American society by restricting youth access to it and taking the attraction away from cartels that traffic pot as an illegal substance.

"The mere fact that there will be votes in the Assembly to regulate and control the sale and distribution of marijuana would have been unthinkable even one year ago." Retired Orange County California Supreme Court Judge Jim Gray said via a statement from the group. "And if the bill doesn't pass this year, it will soon. Or, the bill will be irrelevant because the voters will have passed the measure to regulate and tax marijuana that will be on the ballot this November."

Gray testified before the assembly's informational hearing in October 2009 and defined the group's position about why they are for overturning the prohibition on marijuana.

This is the first time in U.S. history any state legislative body has ever considered repealing marijuana prohibition, which has been in place since 1913.