PDA

View Full Version : [VIDEO] Barry Goldwater on the role of conservatism Firing Line w/ William F. Buckley

purplechoe
01-12-2010, 02:56 AM
YouTube - Barry Goldwater on the role of conservatism - Firing Line with William F. Buckley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfg4N5A-ydQ)

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-12-2010, 03:20 AM
Actually Barry, the greatest progress in human history were by Liberals and Anarchists (Celtic Ireland, etc.). Yes, they were your Jean-Baptiste Say's, Patrick Henrys, John Locke's, Carl Menger's, and Thomas Jefferson's.

purplechoe
01-12-2010, 03:24 AM
Actually Barry, the greatest progress in human history were by Liberals and Anarchists (Celtic Ireland, etc.). Yes, they were your Jean-Baptiste Say's, Patrick Henrys, John Locke's, Carl Menger's, and Thomas Jefferson's.

I think that by that time the therm "conservatism" has meant the keeping of the old traditions. Therefore he's trying the "conserve" the founding fathers libertarian principals?

...edited to add, at least domestically?

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-12-2010, 03:29 AM
I think that by that time the therm "conservatism" has meant the keeping of the old traditions. Therefore he's trying the "conserve" the founding fathers libertarian principals?

If so, then Conservatives would be radical in nature. Today we are so far from the notion of the libertarian foundation of this country that only a radical nature will return to the Presidency of Thomas Jefferson. Goldwater was no where near that radical, and he was pretty radical for his time. Ron Paul is much closer, but not even radical enough. In fact, there is no one radical enough to return us to our foundation (No standing armies, no tax except a small duty, no regulation, allowance of homesteading, etc.). You see, conservative, does mean conserve, and that is exactly what is going on. They (98%) aren't there to reform anything, to repeal anything, they are only there to "try" and stop further tyrannical pipelines. When was the last time a conservative actually reduced Washington? Shit, I don't think Washington has been reduced in at least 120 years.

purplechoe
01-12-2010, 03:40 AM
Shit, I don't think Washington has been reduced in at least 120 years.

I hear that during the small depression of the 20's as Ron says the government actually cut taxes and in 1945, one of the reasons the great depression ended.

Two steps forward, one step back, etc., etc.. and then we tango... towards the cliff.

http://starphoenixbase.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/coyote-06.jpg

LibertyEagle
01-12-2010, 05:17 AM

Classical liberals, yes. "Liberals" or anarchists, not so much.

...edited to add, at least domestically?
Yup.