PDA

View Full Version : How influential is Ron Paul?

itshappening
01-11-2010, 05:19 PM
The Telegraph newspaper is ranking the top 100 'conservatives' in the US.

Every day this week they will list 20 more people (going back to 1)

In 2007 Ron Paul ranked 96 and Guilani ranked #1 :eek:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6950971/The-most-influential-US-conservatives-100-81.html

Ron ought to be higher this year as he is not in the bottom 20 at least...

Dieseler
01-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Ron doesn't say 911 enough.

catdd
01-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Ron doesn't say 911 enough.

And he doesn't sing bomb bomb bomb iran enough.

Dieseler
01-11-2010, 05:35 PM
And he doesn't sing bomb bomb bomb iran enough.

And he doesn't pray like the Publicans do.

BlackTerrel
01-11-2010, 05:43 PM
I've only heard of about half of those people,

catdd
01-11-2010, 05:58 PM
And he doesn't pray like the Publicans do.

And he doesn't have a little Israeli flag in his office.

Dieseler
01-11-2010, 06:40 PM
And he doesn't have a little Israeli flag in his office.

Nope, can't find Ron here either.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&q=Presidential+Candidates+at+the+Wailing+Wall&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=18

catdd
01-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Nope, can't find Ron here either.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&q=Presidential+Candidates+at+the+Wailing+Wall&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=18

I suppose Julie-ani could teach him how to cross dress, that always helps.

YouTube - Rudy Giuliani in Drag Smooching Donald Trump (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IrE6FMpai8)

Dianne
01-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Can anyone really take that seriously?

itshappening
01-12-2010, 10:36 AM
so he's more influential than f**k you frank

johnrocks
01-12-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm hoping for at least a top 10 finish so I can rub salt in a few wounds elsewhere,lol.

GunnyFreedom
01-12-2010, 11:16 AM
yup. next 20 released (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6967325/The-most-influential-US-conservatives-80-61.html), and still no Ron. 8-)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6967325/The-most-influential-US-conservatives-80-61.html

tonesforjonesbones
01-12-2010, 11:19 AM
I am sure Ron Paul prays...he IS a Christian. He freely admits that. Why do you folks want to keep making him an athiest???? tones

GunnyFreedom
01-12-2010, 11:36 AM
I am sure Ron Paul prays...he IS a Christian. He freely admits that. Why do you folks want to keep making him an athiest???? tones

o O

I took it as a mostly uninformed play on the following:

Main Entry: pub·li·can
Pronunciation: \ˈpə-bli-kən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin publicanus tax farmer, from publicum public revenue, from neuter of publicus
Date: 13th century
1 a : a Jewish tax collector for the ancient Romans b : a collector of taxes or tribute
2 chiefly British : the licensee of a public house

publicans. (2010). In Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.
Retrieved January 12, 2010, from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/publicans

Luke 18:10-14 (King James Version)

[10] Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. [11] The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. [12] I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

[13] And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

[14] I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

I'd bet my last nickel that nobody here in this thread was trying to say that Ron Paul doesn't pray, or was trying to turn him into an atheist.

ETA - Indeed, from a biblically informed perspective, "praying like a publican" is actually what you want. But I took the comment in the spirit it was offered rather than for the fact that it was inaccurate.

Slutter McGee
01-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Its nice to see Flake and Demint on that list. Poor Flake gets ignored around here. lol

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

dr. hfn
01-12-2010, 12:07 PM
he wont be on the list lol!

wgadget
01-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Considering they put Olympia Snowe higher up than Ann Coulter, there might be a chance for Ron to rate pretty high this year.

Epic
01-12-2010, 01:56 PM
quasi-libertarians Dick Armey, Tucker Carlson, and Jeff Flake are in the 61-80 list.

erowe1
01-12-2010, 01:59 PM

They didn't say that he doesn't pray. They said that he doesn't pray like the publicans.

In other words, he doesn't hypocritically show off his piety to impress people.

erowe1
01-12-2010, 02:01 PM
I predict that Ron Paul will come in right around #20, give or take a few.

The Deacon
01-12-2010, 02:05 PM
I'd imagine Ron Paul and Andrew Napolitano will be fairly high up on the list.

Lew Rockwell (very popular websites, moreso than most neoconservative outlets) and Tom Woods would be justified on the list, but I doubt they'll make it.

Anyone else in our movement deserving to be in the top 60?

GunnyFreedom
01-12-2010, 02:15 PM
They didn't say that he doesn't pray. They said that he doesn't pray like the publicans.

In other words, he doesn't hypocritically show off his piety to impress people.

(except in the parable, it was the Pharisee who was praying to show off to other people, and the publican who was doing it right ;) )

But I understood what was meant -- a play on the bible verse conjoined with a play on the word Republicans. Tones didn't get it, but I did.

erowe1
01-12-2010, 02:28 PM
(except in the parable, it was the Pharisee who was praying to show off to other people, and the publican who was doing it right ;) )

But I understood what was meant -- a play on the bible verse conjoined with a play on the word Republicans. Tones didn't get it, but I did.

Good point.

itshappening
01-13-2010, 07:20 AM
41. RON PAUL (96 on the 2007 list) Ron Paul: most influential conservatives

Congressman for Texas

A sensation of the 2008 Republican primary, the unlikely libertarian rock star is finding his anti-tax, anti-Wall Street, anti-interventionist arguments gaining traction in Congress as the recession continues. His bill to audit the Federal Reserve, which had been subjected to ritual defeat for years, passed the committee stage in the House with 331 co-sponsors. His rage against spending on the war in Afghanistan has made him a strange bedfellow with Democratic Left-wingers.

Online activist networking and small sum fund-raising was crucial to his respectable showing in the primaries though his votes never came near matching the enthusiasm of his supporters, who were dominated by earnest slacker types.

Now 74, the former gynaecologist has represented Texas for most of the past 30 years, and spent much of it arguing against the power of Washington. He refused to support John McCain’s candidacy, instead launching a new organisation, the Campaign for Liberty, down the road from the Republican national convention in St Paul, Minnesota.