PDA

View Full Version : Struggling economy puts Ron Paul's views in spotlight

bobbyw24
01-11-2010, 06:30 AM
WASHINGTON — For three decades, Texas congressman and former presidential candidate Ron Paul's extreme brand of libertarian economics consigned him to the far fringes, even among conservatives. More than a few times, his views put him on the losing end of 434-1 votes on Capitol Hill. No longer.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2010/01/09/2010754101.jpg
Special to The Seattle Times

JEFF GENTNER / AP

Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, unsuccessfully ran for president, but his anti-Fed message has drawn support because of the central bank's failure to restrain the flood of cheap money.

WASHINGTON — For three decades, Texas congressman and former presidential candidate Ron Paul's extreme brand of libertarian economics consigned him to the far fringes, even among conservatives. More than a few times, his views put him on the losing end of 434-1 votes on Capitol Hill.

No longer. With the economy still struggling and political divisions deepening, Paul's ideas are gaining a wider audience and are helping to shape a potentially historic battle over economic policy, a struggle that will affect everything including jobs, growth and the nation's place in the global economy.

Paul's long-derided proposal to give Congress supervisory power over the traditionally independent Federal Reserve appears to be on its way to becoming law. His warnings on deficits and inflation are Republican mantras.

And, with this year's congressional election campaign looming, the Texas congressman's deep-seated distrust of activist government has helped fuel protests such as the tea-party movement, harden partisan divisions in Washington, D.C., and stoke public fears about federal spending and the deficit.

"People are wondering what went wrong. And they're not happy with what the government is offering up," said James Grant, editor of Grant's Interest Rate Observer, offering an explanation for why seemingly wonkish arguments over interest-rate policy and the money supply are spilling into the lives of ordinary Americans.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2010753882_paul10.html

hugolp
01-11-2010, 06:44 AM
For three decades, Texas congressman and former presidential candidate Ron Paul's extreme brand of libertarian economics consigned him to the far fringes, even among conservatives. More than a few times, his views put him on the losing end of 434-1 votes on Capitol Hill.

Extreme! Fringe! Extreme! Fringe! Remember, Ron Paul is weird!!!!

Paul's long-derided proposal to give Congress supervisory power over the traditionally independent Federal Reserve appears to be on its way to becoming law. His warnings on deficits and inflation are Republican mantras.

False. Ron Paul bill does not give congress power over the control of the monopoly on money. The Federal Reserve keeps having that power. With the bill Congress and anyone will be able to know what they are doing. This lie that the article asumes as true is exactly the lie that the Fed is using to challenge the bill.

This article is bullshit.

bobbyw24
01-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Extreme! Fringe! Extreme! Fringe! Remember, Ron Paul is weird!!!!

False. Ron Paul bill does not give congress power over the control of the monopoly on money. The Federal Reserve keeps having that power. With the bill Congress and anyone will be able to know what they are doing. This lie that the article asumes as true is exactly the lie that the Fed is using to challenge the bill.

This article is bullshit.

I do like the title though--acknowledging that Ron Paul's ideas need to be followed and should have been followed in the past

hugolp
01-11-2010, 07:11 AM
I do like the title though--acknowledging that Ron Paul's ideas need to be followed and should have been followed in the past

Yes, I know, and I apreciate you bringing all tipes of articles, its good to know what they are saying, but this article screams damage control all over it.

bobbyw24
01-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Yes, I know, and I apreciate you bringing all tipes of articles, its good to know what they are saying, but this article screams damage control all over it.

I know, but many here used to complain about the media ignoring Ron Paul. These pieces show that the media can no longer ignore the Good Doctor or his message. We are winning.

And the people we need to convert to our message are smart enough to know that the media is biased against the Middle Americans

kathy88
01-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Morning guys. Nice article Bobby, as usual. Hugo your points are dead on.