PDA

View Full Version : Japans working poor living in capsules

Mike4Freedom
01-10-2010, 12:43 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2010/01/07/lah.japan.capsule.motel.cnn

This sucks about the over inflated Real Estate market in Japan. I can see some uses for this here though.

Why don't they make these here for people on Section 8 housing. If you don't want to have a job and live off of the state, you get a nice capsule you can live in.

This should get people off of that Dole real quick.

libertarian4321
01-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Those are pretty cool. I'd like to see some of those open up in the USA. They'd be perfect for travelers who are on long driving trips and just need a place to crash for a few hours and don't want to have to pay for a full sized (and full cost) hotel room.

MelissaWV
01-10-2010, 12:54 PM

This sucks about the over inflated Real Estate market in Japan. I can see some uses for this here though.

Why don't they make these here for people on Section 8 housing. If you don't want to have a job and live off of the state, you get a nice capsule you can live in.

I like these, but I hope they have a shared kitchen in addition to a shared bathroom area. If these people are having to eat out every meal, the money's going to go even faster.

emazur
01-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Tokyo doesn't deserve the reputation for most expensive city. First of all, forget these goddamn capsule hotels, you can stay in half size rooms w/ fridge and desk for $15 to $20 a night in the northern part of central Tokyo. Secondly, you don't need a car - you can go anywhere by bicycle for free, or pay a modest fee and ride the train/subway. Third, b/c the city is so compact, it's easy to do comparison shopping and buy things on the cheap once you know where to go. Also, Japan income tax is also much easier to swallow than US income tax.

libertarian4321
01-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Tokyo doesn't deserve the reputation for most expensive city. First of all, forget these goddamn capsule hotels, you can stay in half size rooms w/ fridge and desk for $15 to $20 a night in the northern part of central Tokyo. Secondly, you don't need a car - you can go anywhere by bicycle for free, or pay a modest fee and ride the train/subway. Third, b/c the city is so compact, it's easy to do comparison shopping and buy things on the cheap once you know where to go. Also, Japan income tax is also much easier to swallow than US income tax.

How much are the capsules per night?

revolutionisnow
01-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Looks a lot better than living in a tent city

Dreamofunity
01-10-2010, 02:29 PM
We talked about this in my anthropology class, nice to actually see what they look like.

speciallyblend
01-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Those are pretty cool. I'd like to see some of those open up in the USA. They'd be perfect for travelers who are on long driving trips and just need a place to crash for a few hours and don't want to have to pay for a full sized (and full cost) hotel room.

ssssshhhhhhh, i work at a hotel, if you need a deal that bad. i will rent you the boiler room,slightly larger then capsule,considered vip to tokyo standards;) snickers:) penthouse sweet;)

Daamien
01-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Those remind me of the sleeping quarters onboard Air Fhloston in the movie The Fifth Element.

emazur
01-10-2010, 03:06 PM
How much are the capsules per night?

I never stayed in one but remember seeing the ads and thinking how outrageously expensive they were for what you get. The CNN article states:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/01/07/japan.capsule.home/index.html

Most importantly, it's cheap. The capsules cost about $30 a night. If he had to stay for a month, it would cost $700 to $1000, a housing bargain in Tokyo, ranked by Mercer as the world's most expensive city.
I did a quick google search for another capsule hotel in Akihabara (Tokyo's electronic gadget town) and they were charging 4,000yen/night
http://www.capsuleinn.com/
which at current exchange rates (I believe the US is at a 14 year low against the yen) is $43/night. Totally not worth it - those half size rooms I was talking about earlier are less than 20 mins away by bicycle.
Another option for cheap lodging that some people choose is the internet cafe - I've never stayed in one though.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-10-2010, 03:31 PM
I think I would prefer to live in a capsule

ChaosControl
01-10-2010, 04:55 PM
I saw these before as what sometimes businessmen who worked a ton would use.

I more or less live in my bedroom anyway, I don't think I'd have significant trouble getting used to one of those as long as there is some shared kitchen area somewhere.

devil21
01-10-2010, 06:10 PM
I saw these before as what sometimes businessmen who worked a ton would use.

I more or less live in my bedroom anyway, I don't think I'd have significant trouble getting used to one of those as long as there is some shared kitchen area somewhere.

Getting used to it is probably a good idea since we're heading the direction of Japan's stagnant economy anyway. That video is probably a good "real world" view of the next stage of what our country will become, at least in the urban areas. Inflation makes housing unaffordable while jobs are fewer and pay less and less. I'm reading a lot more commentary lately that's drawing close parallels between the Japan and the US economically. The gov't confiscating retirement savings to fund the gov't debt is just another step in that direction.

jclay2
01-10-2010, 06:46 PM
My sugesstion to these working poor would be to leave and go where there is more open land (aka) lower cost of living. This would probably solve their predicament for the most part no? I know that if someone from the working poor were to settle in my hometown in illinois two hours south of chicago, they would be able to build tremendously more wealth than if they were working in the suburbs of chicago.

tangent4ronpaul
01-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Shipping Container Homes - the US equivalent:

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/daily_green_news/8/twelve-amazing-shipping-container-houses.html

http://designcrave.com/2009-06-22/10-brilliant-boxy-and-sustainable-shipping-container-homes/

http://designcrave.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/12-container-house.jpg

-t

RyanRSheets
01-10-2010, 07:30 PM

I know a few homeless people who would be absolutely thrilled to get out of the cold and sleep in one of these capsules. It's very tragic that we waste so much money trying to make life luxurious for those participating in Section 8, because we could obviously do something like this for a fraction of the cost and actually take care of everyone. This would deter depravity while ensuring that people don't freeze to death. This could probably even be funded completely by charity.

phill4paul
01-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Luxury compared to what I slept in on the USS Midway. Would rather my tax dollars go to this type of abode than to multi-bedroom section 8 housing.

Brooklyn Red Leg
01-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Shipping Container Homes - the US equivalent:

http://designcrave.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/12-container-house.jpg

-t

Sort of a modern take on the post-WWII Quonset Hut homes that once dotted the American landscape. Not a bad idea, necessarily, especially for places like Florida that can get whacked by hurricanes. Sure as hell sturdier than a wooden frame house (which brings with it a whole host of problems: fire, termites etc). If land wasn't so godawful pricey (even now) you could set yourself up on 10 acres with a steel home and be okay.

brandon
01-10-2010, 08:24 PM
It would be awesome to have capsule hotels in America. There have been plenty of times I've been out drinking downtown and end up having to drive 40 minutes to get home at 2AM. If I could get a capsule for $20 or so I would do that every time instead of driving.

Kotin
01-10-2010, 08:38 PM
It would be awesome to have capsule hotels in America. There have been plenty of times I've been out drinking downtown and end up having to drive 40 minutes to get home at 2AM. If I could get a capsule for $20 or so I would do that every time instead of driving.

I agree.. I will be in Japan in February and I have made up my mind to check one of these out.

krazy kaju
01-10-2010, 10:23 PM

Ever heard of a hostel?

BlackTerrel
01-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Interesting... good idea.

RM918
01-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Those are actually not that bad. I thought there wouldn't even be any room to sit up in, but there's plenty.

Original_Intent
01-10-2010, 10:41 PM
The way our economy is going it might not be a bad idea to build some of these here. You could build something like that with ~100 units, have community shower, bath, and laundry room, you could charge $100/month + utilities and do pretty well.

kathy88
01-11-2010, 05:11 AM
The way our economy is going it might not be a bad idea to build some of these here. You could build something like that with ~100 units, have community shower, bath, and laundry room, you could charge $100/month + utilities and do pretty well.

They are $700-$1000 a month in Japan. Wow.

Elwar
01-11-2010, 10:51 AM
When I considered my dreams of owning a bar I thought about having something like this behind the bar where people could crash at night. They'd drink more at the bar and there would be no worry of DUIs.

Though it'd have to be easily cleaned for the puke and have a solid door to keep out predators.

MelissaWV
01-11-2010, 11:03 AM
When I considered my dreams of owning a bar I thought about having something like this behind the bar where people could crash at night. They'd drink more at the bar and there would be no worry of DUIs.

Though it'd have to be easily cleaned for the puke and have a solid door to keep out predators.

The insurance concerns relating to this would be epic.

From a liability standpoint, in addition to the cleanliness issue you already noticed, there would be the issue of potential injury/death. People resting on their backs shortly after becoming very intoxicated and choking on their own vomit... I'm sure that's probably pretty bad for business. It will be worse if they can blame the ergonomic qualities of the living space/bed.

Still, I like the idea a great deal.

Met Income
01-11-2010, 11:05 AM
The insurance concerns relating to this would be epic.

From a liability standpoint, in addition to the cleanliness issue you already noticed, there would be the issue of potential injury/death. People resting on their backs shortly after becoming very intoxicated and choking on their own vomit... I'm sure that's probably pretty bad for business. It will be worse if they can blame the ergonomic qualities of the living space/bed.

Still, I like the idea a great deal.

At first glance, I'd imagine there'd be a waiver clause in the contract. However, I believe intoxicated people cannot sign enforceable contracts? (At least according to US law.)

Maybe the business would have the customer come in when they are sober and sign all future liability away in the event of accidental death?

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
01-11-2010, 12:57 PM

As someone who has seen the burden of the Almighty, I don't depend on the state or my family. Yet, I would live in one of these capsules. So, to answer your question, I think the government is following the money in not allowing the capsules. Namely from the lobbies of those businesses involved in real estate.