PDA

View Full Version : Easy ways to cut taxes

james1906
01-10-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm starting work as a tax preparer on the weekends so I pay off a few bills I have. I've been learning the ridiculous tax code and it seems like there just some no brainers out there that can be deductible. This stuff should be easy to get through Congress.

1. Medical expenses are only deductible after they exceed 7.5% of your income. Why don't they start from the first penny?

2. Non prescription medicines don't count. Make them deductible.

3. Count veterinary care. Dems don't want to look like they hate animals and Repubs can pass an easy tax break.

Anyone else have ideas?

Mike4Freedom
01-10-2010, 12:08 PM
They are actually talking about a deduction for pet care of up to $3500. They should just pass laws making everything you pay money for tax deductable.

kathy88
01-10-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm starting work as a tax preparer on the weekends so I pay off a few bills I have. I've been learning the ridiculous tax code and it seems like there just some no brainers out there that can be deductible. This stuff should be easy to get through Congress.

1. Medical expenses are only deductible after they exceed 7.5% of your income. Why don't they start from the first penny?

2. Non prescription medicines don't count. Make them deductible.

3. Count veterinary care. Dems don't want to look like they hate animals and Repubs can pass an easy tax break.

Anyone else have ideas?

I'm with you on the 7.5% thing. WHY? But few people realize there are other related expenses you can claim. Mileage to and from appointments, etc. is deductible. Unfortunately one of my children requires quite a few long distance trips per year for medical reasons, and I ALWAYS make the 7.5%. Copays alone almost break me.