PDA

View Full Version : McCain/Lieberman 2012? It Could Happen

bobbyw24
01-10-2010, 07:51 AM
What a friggin nightmare that would be

Over the course of the race for 2008, I often quipped that I was “waiting for Perot” with regard to the dearth of a meaningful third party candidate in the race. The pun, of course, referenced the play, “Waiting for Godot,” which involved two characters waiting in vain for a third character (Godot) who never manages to show up. The Perot of 2008, I suggested, would fill the vacuum in a race between Bush Republicanism and a standard issue Democratic ticket by providing voters with a small-government, anti-war alternative. Had Ron Paul decided to run third party in 2008, he probably would have filled that void, though in the end, the market for a third party candidate dried up as Obama managed to present himself to the public as an ideologically amorphous managerial candidate whose claim to fame was that he wasn’t George W. Bush.

As we approach the race for 2012, the market for a third party candidate once again has the potential to develop depending on how things play out over the next couple of years as each major party struggles to find its voice in post-Clinton, post-Bush America. The Democrats appear to be moving decidedly leftward, embracing bigger government, more central planning, more debt, cultural bossiness on issues like the environment, and a traditionally liberal foreign policy. The GOP could go in a variety of directions in response to all of this, with its final destination yet to be determined. Republicans could go the conventional route and nominate a Sarah Palin, who will likely call for more tax cuts, social conservatism, and military involvement in the Middle East, thus making the Republican Party seem no better than the Democrats to the growing throngs of voters who want less government both at home and abroad. Or the GOP could nominate the candidate most dissimlar to President Obama in former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson, who, like Ron Paul, wants the U.S. out of the Middle East, and wants to scale back government in both the economic and cultural arenas. Or Republicans may decide to nominate a Romney to run from the center-right and talk both about modest tax cuts and modest deficit cuts, leaving an opening for a fire-breather to run third party.

http://race42008.com/2010/01/09/mccainlieberman-2012-it-could-happen/

kathy88
01-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Just the headline made me physically ill.

cpike
01-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Well this is a great way to start my day...

Bruno
01-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Just the headline made me physically ill.

me too

LittleLightShining
01-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Not gonna happen.

Cowlesy
01-10-2010, 09:33 AM
won't happen..both will be far too old in the public's eyes.

sparebulb
01-10-2010, 09:44 AM
won't happen..both will be far too old in the public's eyes.

I agree. Unfortunately, RP is a year older than McShame.

Travlyr
01-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Why not Bob Dole? Sheesh.

catdd
01-10-2010, 10:15 AM
We could be bankrupt from all this warmongering by 2012.

speciallyblend
01-10-2010, 10:21 AM
if the gop wants to become a 3rd party, i dare them!!!

Lovecraftian4Paul
01-10-2010, 01:40 PM
No way will this happen. Reminds me of the early talk about the Democrats running Gore or Kerry again in 2008. It's almost unheard of in modern times for either party to put up a candidate that failed in the November Presidential election.

TortoiseDream
01-10-2010, 01:42 PM
hahahaaha good one.

RyanRSheets
01-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Don't know why I find the idea of a Ron Paul 2012 independent run so interesting. I think he could pull a Ross Perot, and 2012 might very well be the year.

kahless
01-10-2010, 02:14 PM
I am sure FNC will be very excited about this and mention how they think Sarah Palin would make a great Secretary of State.

I doubt anyone still has a concern about Ron Pauls age for running again in 2012 after reading this.

reardenstone
01-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Age is relative. Ron paul now appears as sharp as ever while McCain has noticeable slowed down and appears to be suffering from his old injuries.

I hope that RP would run as an independent if he doesn't win the Republican primary, though I don't believe that is allowed by the GOP. He would have to test the waters then bail if it looks like the Bushicans want another Cheney friendly Republican to run.

kahless
01-10-2010, 03:12 PM
There will be strong liberty candidates maybe even Ron Paul with strong showings but I expect the news networks particularly FNC will ignore them and pick their own.

FNC will probably go down this road regardless of the will of the people.

Romney/Palin
Huckabee/Palin
Romney/Huckabee
McCain/Lieberman
Gingrich/Palin
Gingrich/Guiliani
Palin/Gingrich
Guiliani/Palin

I feel nauseous. We need a liberty news channel. Until that happens I expect FNC to co-opt the liberty and tea party movement and promote this farse.

Dianne
01-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Well if it does, you will know for sure that the DNC and the GOP are working together to be sure Obama gets a second term.

Dunedain
01-10-2010, 05:08 PM
The most anti-liberty ticket ever. I can hear their theme song in my head:

Bomb, bomb, bomb....bomb, bomb, Iran. Hundred years....war, war McCain
We got a self-hating white guy who lives illegals and a Jewish Supremacist who loves Israel. We'll ruin your country but save the home of the Jews! We both like to spend all of your money and we both love to hate the terrorist bunnies....o.k. I that last part needs work.

anaconda
01-11-2010, 04:08 AM
McCain needs to go on a diet. He's almost as wide as he is tall.

Most people can see that McCain and Lieberman are both insincere. and both have clearly been corrupted by moneyed influences. They are both also very boring people. It might be the first ticket ever to get zero votes.