PDA

View Full Version : China's lobbying efforts yield new influence, openness on Capitol Hill

bobbyw24
01-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Some people here talk about the power of the pro-Israeli lobbyists; what about the pro-Chinese lobbyists?

China's lobbying efforts yield new influence, openness on Capitol Hill

By John Pomfret
Saturday, January 9, 2010; A01

Ten years ago, U.S. lawmakers publicly accused the China Ocean Shipping Co. of being a front for espionage and blocked plans to expand its Long Beach, Calif., port terminal over fears that Chinese spies would use it to snoop on the United States.

By last year, Congress was seeing the state-owned Chinese behemoth in a far kinder light. Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) authored a resolution applauding the company for employing thousands of Americans and helping keep the waters of Alaska clean. Rep. Stephen F. Lynch (D-Mass.) hailed the firm on the House floor, calling its chief executive "a people's ambassador" to the United States after it rescued Boston's port -- and thousands of jobs -- when a European shipping line moved out.

The congressional about-face illustrates a dramatic increase in China's influence on Capitol Hill, where for years its lobbying muscle never matched its ballooning importance in world affairs. Members of Congress, lobbyists and other observers said China's new prominence is largely the result of Beijing's increasingly sophisticated efforts to influence events at the center of U.S. power -- and a growing realization among U.S. lawmakers that China has become a critical economic player across America.

Although many Americans still view China with deep suspicion because of its communist system and human rights record, the results of Beijing's image-and-influence campaign are clear. Members of Congress "are starting to understand that the Chinese are not communist but that the Chinese are Chinese," said Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.). China is Oregon's biggest export market after Canada.

"China is an overarching backdrop to almost everything that I am involved with," said the seven-term congressman, adding that on matters as diverse as the U.S. economy, climate change and energy policy, "China is something that no one can ignore."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/08/AR2010010803710.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Dunedain
01-09-2010, 08:35 PM
The Chinese will find that the Israelis have already claimed ownership over the house.

YumYum
01-09-2010, 09:04 PM
It looks like the "Israeli Firsters" are becoming "Chinese Firsters".

shenlu54
01-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Since the US controls the money supply of China(the fixed exchange rate of RMB against U.S.dollar), what the hell do you think the house would be "pro-China",instead,China is always "pro-America".

YumYum
01-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Since the US controls the money supply of China(the fixed exchange rate of RMB against U.S.dollar), what the hell do you think the house would be "pro-China",instead,China is always "pro-America".

How and why is China "pro-American"?

Dieseler
01-10-2010, 12:13 AM

Cheap plastic toys?
:D

Dianne
01-10-2010, 12:44 AM
I think I am moving to Israel. The faster I can get out of this hell hole to another hell hole; the happier I will think I am.

BenIsForRon
01-10-2010, 01:21 AM

They are just as invested in the illusion as we are. The illusion is that the United States has a lot of money.

shenlu54
01-10-2010, 03:16 AM

You can find "made in China" in every cornor of America.

1.6billion Chinese slaves are working for their master the United Stats day and night.