PDA

View Full Version : Will Gregory: CT-4

Daamien
01-09-2010, 04:10 PM
http://www.gregoryforcongress.com/

Anyone have a view on his congressional candidacy? He is campaigning as a financial conservative and social moderate in Connecticut's 4th Congressional district (against freshmen Democrat Rep. Jim Himes). He is only 24, but has some interesting experience having volunteered for the Bush (which he regrets) and McCain (which he seems to consider somewhat of a let-down) Presidential campaigns in prior years.

CT's 4th Congressional District includes the south western part of the state roughly with similar borders to Fairfield County. Major cities include Stamford, Bridgeport, Norwalk, and Greenwich. The district has a lot of independents, but predominately votes Democrat. Jim Himes beat out "moderate" Chris Shays (the last Republican Representative in New England) in 2008 in a close election. Himes has since then voted strictly with his party on a number of controversial issues (healthcare, bailouts, stimulus, cap and trade, cash for clunkers, etc...). Therefore, his 2010 reelection will largely be a referendum on the Obama administration and Democratic party's performance.

I'd love to hear some viewpoints.

randolphfuller
01-09-2010, 08:15 PM
He volunteered for Bush after the invasion of Iraq, which Pope John Paul II had already called"a great crime against humanity". He volunteered for McCain after he boasted that he intended to occupy Iraq for fifty years? You have to ask questions about this guy? Believe me, as long as freedom movement people keep voting for them becaquse there is an R next to their name, the Republicans will keep nominating them.

Daamien
01-10-2010, 11:52 AM
http://hiphoprepublican.com/politics/campaigns/2009/06/16/will-gregory-will-gregory-a-young-moderate-republican-takes-on-the-gop/

I began to wonder if I had been wrong to work on President Bush’s re-election campaign, Connecticut Victory 2004, or whether my views were even welcome in the party at all.

At an interview for a White House position, I recall being asked the most basic of questions: “Name two of the administration’s policies you agree with.” I couldn’t provide an answer.

I caught the early train to Washington to begin serving in the War Room of the McCain campaign. I was chomping at the bit, ready to bring fresh ideas and energy to the timeless values that meant so much to me. Before long, however, it was made abundantly clear that my thoughts and ideas were of little interest or consequence to those higher up.

Something was wrong and it was obvious. While the Obama campaign, and Democrats in general, had fostered the enthusiasm, creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship of their young contributors (i.e. most outreach strategists and speech writers were in their 20s), Republicans had become rigid and stale.

This was evident not only in our campaign efforts but also our policies. We were so intent on achieving the simplest majority, 50% plus one votes, that we drifted from the principles we espoused just shortly before. While maneuvering to the areas where polls indicated public opinion resided, we alienated our base and confused those we were so eager to persuade.

I wouldn't give him too hard of a time considering he admitted to becoming disillusioned with the establishment like so many of us have.

I can't quite tell where he stands on overseas intervention, but his domestic platform is well in-line with what we espouse.