PDA

View Full Version : Seeking clarification on the RP Movement & Campaign for Liberty

cbc58
01-08-2010, 07:44 AM
I come to these boards as a supporter fiscal responsibility and less governement and also because it is one of the most informative sites on the net to understand our economy and politics.

However I really don't understand how the RP Movement is structured now (if there is any formal structure) or what the affiliation is for RP Campaign for Liberty.

Is there anyone leading THIS movement and what does the "campaign for liberty" organization do to help it?........

If anyone could please explain it would be appreciated.

brandon
01-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Campaign for liberty basically just sends lots of emails and snail mails asking for money.

Sometimes they support or oppose legislation and try to get people to contact their representatives.

That's about it.

No leader, no structure...there never was a leader.

dr. hfn
01-08-2010, 08:06 AM
no gods, no kings, only man

fisharmor
01-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Is there anyone leading THIS movement and what does the "campaign for liberty" organization do to help it?........

Sure.
This is the way it works.

YOU ARE THE LEADER. YOU ARE THE ONE IN CHARGE.

Here's why.

I think it would be fair to assume that everyone on this board believes that central planning is at best an inferior model for progress than decentralized, individual initiative.

I think it would be fair to assume everyone here believes that coerced associations and taxation are at best inferior models for progress than voluntary associations with others and charitable donations.

I think it would be fair to assume everyone here truly wishes that they were simply left alone to manage their own affairs.

I think it would be fair to assume that if everyone was thus left alone, most of the people here would busy themselves with the extra time and money they suddenly had in the effort of helping those who are genuinely unable to manage their own affairs.

You're the king, you're the leader of your own destiny - that's supposed to be what America is all about. Sure, there are other "leaders" in the sense that there are people organizing efforts. And you should voluntarily assist them as much as you are able.

But nobody in this movement is going to tell you where to go or how loud to shout. That is not only completely at odds with some basic tenets of the movement: it is also completely at odds with how this movement has made so much progress in the last two years - via decentralized effort.

Ethek
01-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Sure.

Here's why.

I think it would be fair to assume that everyone on this board believes that central planning is at best an inferior model for progress than decentralized, individual initiative.

I think it would be fair to assume everyone here believes that coerced associations and taxation are at best inferior models for progress than voluntary associations with others and charitable donations.

I think it would be fair to assume everyone here truly wishes that they were simply left alone to manage their own affairs.

I think it would be fair to assume that if everyone was thus left alone, most of the people here would busy themselves with the extra time and money they suddenly had in the effort of helping those who are genuinely unable to manage their own affairs.

You're the king, you're the leader of your own destiny - that's supposed to be what America is all about. Sure, there are other "leaders" in the sense that there are people organizing efforts. And you should voluntarily assist them as much as you are able.

But nobody in this movement is going to tell you where to go or how loud to shout. That is not only completely at odds with some basic tenets of the movement: it is also completely at odds with how this movement has made so much progress in the last two years - via decentralized effort.

I agree with this. RPF members are consistently the most informed political activists I see anywhere. We are on the cusp of a revolution of ideas in this country and people who support Ron Paul are consistently the most principled. There may be people in other movements that aspire for power but when a RP supporter and especially RPF members talk about subjects people listen, even if they say they do not.

We shape the conversation, we win.

pacelli
01-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Seize every moment you can to spread the message of freedom in your daily life. It isn't about elections, it isn't even about Ron Paul. It's about you demonstrating your values to others. If we don't exercise our freedoms, there are people willing to trample on them.

newbitech
01-08-2010, 08:38 AM
I come to these boards as a supporter fiscal responsibility and less governement and also because it is one of the most informative sites on the net to understand our economy and politics.

However I really don't understand how the RP Movement is structured now (if there is any formal structure) or what the affiliation is for RP Campaign for Liberty.

When Ron Paul's Prez campaign came to an end, he had something like 5 million left over from the money bombs. He decided to use that to create Campaign for Liberty which I believe is a 503c design to educate people who are interested in getting with "official" political channels.

This site is a bit different in the sense that it is a grassroots organizational hub. Many projects and initiatives sprung forth from the grassroots and much of the planning for those projects was discussed here and at other Ron Paul liberty supporting hubs. Such initiatives included the wildly successful money bombs, the Tea Parties, the Blimp, spontaneous phone banking, mass email campaigns, digging up buried news such as things like MIAC and fusions centers, and much much more.

Activity in C4L is monitored here, as well as discussions about the leadership (or in some cases lack of) decisions and debates going on in various districts around the states, and even several chapters over seas.

So basically, the structure of the Ron Paul movement is a fluid structure which at times has direct leadership from the top (the audit the fed bill for example) and at times has diffuse leadership from the bottom (pretty much the entire Presidential campaign was spawned by the grassroots with the grassroots leading the way).

I hope that explains a little bit more in detail.

Travlyr
01-08-2010, 08:39 AM

I wonder this too. I have read the other comments, so there is no need to repeat them.

We have a very big hill to climb to get back to the constitutional concepts... a lot of repealing to do. If we do not need a leader, do not we need a plan to achieve our common goals? How do we do it without a leader?

torchbearer
01-08-2010, 08:49 AM

or- you can say- every Man is a king, but no one wears THE crown.

constituent
01-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Just shut-up and donate. <kidding>

LibertyEagle
01-08-2010, 09:11 AM

We are not affiliated. However, many of us share common goals.

You perhaps can get a better explanation of what the Campaign for Liberty does over on their site (www.campaignforliberty.com) or from people who are active members. But, here is their mission statement:

"The mission of the Campaign for Liberty is to promote and defend the great American principles of individual liberty, constitutional government, sound money, free markets, and a noninterventionist foreign policy, by means of educational and political activity."

I think national tries to help mobilize their grassroots membership to do things like using pressure to get HR1207 passed and the like. And to that end, national seems to be offering regional education and training to make their membership as politically effective as possible. It seems like one big goal is to get precinct leaders all over the country, so that our movement's voice and actions will be quite impactful.

RyanRSheets
01-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Anarchy is the best word to describe our structure.

constitutional
01-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Campaign for liberty basically just sends lots of emails and snail mails asking for money.

Sometimes they support or oppose legislation and try to get people to contact their representatives.

That's about it.

No leader, no structure...there never was a leader.

Sure.

Here's why.

Seize every moment you can to spread the message of freedom in your daily life. It isn't about elections, it isn't even about Ron Paul. It's about you demonstrating your values to others. If we don't exercise our freedoms, there are people willing to trample on them.

Wow, those are some lame "I don't know. I am delusional" answers. C4L does have leaders and a structure. If you didn't know that, then time to get off this these forums so lies and misinformation does not keep spreading.

And for the record, these forums use to be informative. But now it's over-run by people like (I'm not going to mention the name because I am afraid of getting banned) who spam the hell out of this forum with biased news stories and lies. If I wanted to read news stories, I can go to hundreds of websites to do so. But no, now we have this "gatekeeper" who decides what kind of stories to stuff this forum with. Isn't that what Fox News/CNN/MSNBC does too?

That's right. I cannot even openly talk on this forum w/o by being banned.

JoshLowry
01-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Wow, those are some lame "I don't know. I am delusional" answers. C4L does have leaders and a structure. If you didn't know that, then time to get off this these forums so lies and misinformation does not keep spreading.

And for the record, these forums use to be informative. But now it's over-run by people like (I'm not going to mention the name because I am afraid of getting banned) who spam the hell out of this forum with biased news stories and lies. If I wanted to read news stories, I can go to hundreds of websites to do so. But no, now we have these "gatekeeper" who decide what kind of stories to stuff this forum with. Isn't that what Fox News/CNN/MSNBC does too?

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Gatekeepers? Banned for openly creating new threads? Everyone is biased to a degree.

If you have a problem with someone and would like to link me, please feel free to pm me.

torchbearer
01-08-2010, 10:22 AM

And for the record, these forums use to be informative. But now it's over-run by people like (I'm not going to mention the name because I am afraid of getting banned) who spam the hell out of this forum with biased news stories and lies. If I wanted to read news stories, I can go to hundreds of websites to do so. But no, now we have this "gatekeeper" who decides what kind of stories to stuff this forum with. Isn't that what Fox News/CNN/MSNBC does too?

with our movement small, we require everyone to become a leader. as in- don't wait for someone else to do something. you do it yourself.
if you don't know what to do- i'm sure people on here can give you suggestions.

each of us has different skills, so our jobs in the revolution will not be the same. but you have to find your own place. Ron doesn't want to run our lives, he doesn't even want to tell us how to run our grassroots for him. I think he is on to something.

MelissaWV
01-08-2010, 10:24 AM

You can openly read the question:

Is there anyone leading THIS movement ...

Not "does C4L have a leader" but "does THIS movement have a leader." The responses you posted addressed the fact that "the movement" does not have an annointed leader.

You cannot openly talk on any forum, by the way; every forum is moderated to varied degrees. That is also why they have terms of use/service. If you are referring to a particular chatter who seems to do nothing but post stories, the stories are of the kind that relate to the mission statement. They seem one-sided because there's little point in reposting what the MSM is already blaring across the airwaves. You can post articles that don't violate the posted forum rules, and even some that don't, in the proper forum and you generally won't get heat from the mods. The place isn't perfect. It works.

It isn't as good as it used to be. Neither are a lot of things. One can go on to other things, make the thing better, or do nothing and complain :D

constitutional
01-08-2010, 10:29 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Gatekeepers? Banned for openly creating new threads? Everyone is biased to a degree.

If you have a problem with someone and would like to link me, please feel free to pm me.

We use to have great members who regularly posted in the Economics and Sound Money forum. I was recently talking to Jordan and he said the reason he does not read the forums anymore is because it has become unbearable.

I am specifically talking about this:

http://imgur.com/RGmT3.png

bobbyw24
01-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Suggesting that I be banned for posting many new threads?

C'mon.

I think that I keep this site active and fresh.

I was active when many people left temporarily or for good.

I promote this site in many ways and drive traffic to it.

Now and then I get PMs asking me to not start so many threads cuz their threads are being bumped down. I don't see this site as a way to get attention to me but to the message of liberty.

To ask the admin to ban me for that is incredibly inane. Why would the admins want less traffic driven to their site? Just to please a few malcontents?

Perhaps someone could poll and see what members think.

If people want me to leave and blog elsewhere, I might.

MelissaWV
01-08-2010, 10:38 AM
I'm sure this is providing the OP with that sense of clarity they were seeking...

bobbyw24
01-08-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm sure this is providing the OP with that sense of clarity they were seeking...

Good point, Melissa. Well, maybe it does--it shows this movement has people who bitch and fight about stupid issues and distract people from its goals

torchbearer
01-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Good point, Melissa. Well, maybe it does--it shows this movement has people who bitch and fight about stupid issues and distract people from its goals

been that way since the first week. isn't going to change. and if you make a move to remove distractions, you get more distractions.

reminds me of something from my childhood. i was in charge of killing pest who ate things from our garden. one such pest was the mocking bird who liked to dine on our tomatoes. everytime you'd kill a mocking bird, there was another one that quickly came to take his place.
you could kill 20 mocking birds in a year, and still more would come. same with Starlings.
we have a lot of "pesty birds" who contribute zero to real world political efforts and derail everything that gets started on this forum.
but what can you do? we can't even keep the stormfront freaks off the forum.

romacox
01-08-2010, 10:46 AM

C'mon.

Now and then I get PMs asking me to not start so many threads cuz their threads are being bumped down. I don't see this site as a way to get attention to me but to the message of liberty.

To ask the admin to ban me for that is incredibly inane. Why would the admins want less traffic driven to their site? Just to please a few malcontents?

I vote to keep Bobby posting. They are very informative articles. We dislike it when the Republican Party bans us . He, Bobby, is a long time active RP supporter. Are we going to do the same thing the RP party is guilty of? Is TheAmistad a RP supporter?

constituent
01-08-2010, 10:54 AM
[

No, ur awesome. I enjoy the threads.

f* amistad.

constitutional
01-08-2010, 10:56 AM

C'mon.

Since you are an avid reader, you should know that no one has suggested banning you in this thread.

There are hundreds of different Liberty websites who do what you do. For example, here's a recent article you posted. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=Ron+Paul%3A+Tea+parties+won%27t+rebuild+GOP&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=) As you can see, many many liberty websites index those articles. They copy/paste articles, exactly what you do.

If you really wanted to make a mark on the Search engine, try to write your own summary and provide a link to the story. Even leave a one or two sentence of your own opinion. Simple copy/paste of content from another site degenerates a website's ranking in the search.

Do you remember Truth Warrior? He use to talk in quotes. You on the other hand, simple talk in term of links. This thread is a perfect example. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=2482866)

romacox
01-08-2010, 11:03 AM
I often come to this site for bobby's articles to post on other sites. So if you are finding these articles on other sites, they may well have originated from here.

Besides, I have found that if others find an article interesting, it is quickly bumped up above Bobby's.

Mike4Freedom
01-08-2010, 11:13 AM
I really dont have an issue with it. He posts good articles. Maybe make a newsfeed subforum?

fisharmor
01-08-2010, 11:16 AM
But nobody in this movement is going to tell you where to go or how loud to shout.

If you didn't know that, then time to get off this these forums so lies and misinformation does not keep spreading.

Sorry, I spoke too soon. Apparently Amistad will tell you where to go and how loud to shout.

I don't have an explanation for how this can be the duty of someone who believes in liberty. Looks like I get a little cognitive dissonance before lunch, I guess.

Travlyr
01-08-2010, 11:20 AM

Leader: How will we dismantle the socialist policies without a plan or a leader? I don't see it happening.

torchbearer
01-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Leader: How will we dismantle the socialist policies without a plan or a leader? I don't see it happening.

have you ever witnessed spontaneous order? i have. it happened during ron paul's presidential campaign.
millions of peoples desires of self-interest coming together without someone directing there every step. voluntary actions can work.
it works the same way the free market works.

Travlyr
01-08-2010, 11:25 AM
have you ever witnessed spontaneous order? i have. it happened during ron paul's presidential campaign.
millions of peoples desires of self-interest coming together without someone directing there every step. voluntary actions can work.
it works the same way the free market works.

We have nearly 50% of the people on the public dole. Free markets are not in the interests of those people. I still don't see it happening without a plan and a leader.

ItsTime
01-08-2010, 11:27 AM
well this thread got off target.

torchbearer
01-08-2010, 11:28 AM
We have nearly 50% of the people on the public dole. Free markets are not in the interests of those people. I still don't see it happening without a plan and a leader.

Um, you will see it happen, even if we did nothing. the reason we are doing something is to try to keep a collapse from happening. but doing nothing will lead to the collapse of this monetary system and government system. no leader on our side required.
If you need a leader, i'll be your leader. tell me your skills and location on this planet. i'll see about hooking you into a program that has a local leader, and they can direct your actions for you.

Travlyr
01-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Ron Paul was our leader. Dr. Paul brings principled diligence to understanding, and he has been willing to share his knowledge. But the task of returning to the "rule of law" is gargantuan.

Our government is not in self destruct mode. Our government is in take control mode, and they are being quite successful. I don't like it, and I plan to prove to my children and grandchildren that I fought for liberty for them.

We have a lot of liberty loving candidates running for office just like we had in 1994. But those days came and went with an ever growing and intrusive government.

While I see spontaneous order, I do not see a comprehensive plan to return our government back to the constitutional principals. And I don't see it happening without a plan and a leader.

torchbearer
01-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Ron Paul was our leader. Dr. Paul brings principled diligence to understanding, and he has been willing to share his knowledge. But the task of returning to the "rule of law" is gargantuan.

Our government is not in self destruct mode. Our government is in take control mode, and they are being quite successful. I don't like it, and I plan to prove to my children and grandchildren that I fought for liberty for them.

We have a lot of liberty loving candidates running for office just like we had in 1994. But those days came and went with an ever growing and intrusive government.

While I see spontaneous order, I do not see a comprehensive plan to return our government back to the constitutional principals. And I don't see it happening without a plan and a leader.

I'll be your leader if you need one.

constituent
01-08-2010, 11:52 AM

I'm sure there's a lesson in there for you somewhere.

While I see spontaneous order, I do not see a comprehensive plan to return our government back to the constitutional principals.

No comment.

constituent
01-08-2010, 11:52 AM

that's a winner. :)

Travlyr
01-08-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm sure there's a lesson in there for you somewhere.

Oh yeah... the lesson is: "Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me." No more "Contract with America" for me.

No thanks... you don't have a plan.

You guys take the pill, and I'll work on a plan.

torchbearer
01-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Oh yeah... the lesson is: "Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me." No more "Contract with America" for me.

I have a plan. I'm working it in my state. We have a meeting this saturday to cause Senator Mary Landrieu some permanent political pain for her sellout on obamacare.
i take a leadership role in that i know a lot of people and i can get things done, but i don't have to tell people what to do. that is the easy part. doing it is the hard part.
what are you doing this weekend to help return constitutional government?
it seems you are blaming others for your lack of progress.
well one finger is pointing at us, the rest of them are point at you.

i told you, i'll be your leader. if you need directions, i can give you some.
we have plans and Rand's success is vicariously due to everything we are doing in our own areas.

constituent
01-08-2010, 12:16 PM

You quoted the wrong guy...

Of course, that doesn't really bode well for your "plan."

cbc58
01-08-2010, 12:19 PM
So this movement is really a bunch of rag-tag misfits trying to change the world... me included.

I didn't mean to start an argument - was curious about the setup because there appears to be no real focus except to promote liberty in any way individuals see fit.

torchbearer
01-08-2010, 12:23 PM
So this movement is really a bunch of rag-tag misfits trying to change the world... me included.

I didn't mean to start an argument - was curious about the setup because there appears to be no real focus except to promote liberty in any way individuals see fit.

we are living the philosophy.

I can tell you about Louisiana-
we have an alliance between all kinds of liberty groups. C4L, meetup, tea party, LP, CP, some Greens. Liberty GOPers, some Liberty Dems, some Indies.
Not one group leads the others, but the competition of ideas works in that great ideas, people join voluntarily and bad ideas sink.

Have you started a local meet-up? Or joined one that is already active?
Have you join C4L? what about doing your own group in your state?

We are starting recall petitions for bad politicians. we are going for the kill on naughty people.

Travlyr
01-08-2010, 12:32 PM
I have a plan. I'm working it in my state. We have a meeting this saturday to cause Senator Mary Landrieu some permanent political pain for her sellout on obamacare.
i take a leadership role in that i know a lot of people and i can get things done, but i don't have to tell people what to do. that is the easy part. doing it is the hard part.

we have plans and Rand's success is vicariously due to everything we are doing in our own areas.

I am not blaming anybody. What I am saying is: "We tried this already... in 1994."

I spend my days working to get Adam Kokesh elected to congress. And, I am not blaming anybody. What I am saying is: "We tried this already... in 1994."

While I do not need a personal leader, we need to come together as liberty loving individuals with a plan to defeat the "power elite (http://www.thedailybell.com/610/Power-Elite.html)."

Electing Rand, Adam and others is a start, but the task is gargantuan and I am on this forum hoping for positive input for a comprehensive plan to defeat socialism in America.

torchbearer
01-08-2010, 12:36 PM
I am not blaming anybody. What I am saying is: "We tried this already... in 1994."

I spend my days working to get Adam Kokesh elected to congress. And, I am not blaming anybody. What I am saying is: "We tried this already... in 1994."

While I do not need a personal leader, we need to come together as liberty loving individuals with a plan to defeat the "power elite (http://www.thedailybell.com/610/Power-Elite.html)."

Electing Rand, Adam and others is a start, but the task is gargantuan and I am on this forum hoping for positive input for a comprehensive plan to defeat socialism in America.

Well, from my perspective- that since 2007, we have made a huge leap in progress towards the goals of constitutional government.
I've been active in the liberty "movement" since 1996. We've had many leading figures. But who can plan the actions of so many different people?
How could Ron Paul tell us how to attack the problems in Louisiana?
How can someone from Lake Charles tell people in Alexandria how to attack tyranny in their area.
Think of it as a confederacy of individuals.

Travlyr
01-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Well, from my perspective- that since 2007, we have made a huge leap in progress towards the goals of constitutional government.
I've been active in the liberty "movement" since 1996. We've had many leading figures. But who can plan the actions of so many different people?
How could Ron Paul tell us how to attack the problems in Louisiana?
How can someone from Lake Charles tell people in Alexandria how to attack tyranny in their area.
Think of it as a confederacy of individuals.

Well, thanks for your feedback. I hope the confederacy of individuals works, but I fear the power elite has a plan.

torchbearer
01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Well, thanks for your feedback. I hope the confederacy of individuals works, but I fear the power elite has a plan.

Many people have plans, the ones the work will gain support, those that don't will die. It will happen naturally.
The elites have plans, but they seem to be leading to their demise. Not a very good plan, and one the reeks of central planning. they aren't that smart.

constituent
01-08-2010, 12:45 PM

history says our odds are pretty good.

hell, just look at the twelve disciples...

constituent
01-08-2010, 12:48 PM

"The best laid plans of mice and men..."

georgiaboy
01-08-2010, 12:56 PM

I think Ron Paul laid out the plan pretty simply during his 2008 presidential campaign == Get and Stay Involved in Any and Every Way You Can. What does this look like on an individual level? Bottoms up. Top down. Grassroots. Netroots. Time. Talent. Treasure. Educating, voting, activism, running for office, writing and calling legislators, party involvement & leadership, campaigning, on and on. It happens in many directions, but the trendline is steadily improving. The short-term goal? There are many - hundreds, nay thousands. The long-term goal? that's easy.

As for a leader, I'd say the principles themselves are in the lead. People will always at some point fail you, principles are eternal. But if you need people, Ron Paul, Thomas Jefferson, Ludwig von Mises, ....

sofia
01-08-2010, 12:58 PM
CFL is a huge disappointment. No surprise given the ineptness of the RP campaign in 2008.

Don't wait for marching orders from any pro-freedom groups as there really arent any that I see that are being effective.

Just mount up and ride towards the sound of the guns.

Letters to the Editors - call in to talk shows - inform your friends and family

georgiaboy
01-08-2010, 01:00 PM
CFL is a huge disappointment. No surprise given the ineptness of the RP campaign in 2008.

Don't wait for marching orders from any pro-freedom groups as there really arent any that I see that are being effective.

bingo. and case in point. viral.

torchbearer
01-08-2010, 01:02 PM

Louisiana Activism is way up and progress is looking good.
Our C4L structure has just detached and became its own group that took control of the tea party movement here. we jumped in front of the parade they jumped in front of...
We are leading these people here, and we should be doing that in every state.
I will be having people coming in from all over the state to discuss the organization of these projects over the state.
the hard part is people actually doing the necesary work. people are pissed off enough to commit right now.

stu2002
01-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Amistad sounds like the captain of a slave ship. We here are his slaves

cbc58
01-08-2010, 01:50 PM
just one point: if you have everyone doing their own thing and no one operating as a watchdog.... one over zealous individual can do something or say something that sets the movement back or puts people off in a big way... and the mainsteam media and political system will jump all over that.

just an observation and one to consider.

torchbearer
01-08-2010, 01:54 PM
just one point: if you have everyone doing their own thing and no one operating as a watchdog.... one over zealous individual can do something or say something that sets the movement back or puts people off in a big way... and the mainsteam media and political system will jump all over that.

just an observation and one to consider.

we do not need an oversight committee to overlook every project.
the whole reason we detached from C4L was because everything we wanted to do was not allowed under the non-profit status.

cbc58
01-08-2010, 02:07 PM
i'm just pointing that out. that's the risk operating this way. hopefully no one will do something stupid.

NerveShocker
01-08-2010, 02:14 PM

It's a holographic structure. The basic idea is for everyone to understand the issues, who our enemies are, and most importantly who we are. In this way there is no one leader who knows anything more than each individual amongst us knows(or at least have the same information available).

This way if a leader is corrupted and starts changing the message or is somehow destroyed or discredited he or she can easily be replaced by the next individual willing to step up to the plate.

Sun Tzu: "It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

tangent4ronpaul
01-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Leader? well, we all basically follow Ron Paul and if he encourages people to do do something - generally lots of people do whatever that is.

Beyond that - leaders... basically, whoever wants to be a leader. Wee've had many leaders. They usually come up with a plan, often value added like collecting names and phone numbers of representatives to call to oppose a bill, for example, or even build web sites - then they announce what they are doing and basically say "follow me!" If people follow and perform the action - it was a good plan! If nobody follows, well apathy is really kicking in or it wasn't a very good idea anyway, so the leader wanders off and finds something else to do till next time. Anyone can be a leader.

As to C4L - good things: occasional ad campaigns, and recently they have started to NOT really, really suck, like they did before. They have driven campaigns to encourage contacting reps to support or oppose legislation and there have been some petitioning campaigns to the same end.

Bad things - uber controlling, keep people separate, squashes all but local communications, and is constantly begging for money.

-t

ForLiberty-RonPaul
01-08-2010, 04:30 PM

you got it.

tremendoustie
01-08-2010, 04:36 PM
It's a holographic structure. The basic idea is for everyone to understand the issues, who our enemies are, and most importantly who we are. In this way there is no one leader who knows anything more than each individual amongst us knows(or at least have the same information available).

This way if a leader is corrupted and starts changing the message or is somehow destroyed or discredited he or she can easily be replaced by the next individual willing to step up to the plate.

Sun Tzu: "It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

Well said. I think, far from being a weakness, the grassroots structure of this movement is among the most robust possible. Individual leaders can be corrupted, thwarted, or dissuaded. Ideas are far more compelling, and far more enduring, than personalities.