PDA

View Full Version : There should be a "DO NOT SHOW MY NAME ON FRONT PAGE" option when donating...

TechnoGuyRob
10-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Because I am sure there are many people who were all for the MSM's portrayal of Ron Paul now eating their words...

And who knows, maybe they'll secretly start to like Ron Paul. :) They certainly wouldn't want anyone to know. ;-)

OptionsTrader
10-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Your phone calls and emails can be monitored, but you are worried about names on a donation flash app.

TechnoGuyRob
10-04-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm not! I'm glad!

I'm just saying some people might be hesitant, because everyone they know are neocons.

Kind of like a heavy duty Christian mom finding out her kid donated to an atheist organization.

max
10-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Because I am sure there are many people who were all for the MSM's portrayal of Ron Paul now eating their words...

And who knows, maybe they'll secretly start to like Ron Paul. :) They certainly wouldn't want anyone to know. ;-)

i agree.....some high profile people may not feel comfortable donating..

arlo guthrie's name was up there last week....

Thunderbolt
10-04-2007, 06:13 PM
I agree with Techno. Some people want to be able to stay anonymous. They should have that option.

misconstrued
10-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Their name is public record either way. Does it matter if it flashes on the site for 20-30 seconds?

LibertyEagle
10-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Exactly. It's going to show up in the FEC report. But, I guess it would be nice if there was an option.

TechnoGuyRob
10-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Their name is public record either way. Does it matter if it flashes on the site for 20-30 seconds?

So? Look. When they donate, it doesn't say "YOUR NAME WILL BE PUBLIC RECORD." Maybe they don't care or know at the moment. But they do see that everyone's name is being published! Why can't you understand this? People often donate on an impulsive, and only an impulse can stop them!

EDIT: That doesn't matter! I'm sure there's a lot more people watching Ron Paul's front page than going through FEC reports.

I don't know why you guys are even pointing this out. Your name appearing instantly to everyone that visits the net's most popular presidential candidate is NOT the same as appearing in a list of thousands and thousands of donors.

Karsten
10-04-2007, 06:17 PM
This is a good point.

TechnoGuyRob
10-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Exactly. It's going to show up in the FEC report. But, I guess it would be nice if there was an option.

That's irrelevant. Your name appearing instantly to everyone that visits the net's most popular presidential candidate is NOT the same as appearing in a list of thousands and thousands of donors.

SwooshOU
10-04-2007, 06:20 PM
They could mail in a check. ;)

Joe Knows
10-04-2007, 06:21 PM
i agree.....some high profile people may not feel comfortable donating..

arlo guthrie's name was up there last week....

Maybe Arlo would be a good celebrity endorsement.

kylejack
10-04-2007, 06:29 PM
The widget is showing all donaters. The FEC report only shows donations bigger than 200. It should be optional.

constituent
10-04-2007, 06:29 PM
So? Look. When they donate, it doesn't say "YOUR NAME WILL BE PUBLIC RECORD." Maybe they don't care or know at the moment. But they do see that everyone's name is being published! Why can't you understand this? People often donate on an impulsive, and only an impulse can stop them!

EDIT: That doesn't matter! I'm sure there's a lot more people watching Ron Paul's front page than going through FEC reports.

I don't know why you guys are even pointing this out. Your name appearing instantly to everyone that visits the net's most popular presidential candidate is NOT the same as appearing in a list of thousands and thousands of donors.

agreed! i wasn't even going to donate at first on that alone. but my
wife was like "you gotta get a screen shot!"

so i donated anyway.

RonPaulGetsIt
10-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Who's gonna be looking in the Ron Paul site except other supporters? Seeing a name you recognize can only bring people together in my opinion.

I mean if you think your liberal Aunt Betty secretly likes Dr. Paul and you see her name on the site then all of the sudden the whole family is on board the Ron Paul train when you both say why you love Ron Paul.

Also - we are Ron Paul junkies - most people don't stare at this stuff all night like us - lol

Thunderbolt
Jeepers. This is not a big deal. Techno has a great point there is no point in arguing against. If a person doesn't want their name showing up, they shouldn't have to. The down side of doing this: nothing, you could simply have a thing come up that says anonymous, so people know another person donated. The upside: You may get more donations.

What is there to argue about?

constituent
Maybe Arlo would be a good celebrity endorsement.

get ready for a "dem-liberal-pinko-commie American haters" tidalwave my friend.

Thunderbolt
10-04-2007, 06:38 PM
I called the campaign and they said they would talk to the finance director about it and thought that Techno had a great idea! Thank you Tech!

Buzz
10-04-2007, 06:44 PM
They could mail in a check. ;)

QFT

OptionsTrader
10-04-2007, 06:44 PM
For you paranoid folks, here's an idea:

Make it optional, and allow a personalized phrase to be entered to make the people watching every tick up something interesting to read -)

TechnoGuyRob
10-04-2007, 06:46 PM
I called the campaign and they said they would talk to the finance director about it and thought that Techno had a great idea! Thank you Tech!

Thanks so much for letting them know! :)

TechnoGuyRob
10-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Make it optional, and allow a personalized phrase to be entered to make the people watching every tick up something interesting to read -)

Nah. Then someone would have to manually approve them in case someone posted propaganda or indecency.

Thunderbolt
10-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks so much for letting them know! :)

Of course. It took 15 seconds. It is a great idea. All upside, no downside. Great catch! I wouldn't have thought of it. Thanks for sticking with it and sticking up for yourself!

CurtisLow
10-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Yeah, they should have a link for confidential donations. I 100% agree!