PDA

View Full Version : Tucker Carlson Launches Right’s Answer to HuffPost

bobbyw24
01-07-2010, 06:20 AM
$3 Million in Investment Cash Backs Daily Caller
By DAVID WEIGEL 1/7/10 6:00 AM

The offices of the Daily Caller evoke a long-ago era of journalism, circa 2005 or 2006, before The Los Angeles Times closed its big-city bureaus, The Washington Times fired 60 percent of its staff, and magazines from Gourmet to Portfolio shuttered for lack of revenue. A staff of 21 reporters and editors sit in blindingly white offices and a wide-open center space, cranking out content for the site’s January 11 launch. Other possible hires walk in and out of Editor-in-Chief Tucker Carlson’s office, past a lounge inhabited by liquor bottles and a sleeping dog, and decorated by clocks that tell the time in far-flung and random locations: Pyongyang, Jackson Hole, Washington, Honolulu.

“I just thought it was funny,” said Carlson, chewing on a piece of Nicorette. (He quit smoking last year, on his 40th birthday.) “We dispatched some intern to go and get those signs made. Actually, it was $150–I never would have done it if I’d thought it would be so expensive. But something about it amused me. They’re on velcro. We swap ‘em out–we’ve got a whole drawer full of ‘em.”

“When was the last time you saw, on television, a straight explanation of what’s in the competing House and Senate health care bills?” Carlson asked. “What’s in them? People want to know that!”

In the time between that announcement and next week’s debut, Carlson and his partner Neil Patel–a former aide to Dick Cheney–raised money, scouted out staff (”we didn’t ask about ideology,” said Carlson) and held poker games at their original, grimier office in Washington’s Dupont Circle. A June launch date was pushed into autumn, and then pushed back again. The reason, explained Patel, was that “our aspirations kept growing.”

“The size of the staff is much bigger than we started with,” Patel said. “We were very lucky to get the amount of money we did based, basically, on a PowerPoint.”

As they convinced funders and advertisers that the online journalism model was viable–”two years ago, who would have thought that the Huffington Post would get more traffic than the Washington Post?”–they expanded the scale of the enterprise. When they go live, it will be with more than $3 million in start-up capital, enough to run the site for at least a year.

That site will bear as much of a resemblance to the Huffington Post–the juggernaut that now clocks around 17 million hits per month–as Carlson speculated that it would back last summer. According to Carlson, there will be at least one editor monitoring and posting stories “24 hours a day, around the clock, in the office.” The top story of the moment will run at the top of the page, with more content running beside it. Stories written by the magazine’s reporting team, which includes Washington Times veteran Jon Ward and Government Executive’s Gautham Nagesh, will be cycled in, marked as “DC Exclusives,” much the way that stories by Huffington Post reporters trade space with headlines that link to stories from other publications. A staff blog–possible names include “Caller ID” and “The Daily Trawler”–will indulge in more humor, some of it written by long-time conservative blogger Jim Treacher (real name Sean Medlock) who moved to Washington from Indianapolis after Carlson gave him a call. And an iPhone app is on the way.

continue

http://washingtonindependent.com/73364/carlson-launches-rights-answer-to-huffpost

revolutionisnow
01-07-2010, 09:19 AM
3 Million to start up a website?

paulitics
01-07-2010, 10:14 AM
3 Million to start up a website?

Yes, but only if it is a MSM news sight, that is on a fifth grade level of school yard bickering of left vs right.

You know, sites like politico, huffington post, etc, that have a staff of 100 +people that loses revenue each month.

Any real site with actual in depth news, usually costs very little and you don't need a staff of around the clock editors to keep everything in acceptable parameters to the establishment.

This website will be lame and tame for sure.

lester1/2jr
01-07-2010, 10:22 AM
he wrote good stuff about ron paul

Revolution0918
01-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Tucker voted for Paul when Ron ran as a lib. back in the day......even when he had his show he repeatedly had Ron on, this may b better then you think....besides the idiot dick cheney guy. Over all it looks like it will still b the same left right bickering tho

fisharmor
01-07-2010, 12:15 PM
The only MSM outlets I check any more are Russia Today and Al Jazeera.
Guaranteed difference of opinion there.

Bossobass
01-07-2010, 12:52 PM
We should start a section on his site: Hookers For Tucker Carlson", you know, to add extra site credibility.

Bosso

bobbyw24
01-11-2010, 06:56 AM
http://dailycaller.com/

MicroBalrog
01-11-2010, 07:00 AM
We should start a section on his site: Hookers For Tucker Carlson", you know, to add extra site credibility.

Bosso

Apparently you have a problem with prostitutes?

Bossobass
01-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Apparently you have a problem with prostitutes?

Tucker Carlson Brings Prostitutes To Meet Ron Paul

A recent Associated Press story about Ron Paul carries a headline that was carefully crafted to turn off many American voters. The headline proclaimed: "Paul Endorsed by Nevada Brothel Owner."

The AP story began: "Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul, an underdog Texas congressman with a libertarian streak, has picked up an endorsement from a Nevada brothel owner," Dennis Hof.

"Picked up," however, is the wrong phrase, since it implies, incorrectly, that Ron Paul had solicited Hof’s endorsement. In actuality, it was a member of the media, MSNBC’s Tucker Carlson, who had done the soliciting. Carlson not only contacted Hof to ask him to check out Ron Paul while Paul was in Nevada, but he even arrived at Ron Paul’s Reno news conference in the company of Hof and two of Hof’s prostitutes. Hof’s presence, which surprised the Ron Paul campaign, then gave Hof the opportunity to be interviewed by the media.

Tucker Carlson's involvement is acknowledged by AP, though not until the end of the story. The AP story notes that "Hof was accompanied to the Paul news conference by television news personality Tucker Carlson." It then finally quotes Carlson as admitting that "Dennis Hof is a good friend of mine, so when we got to Nevada, I decided to call him up and see if he wanted to come check this guy [Ron Paul] out." The AP article, though, fails to point out that the Ron Paul campaign was surprised when Carlson emerged from a limousine with Hof and two of Hof’s celebrity prostitutes to attend the news conference.

Bosso

constituent
01-11-2010, 08:50 AM

Bosso

that's good.

MicroBalrog
01-12-2010, 12:02 AM

Bosso

Booo-hooo. So?

I've never bought into the idea this was done deliberately to sabotage RP.

specsaregood
01-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Booo-hooo. So?

The only other 2 possibilities I can figure are:
1. Carlson is a moron.
2. Carlson wanted to play a joke on RP for laughs.

Either way, he isn't a friend.

Liberty Star
01-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Sometimes I lose track, which side are we on, Right or Left?

specsaregood
01-12-2010, 12:34 AM

Neither. We are on the side of freedom; which isn't constrained by silly concepts such as right or left.

Liberty Star
01-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Neither. We are on the side of freedom; which isn't constrained by silly concepts such as right or left.

Ok, thanks for the refresher.

0zzy
01-12-2010, 12:40 AM
maybe C4L should of did this. it was their opportunity to do so.

oh well.

Dieseler
01-12-2010, 12:56 AM
With friends like that...

speciallyblend
01-12-2010, 01:01 AM
Booo-hooo. So?

boo hoo, so , well i think he did. tucker carlson bringing the hookers was the dumbest thing he could do.
tucker is no different then any of the other talking bs hacks on msm he just wears a dorky bow tie.

maybe next time i meet Ron Paul i'll bring a full grown pot plant and smoke huge doobies and blow smoke in Ron Pauls face. tucker carlson is full of shit!!

tucker has no class on the hooker issue ,note was joking on the pot plant and blunts. the point is tucker has no class!!!

purplechoe
01-12-2010, 04:04 AM

Bosso

http://margetwain.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/hof.jpg

dr. hfn
01-12-2010, 04:21 AM
http://www.facebook.com/#/DailyCaller?ref=ts

YouTube - Tucker Carlson Praises Ron Paul, Denounces Internet Politics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpl5bsWmsBQ&feature=fvw)

YouTube - Ron Paul Rally- Tucker Carlson Intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38KHSPQLg1s)

Kludge
05-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Updated opinions on this? http://dailycaller.com/

I read about Carlson launching a new news website with original reporting in Reason -- he talked about it not being an news aggregate site, so the headline's throwing me off a bit. I've always liked Tucker's opinions on news programs... strong libertarian slant. Website looks fairly interesting, but dunno when I'll get around to reading it.

Must-Read: Keith Olbermann’s sugar-eating grin: We watch, because we’re paid to Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/05/07/keith-olbermanns-sugar-eating-grin-we-watch-because-were-paid-to/#ixzz0nLZ1sPXi (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/Keith%20Olbermann%E2%80%99s%20sugar-eating%20grin:%20We%20watch,%20because%20we%E2%80% 99re%20paid%20to%20%20Read%20more:%20http://dailycaller.com/2010/05/07/keith-olbermanns-sugar-eating-grin-we-watch-because-were-paid-to/#ixzz0nLZ1sPXi)

FRIDAY, APRIL 30: Another Friday, another “Fridays With Thurber” segment on “Countdown,” in which, like a douchebag version of Alistair Cooke, Keith takes off his glasses and suit jacket, reclines in a leather armchair, and pompously reads long passages of Literature.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/05/07/keith-olbermanns-sugar-eating-grin-we-watch-because-were-paid-to/#ixzz0nLZ95vtN

RforRevolution
05-08-2010, 08:50 AM

The side of logic and consistency.

jack555
05-08-2010, 12:41 PM
The only other 2 possibilities I can figure are:
1. Carlson is a moron.
2. Carlson wanted to play a joke on RP for laughs.

Either way, he isn't a friend.

Ron invited Carlson to speak at the Rally for the republic after this event happened so Ron must like him well enough. Carlson also supported him on tv in 2007/2008 and voted for him in 1988.

specsaregood
08-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Ron invited Carlson to speak at the Rally for the republic after this event happened so Ron must like him well enough. Carlson also supported him on tv in 2007/2008 and voted for him in 1988.

I gotta say, I have been quite surprised an entertained by the site. Carlson is doing a great job with it.

Kludge
08-12-2010, 11:16 PM
I gotta say, I have been quite surprised an entertained by the site. Carlson is doing a great job with it.

I have it bookmarked & read it fairly regularly.

Fantastic news alternative to Fox News.

specsaregood
08-12-2010, 11:18 PM
I have it bookmarked & read it fairly regularly.

Fantastic news alternative to Fox News.

And chock full of original content everyday. I'm prepared to eat crow about Carlson as long as he keeps up the good work.

low preference guy
08-12-2010, 11:20 PM
And chock full of original content everyday. I'm prepared to eat crow about Carlson as long as he keeps up the good work.

Carlson has been great at exposing the fact that most media outlets are divisions of the Democrat's PR department. It's an important job, and Carlson with Breitbart are among the top 2 doing it.

Imaginos
08-12-2010, 11:23 PM
+1
Left vs. Right paradigm is a big fat scam and finally many people are waking up from this bs.

tasteless
08-13-2010, 12:00 AM
I hope Willie Geist is on board too, it was the most enjoyable part of Tucker's show on MSNBC

RoamZero
08-13-2010, 03:34 AM
Tucker is a snake in the grass in the vein of Glenn Beck. I heard him interviewed on talk radio about his site and at one point he insinuated that Ron Paul supporters are all anti-Israel truthers.

RoamZero
08-13-2010, 03:43 AM
Here is a direct quote:

HH: Tucker, what I was getting to in the last segment is that you’ve been in many awkward moments, as I have, when you’re sharing the stage with someone who says something completely outrageous. And you have to either distance yourself or expect to be slammed for not distancing yourself. And hopefully, you distance yourself gracefully, but you get out of there. You know what I’m talking about, right?

TC: I know it’s so. I was the emcee at a Ron Paul convention, so I know exactly what you’re talking about.

HH: (laughing)

TC: And I got out of there as soon as they started blaming Israel for the bombing of the Twin Towers. I was out the door, so I know the deal.

http://www.hughhewitt.com/transcripts.aspx?id=66465e3f-5ba1-4dca-8c22-9a275ecf5c5e

low preference guy
08-13-2010, 03:46 AM
Here is a direct quote:

http://www.hughhewitt.com/transcripts.aspx?id=66465e3f-5ba1-4dca-8c22-9a275ecf5c5e

Tucker is not the one to blame here. Blame truthers who damage Ron Paul's image. He left the convention because a speaker started talking like a truther. Tucker doesn't want to be associated with that crap.

low preference guy
08-13-2010, 03:51 AM
I heard him interviewed on talk radio about his site and at one point he insinuated that Ron Paul supporters are all anti-Israel truthers.

No, he didn't insinuate that all Ron Paul supporters are truthers. He clearly meant that some people at the Rally for the Republic were truthers. Not all Ron Paul supporters were present at that Rally.

bobbyw24
12-26-2011, 12:13 PM
I still live the Daily Caller

kylejack
12-26-2011, 12:21 PM

You know who else associated with prostitutes? Jesus Christ.

bobbyw24
12-26-2011, 12:24 PM
You know who else associated with prostitutes? Jesus Christ.

Indeed

BrendenR
12-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Oh boy:

http://dailycaller.com/2011/12/26/fmr-staffer-ron-paul-planned-no-vote-for-afghanistan-invasion-staff-threatened-mutiny/

The Free Hornet
12-26-2011, 07:36 PM
I can live with a President that needs to be dragged into a war rather than orchestrating one where it is not needed. Who will fight better, faster, and at the lowest cost?

Regardless, this staffer completely deflates the media's racist spin. It is a political enemy saying: Ron Paul is not a racist and is not a bigot. He's pushing for Romney and has no incentive to lie in Ron's favor. So the media is back to not liking Ron's foreign policy (it is, uh, "foreign" to them). It's a race and they're back at the start line.

RonRules
12-26-2011, 07:50 PM
That's what's on the DailyCaller right now:

'Horrendous'
Former aide knocks Paul's ideas on foreign policy, Israel, national security

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/#ixzz1hhBhYRaB

speciallyblend
12-26-2011, 08:01 PM
tucker carlson is a joke on liberty. He is nothing more then a media whore like beck! Never trust Tucker Carlson. He will stab ron paul and liberty in the back!

emazur
12-26-2011, 08:51 PM
On the front page, I count 4 anti-Paul stories (1 of them the featured story) and 4 pro-Paul ones.
1. Horrendous
2. Former opponents discuss Ron Paul's racist newsletters
3. Ron Paul is a bigot
4. Ron Paul can’t be allowed to win Iowa

1. The Ron Paul newsletter controversy is a textbook liberal smear campaign
2. Can Ron Paul win the Iowa caucuses?
3. Why I support Ron Paul
4. Ron Paul didn't storm out of CNN interview over racist newsletters

They'll have to do a lot better than that if they want my readership.