PDA

View Full Version : The numerical odds of you being killed in a terrorists attack

TheConstitutionLives
01-06-2010, 08:26 PM
I don't have confirmation of these numbers being accurate since I copied them from multiple blogs so I'm taking their word for it. Pretty interesting nonetheless. (Feel free to add to the list)

Considering all the costs, energy, bloodshed, and liberties lost as a result of preventing death by terrorists attack.

You are 13 times more likely to die in a railway accident than from a terrorist attack

You are 12,571 times more likely to die from cancer than from a terrorist attack

You are 6 times more likely to die from hot weather than from a terrorist attack

You are 8 times more likely to die from accidental electrocution than from a terrorist attack

You are 11,000 times more likely to die in an airplane accident than from a terrorist plot involving an airplane

You are 87 times more likely to drown than die in a terrorist attack

You are 404 times more likely to die in a fall than from a terrorist attack

You are 17,600 times more likely to die from heart disease than from a terrorist attack

You are 1,048 times more likely to die from a car accident than from a terrorist attack

You are 12 times more likely to die from accidental suffocation in bed than from a terrorist attack

You are 9 times more likely to choke to death on your own vomit than die in a terrorist attack

You are 8 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than by a terrorist

The odds of you dying via a terrorists attack are approximately equal that of your odds of dying via an avalanche.

Worth it all?

RM918
01-06-2010, 08:31 PM
I thought avalanche would be way more. Maybe an avalanche in Orlando?

ramallamamama
01-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Wonder how it would compare to getting crushed by a soda machine.

FrankRep
01-06-2010, 09:19 PM
The Power of Nightmares: The Rise of the Politics of Fear

This film explores the origins in the 1940s and 50s of Islamic Fundamentalism in the Middle East, and Neoconservatism in America, parallels between these movements, and their effect on the world today.

Viddler.com - The Power of Nightmares, Part 1 - "Baby, It's Cold Outside" - Uploaded by TomHansen (http://www.viddler.com/explore/TomHansen/videos/27/?advanced=64296d8b?advanced=64296d8b)

IPSecure
01-06-2010, 09:22 PM
So the two PunDitz last night on Larry King, who bragged about knowing people who were killed by terrorists are... rather unique... What are the odds?

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=31018

Dr.3D
01-06-2010, 09:24 PM
This is exactly what I've been thinking right along.

There is absolutely no reason why we the people of the United States, should suffer the loss of our liberties at the hands of our government, just because our government is afraid of terrorists.

All the government is doing right now is playing into the hands of the terrorists. By taking away the liberties of the people of the United States, our government is doing more damage to us than the terrorists ever could. If the terrorists wanted to take away our liberties and enslave our nation, they are doing a great job of it. All they have had to do is get our own government to do the job for them.

Dunedain
01-06-2010, 09:35 PM
At work their is a sign at the front desk that tells us what the terror alert level is.

Imagine if they had an avalanche alert warning.

ramallamamama
01-06-2010, 09:56 PM
http://frysingerreunion.org/1/us/silverton12.jpg

Danke
01-06-2010, 10:06 PM
http://www.lurkertech.com/threat-chart/threatchart.png

awake
01-07-2010, 05:47 AM
Is it worth it all? From the governments perspective, and those who use the police power to paralytically profit themselves at the expense of others, I would have to say it is absolutely worth it to the tax eater class. However, from a taxpayer perspective, the deal is destructively diabolical.

LittleLightShining
01-07-2010, 05:55 AM
Does anyone know where we can get verified statistics? I'd like to write a letter to the editor about this.

eta What I'm looking for is a source for US terrorism-related mortalities. Having a hard time finding that. nationmaster.com is a neat site for other statistics.

BlackTerrel
01-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Considering all the costs, energy, bloodshed, and liberties lost as a result of preventing death by terrorists attack.

There answer would be that if they hadn't done all that your risk of dying by a terrorist attack would be much greater.

dannno
01-07-2010, 01:28 PM
There answer would be that if they hadn't done all that your risk of dying by a terrorist attack would be much greater.

Luckily we have a better, more substantiated argument regarding the causes of terrorism.

idirtify
01-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Does anyone know where we can get verified statistics? I'd like to write a letter to the editor about this.

eta What I'm looking for is a source for US terrorism-related mortalities. Having a hard time finding that. nationmaster.com is a neat site for other statistics.

I debated this a long time ago and looked up some stats. I might still have some of the info somewhere. I’ll look later. But it’s not that hard to verify. Lots of death stats come from government, and terrorist fatalities in this country are so few that it’s possibly the easiest stat to verify. The thread and its creator are very credible. And I hope you do proceed with your letter project. This info is hard data and speaks for itself.

idirtify
01-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Besides lost rights and devastated economies and criminal taxes, the amount of expense and effort and energy spent on “terrorism” is unfathomable.

Here’s are some other stats I would like to see:

How much more likely are you to die in our government’s foreign wars fighting terrorism than in a DOMESTIC (important distinction) terrorist attack?

How much more likely are you to die in our government’s drug war than in a domestic terrorist attack? Make sure to include all fatal victims of all drug-related crime (MOST murders/crimes are drug related).

qh4dotcom
01-07-2010, 06:35 PM
I agree...time for folks to stop freaking out about terrorists.

Zippyjuan
01-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Reason.com has some numbers:
http://reason.com/archives/2006/08/11/dont-be-terrorized
I liked their summary:

It's easy to overreact when an atrocity takes place—to heed those who promise safety if only we will give the authorities the "tools" they want by surrendering to them some of our liberty. As President Franklin Roosevelt in his first inaugural speech said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself— nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance." However, with risks this low there is no reason for us not to continue to live our lives as though terrorism doesn't matter—because it doesn't really matter. We ultimately vanquish terrorism when we refuse to be terrorized.

But if you do want numbers, this guy has a lot more: http://www.writingshop.ws/html/scare_tactics.html

Odds of …
death by assault in your lifetime: 182/1
death by falling : 250/1
death by meteor striking the earth this year: 300/1
death by firearm: 325/1
death by poison: 1,200/1
death in a car crash: 5,000/1
death by choking on food or something else: 5,000/1
death by drowning: 9000/1
death by accidental hanging: 12/000/1
death by murder: 20,000/1
death by an animal drawn vehicle: 31,000/1
death by dog attack: 700,000/1
death in the bathtub: 1,000,000/1
death by a tornado: 2,000,000/1
death by falling out of bed: 2,000,000/1
Odds of being killed in a terrorist WMD attack: 6,000,000/1

BlackTerrel
01-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Luckily we have a better, more substantiated argument regarding the causes of terrorism.

I agree.

LittleLightShining
01-08-2010, 05:06 AM
I debated this a long time ago and looked up some stats. I might still have some of the info somewhere. I’ll look later. But it’s not that hard to verify. Lots of death stats come from government, and terrorist fatalities in this country are so few that it’s possibly the easiest stat to verify. The thread and its creator are very credible. And I hope you do proceed with your letter project. This info is hard data and speaks for itself.

Reason.com has some numbers:
http://reason.com/archives/2006/08/11/dont-be-terrorized
I liked their summary:

But if you do want numbers, this guy has a lot more: http://www.writingshop.ws/html/scare_tactics.html

Thanks, guys!

fj45lvr
01-08-2010, 05:22 AM
depends on where you live

and more importantly what they "attack" with.