PDA

View Full Version : "Negro" appears as race option on 2010 census!

Matt Collins
01-06-2010, 07:17 PM
According to:
http://www.sphere.com/nc/article/negro-appears-as-race-classification-in-2010-census/19305162

As the government prepares to roll out the 2010 Census on March 15, one of the 10 questions on the form already has people cringing. Question 9 asks respondents to designate their race and gives them the option of choosing "Negro," a term many have considered derogatory and antiquated for years.

The question asks "What is person 1's race?" Of the 15 possible options, one is "Black, African Am., or Negro."

The Office of Management and Budget sets racial definitions for the Census Bureau and all federal statistical reporting. In its standards (http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/rewrite/fedreg/ombdir15.html), it says a "Black or African American" person is "A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. Terms such as 'Haitian' or 'Negro' can be used in addition to 'Black or African American.'"

This is silly :rolleyes:

That's our government. We should be proud. :rolleyes: :mad:

JustinTime
01-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Could it be a mix-up with the Spanish version?

squarepusher
01-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Negro is actually a not very offensive term from what i have read (Walter Williams i believe)

Kludge
01-06-2010, 08:55 PM
??? What's the difference between Black and Negro?

Danke
01-06-2010, 09:07 PM

Colour?

Dunedain
01-06-2010, 09:10 PM
It is more scientific than black. "Negroid" is a racial category. Black is simply slang that is politically correct.

sofia
01-06-2010, 09:23 PM
When the founders put the census in the constitution, it was in a day and age when ya had to physically count people in order to get an idea of how many there were in a state or district.

Today, with computerized birth records, death records, tax records, social security records, school records etc.......it is absolutely ridiculous to spend billions of dollars to employ door-to-door head counters whose work may not even be as accurate as the aforementioned methods!!

What a joke....I'm not a big fan of constitutional amendments....but this is one case where we need an amendment to get rid of this door-to-door nonsense.

JustinTime
01-06-2010, 09:28 PM
You know, theres a real simple solution for this, DONT ASK ABOUT RACE!!

Dunedain
01-06-2010, 09:32 PM

but then how will they establish their diversity quotas?

revolutionisnow
01-06-2010, 09:40 PM
So 3 categories for blacks, and none for Arab......hmm

james1906
01-06-2010, 10:16 PM
So 3 categories for blacks, and none for Arab......hmm

probably for the best.....you don't want to get your phones tapped

brandon
01-06-2010, 10:18 PM

English vs Spanish?

tangent4ronpaul
01-06-2010, 10:24 PM
It is more scientific than black. "Negroid" is a racial category. Black is simply slang that is politically correct.

exactly - negroid or ****** are both derived from the Spanish word negra - meaning black.

political correctness gone insane....

-t

Matt Collins
01-06-2010, 10:27 PM
exactly - negroid or ****** are both derived from the Spanish word negra - meaning black.

political correctness gone insane....

-t
As opposed to "niggard"
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/niggard

james1906
01-06-2010, 10:30 PM
I'll mark this, as I'm enjoying one right now...

http://thatotherpaper.com/files/shiner_bohemian_black.jpg

Dunedain
01-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Can I get some media coverage because I don't like the classification "white"? I'm really offended, and upset...really.

...and I can do a great "righteous indignation" look for the camera. I will go for this look.
http://www.whudat.com/news/images/al_sharpton_big.jpg
;

Dunedain
01-06-2010, 10:36 PM
As opposed to "niggard"

Niggardly is effectively banned as a word....
"Niggardly” was a politically incorrect mishap in the offing. In 1999, Caucasian David Howard, a top aide to Washington Mayor Anthony Williams, announced to a black colleague during a committee meeting “I will have to be niggardly with this fund because it’s not going to be a lot of money.”

Are we to ban referring to the country of "Niger", next.

Matt Collins
01-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Niggardly is effectively banned as a word....
"Niggardly” was a politically incorrect mishap in the offing. In 1999, Caucasian David Howard, a top aide to Washington Mayor Anthony Williams, announced to a black colleague during a committee meeting “I will have to be niggardly with this fund because it’s not going to be a lot of money.”Yes I couldn't recall the specifics (I was still in high school then) but absolutely that's the case that ran through my mind as I was posting that.

phill4paul
01-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Do they have an option for Mutt? That'd be me. The best of breeds.:D

SamuraisWisdom
01-07-2010, 01:08 AM

Go up to a black person and call them a Negro, see what happens to you.

RideTheDirt
01-07-2010, 02:32 AM
Anyone offended should also be offended that they paid for all the ink and paper.

bobbyw24
01-07-2010, 05:38 AM
Question #9 Causes Uproar, Asks For Citizens To Pick 'Black,' 'African American' Or 'Negro' From Same Box

Christine Sloan NEW YORK (CBS) ―

The 2010 census form offers "negro" as a race choice. The option has angered many who find the word offensive.

The 2010 U.S. census form includes the word "negro" in a question about race. Do you think the word "negro" should be dropped from the census form?

It's a word that many African Americans associate with segregation, so imagine how shocked many were to see it on the 2010 U.S. census form.

"The fact that it's 2010 and they're still putting 'negro,' I am a little offended," said Secaucus resident Dawud Ingram.

Question #9 on the this year's census asks about your race. One of the boxes you can choose is "black," "African American," or "negro," all placed next to the same box. Ingram said it's not a word he uses to identify neither himself nor anybody else.

"African Americans haven't been going by the term 'negro' for decades now. It's really confusing," he said.

But census officials disagree, saying they found some older African Americans identify themselves that way and they're trying to be inclusive. In a statement, they said: "Results from the census in 2000 showed that a number of respondents provided a write-in response of 'negro' when answering the question on race."

In fact, Congress approved the form more than a year ago. Newark resident Jabbar Ali can't believe it.

"I thought it was something we left behind a long time ago – the word 'negro,'" said Ali.

Chanou Wilshire said the census form doesn't give her an option since it's got "African American," "black," and "negro" next to the same box.

"It's highly offensive," she told CBS 2.

But not everyone is offended.

"How you define yourself I guess is subjective. But for me, that on a form doesn't offend me at all," said Brooklyn resident Tiffany Campbell.

Others don't understand why the question of race has to come up on any form.

"I'm an American. What's wrong with just being an American?" asked Newark resident Derri Gowns.

Census bureau officials said they're preparing for the 2020 form, asking folks now in a questionnaire whether the word 'negro' should be removed.

kathy88
01-07-2010, 05:41 AM
Out of control. Waste of time, money and energy.

Romulus
01-07-2010, 07:08 AM
Go up to a black person and call them a Negro, see what happens to you.

The gov has essentially done this. :confused: This cant go over very well.

They might as well add Kike, Dego, Chinck, Slope, Spic, Kraut, Honkey.

MelissaWV
01-07-2010, 07:17 AM
I will join the offended camp... as soon as we get rid of the "United Negro College Fund."

james1906
01-07-2010, 07:46 AM
I will join the offended camp... as soon as we get rid of the "United Negro College Fund."

Yeah, and the NAACP

Romulus
01-07-2010, 07:56 AM

lolz. See if I was black, that would be somewhat offensive me though, because and ONLY because of the stigma attached to the slur.

james1906
01-07-2010, 07:58 AM
I do enjoy one of these. Am I racist?

http://www.bobricca.com/beerofthemonth/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/negramodelo1.jpg

Romulus
01-07-2010, 08:00 AM
I do enjoy one of these. Am I racist?

Yes. yes you are.

Danke
01-07-2010, 08:48 AM

YouTube - Shiiiiiiit, Negro! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paw_2EJBzFs)

Matt Collins
01-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Do they have an option for Mutt? That'd be me. The best of breeds.:DI'm Heinz 57 / Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors myself :p

But in all seriousness, why does that matter? :rolleyes:

ItsTime
01-07-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm Heinz 57 / Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors myself :p

But in all seriousness, why does that matter? :rolleyes:

Because they want to control how you feel based on words not actions.

"Sticks and stones...." They want to keep blacks and for that matter all Americans children that get upset over words.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
01-07-2010, 11:44 AM
I just dont find the world offensive. Is it a word I like? Not really, but is it offensive, not at all. My dad calls me a negro all the time when he says "Negro Please!"

I dont understand why the govt has to know you racial make up anyways. At what point will all this crap become irrelevant?

MelissaWV
01-07-2010, 11:49 AM
I just dont find the world offensive. Is it a word I like? Not really, but is it offensive, not at all. My dad calls me a negro all the time when he says "Negro Please!"

I dont understand why the govt has to know you racial make up anyways. At what point will all this crap become irrelevant?

Support will always be around as long as someone has some belief that checking a certain box might bring them benefits. The categories are absolute bunk, mingling ethnicity, skin color, and religion (depending on the form you're filling out). Every single census question should have an "I decline to answer" to it. The only trouble is, for it to "work," you'd need to still fill in your address (otherwise the blank ones would never be counted). Still, how many "none of your business" votes would there be over the years? :) One can dream.

fisharmor
01-07-2010, 12:04 PM
I work with three bona fide African-Americans: American citizens who were born in Africa.
The brothers who were born in Sierra Leone are as black as the ace of spades.
The guy born in Morocco, however, is an Arab who is whiter than I am.

I especially enjoyed the episodes in the past when the Moroccan guy would start spouting off about how all the blacks in Africa are animals.

Now how the hell would you describe that situation and still be PC about it? One African-American was claiming that two other African-Americans are lesser forms of human? What information does "African-American" convey then? Not much.

And what does it say about the quality of the census data, since all three can rightfully check that box, yet there's a white-skinned racist among them?

Bucjason
01-07-2010, 02:11 PM
I would be more offended by the term African-american. Most black people are COUNTLESS generations removed from Africa.... not to mention not all black people are from Africa. Here in florida there are alot of Haitians who are black.

Why do we still have to tie them to Africa ?? I am fine being called white , and I would think it stupid if I was forced to refer to myself as Italian-American...even though I am generations removed from my ancestors who came here from there.

Can't we all just be Americans??

Daamien
01-07-2010, 02:23 PM
The government shouldn't be in the business of collecting racial statistics anyway, no matter how the questions are worded.

Matt Collins
03-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Has anyone received one of these forms to see if it's accurate?

LibForestPaul
03-13-2010, 10:42 AM
I believe all non-religious whites should check African American.

P.S.

African American, not African-american.
Also,
Not White-American, or Black-American ... just words remember, just words.

TC95
03-13-2010, 10:51 AM

Exactly. Who cares what color the people are who live here? I sure don't. I swear the government is full of freakin' racists.

johngr
03-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Indian "black"
http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/images/patients_community/mother_babies_india.jpg

Australoid "blacks"
http://www.worldproutassembly.org/images/aborigines_5.jpg

Sub-saharan African "blacks" (a. k. a., "Negroes")
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:RpXuKjDsC8OSkM:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Somali_bantu_children_florida.jpg

BTW, some white guys will steal your hubcaps
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:E4sHdwe0B_8VtM:http://jerrybrice.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/albino_african_americans.jpg