PDA

View Full Version : 9th Cir Ct of Appeals Rules Felons in Prison May Vote: More Democrats in Pipeline

bobbyw24
01-06-2010, 02:16 PM
OLYMPIA, Wash. — Incarcerated felons should be allowed to vote in Washington to ensure that racial minorities are protected under the Voting Rights Act, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday.

The 2-1 ruling by a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals means the more than 18,000 felons behind bars in the state could get back their right to vote – without having to wait until they are released from prison and are no longer on probation or parole. The ruling also could open the door to similar lawsuits in the 9th Circuit's eight other states and two territories.

The issues it raises about racial bias in the justice system are not unique to Washington, said Marc Mauer, executive director of The Sentencing Project, a Washington, D.C., group promoting sentencing reform.

"They are issues that permeate the justice system and are relevant in every state," he said, adding that an estimated 5.3 million people nationwide are ineligible to vote because of felony convictions.

The panel's ruling overturned a 2000 decision by a district judge in Spokane. That judge had found that Washington's felon disenfranchisement law didn't violate the Voting Rights Act, and had dismissed a lawsuit filed by a former prison inmate from Bellevue.

The two appellate judges ruled that disparities in the state's justice system "cannot be explained in race-neutral ways."

Of the more than 18,000 felons in state custody in Washington who could get back their right to vote, 37.1 percent are minorities. Of that group, blacks make up the largest percentage, at 19.2 percent.

Tuesday's ruling affects only Washington state but could be the basis for litigation in any area covered by the 9th Circuit – Oregon, Idaho, Montana, California, Nevada, Arizona, Alaska, Hawaii, Guam and the Northern Marianas, said Janelle Guthrie, spokeswoman for Attorney General Rob McKenna.

Story continues below

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/05/felons-in-prison-should-b_n_412593.html

NerveShocker
01-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Hmm you're not free but your vote counts.. when did this happen before, oh I remember. Doesn't their vote only count as three-fifths then?

jmdrake
01-06-2010, 02:23 PM
This will obviously be appealed and based on the current composition of the court most likely be overturned. Sotamayor being a former prosecutor would also likely vote to overturn. Still the smart thing to do would be to get candidates running in Washington that have Ron Paul's view on the drug war. ;)

bobbyw24
01-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Still the smart thing to do would be to get candidates running in Washington that have Ron Paul's view on the drug war. ;)

Good point, my friend. Thanks for reminding me

On Drugs: Repeal most federal drug laws; blacks are treated unfairly

Q: If you are elected president in 2008, what positive and significant legacy, if any, will you leave for Black Americans?

A: I would like to believe that if we had a freer society, it would take care of Blacks and whites and everybody equally because we're all individuals. To me, that is so important. But if we had equal justice under the law, I think it would be a big improvement. If we had probably a repeal of most of the federal laws on drugs and the unfairness on how Blacks are treated with these drugs laws, it would be a tremendous improvement. And also, I think that if you're going to have prosperity, it serves everybody. And if this is done by emphasizing property rights and freedom of the individuals, making sure that the powerful special interests don't control Washington, that the military industrial complex doesn't suck away all the wealth of the country, and then we would have prosperity.

Source: 2007 GOP Presidential Forum at Morgan State University Sep 27, 2007

Reason
01-06-2010, 02:31 PM
I don't see why a citizen shouldn't be able to vote.

NerveShocker
01-06-2010, 02:39 PM
I don't see why a citizen shouldn't be able to vote.

You give that right up by breaking the law and violating somebody else's rights.

Reason
01-06-2010, 03:52 PM
You give that right up by breaking the law and violating somebody else's rights.

I guess I have mixed feelings about this considering the number of illegitimate "crimes" that the vast majority of people are locked up for as well as the number of people who are falsely convicted.

risk_reward
01-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Hmmm, seems the message of freedom delivered carefully would be mighty persuasive to this voting block. :D

Time for some Washington freedom lovers to take one for the team and get some prison time.

painter4Ron Paul
01-06-2010, 06:52 PM
We all

Dianne
01-06-2010, 07:03 PM
lmao !!!!! only way obama can get re-elected is to get more felons like himself the right to vote.. WTG ACORN lolol

Felons voting is bullshit.. Why don't we just ask Iran to vote in the next election. How about working, thinking peeps earning an honest wage tell that bastard, nooooooo I'm not going to spend $1,000. per month to bail out insurance companies. What does a felon sitting in prison know about the outside working world and the corruption taking place here?

Dianne
01-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Keep in mind, ACORN bought votes for Insane Obama for a pint of liquor. You want them to buy him millions of votes with 30 cents in prison? That is about what they make, 30 cents per hour handscraping hardwood flooring. So give them 40 cents per hour, with the promise to vote for Obama.

Do you want Obama to be King of the United States? Or do you want him voted out, as he should be.