PDA

View Full Version : RNC Steele chairman doubts GOP will win back the House this November

bobbyw24
01-05-2010, 10:18 AM
By Bob Cusack - 01/05/10 08:18 AM ET

RNC Chairman Michael Steele said Monday night that he doesn't think Republicans will win control of the House in 2010 .

Asked by Sean Hannity on the Fox News Channel whether he believes the GOP is going to take over the House, the chairman of the Republican National Committee responded, "Not this year."

Pressed on his prediction, Steele later said, "I don't know yet."

Steele said, "We're going to see, I think, nice pickups in the House," but added it is difficult to provide a number because it is still early in the 2010 cycle.

Other Republicans, including House Minority Whip Eric Cantor (Va.) and House Chief Deputy Whip Kevin McCarthy (Calif.), have expressed more optimism about the chances the GOP will retake the lower chamber this year.

Hannity urged Steele on Monday night to draft a new Contract with America before the November elections.

Steele did not completely commit to a new contract, but said, "I think you're going to a see a definitive document with clear definitions of who we are."
Source:
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/74277-rnc-chairman-doubts-gop-will-win-back-house-in-2010

Valli6
01-05-2010, 10:27 AM
"Contract with America"? :mad: What's the constitution?!

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-05-2010, 10:28 AM
For the love of god, no Contract with America, unless that contract is the strict constructionist view of the Constitution. IE dismantle Standing Armies, dismantle Welfare State, and abolish all taxation, abolish the Fed, restore gold/silver - competing currency, etc.

Now after that then we can get to the meat which is reducing it even further :p

Original_Intent
01-05-2010, 10:30 AM
One of the few smart moves M.S. has made - keep expectations low.

Frankly I don't care if we have Ds, Rs or Is in the House and Senate, I just want people that will follow the Constitution regardless of party affiliation.

bobbyw24
01-06-2010, 06:04 AM
By Michael O'Brien - 01/05/10 06:27 PM ET
Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairman Michael Steele backed off his suggestion on Tuesday that Republicans can't win back control of Congress this fall.

"I gave, I think, an honest analysis of the situation," Steele said during an interview on MSNBC. "I agree with the NRCC and the NRSC and others around in the party who believe that we have real shots this November, and I'm playing to win as well."

When asked Steele during an interview on Fox News on Monday whether the GOP could take back Congress, the party chairman conceded, "Not this year."

That gaffe ignited some dyspepsia among Republicans, who have been hopeful of their chances in the 2010 midterm elections, and have cashed in on a sense of momentum heading into the election year.

"Yes, we can," Steele said on Tuesday when pressed on whether the GOP will win back the House, before adding: "I think we can."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/74435-steele-backs-off-claim-that-gop-cant-win-back-the-house

speciallyblend
01-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Steele is a neo-con ,nothing more. he must go along with 70% of gop leadership!!! until then i plan to keep the gop in the minority and if they do not shape up. I hope they become a marginalized 3rd party in colorado..

kahless
01-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Hannity urged Steele on Monday night to draft a new Contract with America before the November elections.

Hannity continues to prove himself to be a fraud of a Conservative to those that actually know what the "Contract with America" and Newt Gingrich was/is all about.