PDA

View Full Version : how do ballots or propositions work?

cbc58
01-05-2010, 07:49 AM
the thought occurred to me that instead of trying to scatter and connect with voters all over the place.... if we can get some changes placed on the ballot for voter approval they would have to address them and it may be more likely to change the laws. it would generate a ton of free publicity also.

we can vote principaled people in... but if there is too much opposition from other politicians then laws won't change. if we put items on the ballot that can change laws... that may be another way to go. we have time before the midterm election and then can really gear up for 2012.

how does that work? getting items on the ballot (local, county, state, federal) so voters have to either approve them or not?

pardon me if I'm using the wrong terminology... early.

LittleLightShining
01-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Your state Constitution needs to allow for a binding referendum. We're working on a petition drive for this in VT but it requires an amendment to the Constitution which will take 5 years to accomplish here.

Some states already have binding referendums, some localities and counties do, too. It all depends on where you live.

cbc58
01-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Tks. How about at the federal level? Say we want to have a petition to limit congressional terms or change something? is there a website or information source you could direct me to?

Does anyone think this is a good enough idea that it should be researched to see if a formal working group could be setup?

I can get a bunch of republicans, democrats, RP's, and others in a room and they can all have different ideas and political philosophys and will vote for different people........ but they will all share some common threads for fixing the system. that's what we need to tackle - the common threads where we can get universal backing. it would be a start.

FindLiberty
01-05-2010, 09:30 AM
nice history of the state-by-state process here - may not be completely up to date for each state. Not sure about the fed level aspect, interesting.

http://www.iandrinstitute.org/New%20IRI%20Website%20Info/Drop%20Down%20Boxes/Quick%20Facts/History%20of%20I&R.pdf