PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming being blamed for cold temps! LOL

sofia
01-04-2010, 10:57 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/03/peru-mountain-farmers-winter-cold

Peru's mountain people face fight for survival in a bitter winter

Climate change is bringing freezing temperatures to poor villages where families have long existed on the margins of survival. Now some must choose whether to save the animals that give them a living, or their children

The few hundred people who live here are hardened to poverty and months of sub-zero temperatures during the long winter. But, for the fourth year running, the cold came early. First their animals and now their children are dying and in such escalating numbers that many fear that life in the village may be rapidly approaching an end.

In a world growing ever hotter, Huancavelica is an anomaly. These communities, living at the edge of what is possible, face extinction because of increasingly cold conditions in their own microclimate, which may have been altered by the rapid melting of the glaciers.

tmosley
01-04-2010, 11:02 PM
War is peace
Freedom is slavery
Warm is ... cold?

JeNNiF00F00
01-04-2010, 11:04 PM
That makes no freakin sense at all. If glaciers are melting because of warming how the hell is that going to COOL things?

sofia
01-04-2010, 11:07 PM
That makes no freakin sense at all. If glaciers are melting because of warming how the hell is that going to COOL things?

Here's my theory...The melted glaciers create streams of cold water, which impact surface temps wherever they flow.
:rolleyes:

Give me a few million dollars in research grants and some media PR.....and I bet I can recruit a bunch of crooked scientists to sell that whopper.

Anti Federalist
01-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Ummm, Peru is below the equator.

It's summer there.

Am I missing something here?

puppetmaster
01-04-2010, 11:09 PM
makes me want to cry. the pukes will swallow this up!!

FindLiberty
01-04-2010, 11:32 PM
I need to find old 1950's time lapse pictures of the Ice Caps on Mars...
NASA probably erased them too, along with IR temps and other
measurements of the other planets in our solar system.

I recall seeing 1yr Mars photo composites, but a 10+ or a 50 year sequence
would be very illuminating as far as solar output changes go, as they would
track any ice cap size trends on the planets with ice caps or
other visible temperature driven changes over their "year" (sampled over
a few decades).

Those solar changes effect ALL the planets in our solar system. I think
this tracks with the sun spot / sun output cycles. It's beyond our control
of course, but they still want us all to ignore the Email lies and fudged data, and...

BE AFRAID: Ice age, Earth pole reversal and climate changes all
require more government power and taxation.
Do it NOW, for the children.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Here's my theory...The melted glaciers create streams of cold water, which impact surface temps wherever they flow.
:rolleyes:

Give me a few million dollars in research grants and some media PR.....and I bet I can recruit a bunch of crooked scientists to sell that whopper.

um . . . .

thats sort of a scientifically sound premise.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-04-2010, 11:55 PM

because streams of cold water and ice are now moving downstream to areas they previously would not have been

dannno
01-05-2010, 12:06 AM

It's summer there.

The article was printed YESTERDAY.

Get Alex Jones on this one, I think we have a major propaganda screw up here...

torchbearer
01-05-2010, 12:29 AM

It's summer there.

The coldest place on earth is on the equator in Ecuador. (on Mount Cayambe)

dannno
01-05-2010, 12:44 AM

Can they call it "winter" when it's in Peru?

You sure this isn't contrived?

ramallamamama
01-05-2010, 12:44 AM

D'oh!

torchbearer
01-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Can they call it "winter" when it's in Peru?

You sure this isn't contrived?

I wouldn't think seasons would matter on the equator region. the temps should be the same year-round.

dannno
01-05-2010, 12:48 AM
I wouldn't think seasons would matter on the equator region. the temps should be the same year-round.

This is southern Peru.. how can they call it winter??

http://www.maplandia.com/peru/huancavelica/

dannno
01-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Hmm ya the equator is further south than I remembered, but this is far enough south I still wouldn't call it winter during this season.. but I guess I'm not the climate.

paulitics
01-05-2010, 05:16 AM

Doing a quick google search this is not true. Mount Cayambe is the coldest place on the equator. It's damn cold, but no way is it as cold as mountainous regions in northern asia, or antartica. Big difference.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Mount+Cayambe++%22coldest+place+on+earth%22&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Brooklyn Red Leg
01-05-2010, 05:54 AM
um . . . .

Ummm...its missing the proper Cause-to-Effect. The oceans warming/cooling cycles aren't linked to man-made pollution. They're linked to the Solar Cycle and how many trillions of charged particles get thrown out of the Sun to strike the Earth.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Ummm...its missing the proper Cause-to-Effect. The oceans warming/cooling cycles aren't linked to man-made pollution. They're linked to the Solar Cycle and how many trillions of charged particles get thrown out of the Sun to strike the Earth.

thats not the premise under discussion though

We are discussing whether or not melting glaciers could cause a region to experience lower temperatures.

Bucjason
01-05-2010, 07:17 AM
They want us to believe the polar ice-caps are melting , and last night it got below freezing here in Tampa Florida !!

Are you freakin kidding me??? Maybe we can just move those ice-caps temporarily to Florida...

Bucjason
01-05-2010, 07:21 AM

Yes , maybe the New World Order has secretly shifted the world's axis without our knowing...im sure this would be Alex Jone's theory. LOL :D

angelatc
01-05-2010, 07:52 AM
They want us to believe the polar ice-caps are melting , and last night it got below freezing here in Tampa Florida !!

Are you freakin kidding me??? Maybe we can just move those ice-caps temporarily to Florida...

Tampa is usually good for a night or two of below freezing weather every year though. That's certainly not a sign of change.

Southron
01-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Anyone else think we need to declare a preemptive war on the sun? The security of the world depends on it!

torchbearer
01-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Anyone else think we need to declare a preemptive war on the sun? The security of the world depends on it!

the latest fear tactic bubbling up is that of a nearby star going super nova. talk about global warming.
i'm sure they find a reason to tax us for it.

jmdrake
01-05-2010, 10:13 AM
because streams of cold water and ice are now moving downstream to areas they previously would not have been

The story was about the mountain areas of Peru. Streams do not flow up a mountain.

Son of Liberty 2
01-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Global cooling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling)

RyanRSheets
01-05-2010, 10:29 AM
People keep hurting themselves falling. We need to get everyone a pair of stilts.

RyanRSheets
01-05-2010, 10:30 AM
The story was about the mountain areas of Peru. Streams do not flow up a mountain.

They do in bizzaro world, AKA present day Earth.

GunnyFreedom
01-05-2010, 10:42 AM

Sunshine (2007) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/) :D

Todd
01-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Wasn't the initial global cooling also the consensus of the movie "The Day after Tomorrow". That Global warming would at first cause an ice age?

The Day After Tomorrow is a 2004 American science-fiction film that depicts the catastrophic effects of both global warming and global cooling in a series of extreme weather events that usher in a new ice age.

Bossobass
01-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Al Gore cancelled his speaking tour. Eliminated a shit load of hot air.

Bosso

Cowlesy
01-05-2010, 11:56 AM

Absolutely. The sun hates Freedom, and McDonalds.

jmdrake
01-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Wasn't the initial global cooling also the consensus of the movie "The Day after Tomorrow". That Global warming would at first cause an ice age?

Yeah. That was a preemptive strike by the propagandists on our common sense. To think I fell for that crap. :(

Bucjason
01-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Tampa is usually good for a night or two of below freezing weather every year though. That's certainly not a sign of change.

Cold, but rarely to the freezing point

but that is my point anyways, warming would require a change...

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-05-2010, 02:09 PM

please dont act like a moron. You know very well that global warming is a temperature rise of average global temperatures. Ever time winter rolls around, that does not disprove global warming.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Cold, but rarely to the freezing point

but that is my point anyways, warming would require a change...

Let me guess. . . Global warming theory would have you believe that it will be 150 degrees in November in New York City, and Evolution Theory would have you believe an orange is your first cousin and a banana is your nephew.

Zippyjuan
01-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Interesting to note that when it gets colder than average people start to claim that this is proof of global warming as a hoax. Wouldn't it also true then that any days with above average temperatures would be proof that it existed? Neither is proof one way or the other. You have to look at long range data. Climate change is said not to be just warming- some places are supposed to get warmer and drier while others cool and get more moisture. Out west here we are below normal in moisture so far again this year (as we have been for something like eight of the last ten years). Is this proof that global warming does exist?

Projections from the National Weather Service for this winter: http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2009/20091015_winteroutlook.html
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2009/images/winteroutlook_temp_300.jpg

China is also projecting warmer than normal temperatures this winter: http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2009/11/28/234473/Upcoming-winter.htm

Bucjason
01-05-2010, 02:20 PM
please dont act like a moron. You know very well that global warming is a temperature rise of average global temperatures. Ever time winter rolls around, that does not disprove global warming.

1st of all : I was making a joke . Hence suggesting we move the ice caps to Florida. I was not suggesting my comment was scientific, lol.

2nd : warming is still a hoax and a joke and it isn't happening. We all know it.

Bucjason
01-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Interesting to note that when it gets colder than average people start to claim that this is proof of global warming as a hoax. Wouldn't it also true then that any days with above average temperatures would be proof that it existed?

That is precisely what they tell us...as a matter of fact EVERYTHING supposedly proves global warming.

If it's colder- Global warming.

if it's hot - global warming

If there's a drought - Global warming

if there's a flood - Global warming

If there's hurricanes- global warming

If the St. Louis Rams win a game - global warming.

Give me a break , it's a freakin joke already, and I call BULLSHIT.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-05-2010, 02:27 PM
warming is still a hoax and a joke and it isn't happening. We all know it.

This statement is nothing more than gleeful ignorance. Its like you are proud of the fact that you dont understand science.

dannno
01-05-2010, 02:31 PM
This statement is nothing more than gleeful ignorance. Its like you are proud of the fact that you dont understand science.

Where have you been?

Did you completely miss climategate?

Are you aware that the warmest year in the last century was 1934?

Are you aware that we are coming out of a little ice age that centered around the time of the American Revolution (thus the general warming trend) and that we had a long period of warming during medieval times that was much warmer than it is today?

Haven't you heard of all of the NASA and official weather data that was changed, and then the raw data literally thrown out and gone?

To call "global warming theory" science is pretty ridiculous.

Bucjason
01-05-2010, 02:39 PM

I understand enough science to realize that the %2 extra Carbon we add to the atmosphere ( at the MOST) evey year is not enough to destroy the planet.

I also understand enough science to realize that the SUN is what drives temperatures on this planet, not my SUV.

I also understand enough science to realize that an equation as complex as GLOBAL climate is not simple enough to be SETTLED science - as witnessed by the 10's of thousands of scientists who disagree.
http://www.petitionproject.org/

I also undertand that wrecking our entire economy and turning our soveriegnty over to a global governing body in the name of a THEORY is not a wise path to take.

Keep drinking the kool-aid :p

Bucjason
01-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Where have you been?

Are you aware that we are coming out of a little ice age that centered around the time of the American Revolution (thus the general warming trend) and that we had a long period of warming during medieval times that was much warmer than it is today?

Haven't you heard of all of the NASA and official weather data that was changed, and then the raw data literally thrown out and gone?

I'd say he is gleefully ignorant.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-05-2010, 02:45 PM

trivial

so?

so?

trivial

To call observable facts a fraud is pretty ridiculous.

dannno
01-05-2010, 02:48 PM
To call observable facts a fraud is pretty ridiculous.

What observable facts??

My parents friends went down to Antarctica last year and they talked to scientists down there that are saying the ice caps have been building up for years where they are. They aren't shrinking, they get smaller and bigger year around based on the seasons, and in some areas they are shrinking, but other areas they are expanding.

You don't have any facts on your side, stop pretending, or present them.

dannno
01-05-2010, 02:51 PM
The fact is that we can account for a generally warming trend as coming out of a little ice age and the short term changes can be associated with solar flair activity.

Climate change has nothing to do with CO2, it is insignificant.

Even if temps did warm like they did during the medieval warming period, we still wouldn't have rising oceans, because they didn't rise back then either.

There is very little legitimate information contained in the man-made global warming hoax.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-05-2010, 02:54 PM
I understand enough science to realize that the %2 extra Carbon we add to the atmosphere ( at the MOST) evey year is not enough to destroy the planet.

I also understand enough science to realize that the SUN is what drives temperatures on this planet, not my SUV.

Your argument is conflicted. Earlier, you denied that any type of global warming was taking place at all. Now you are arguing that the temperature is warming, but its not man made.

Make up your mind.

And you are still wrong. Solar output alone does not account for global temperatures. Its a combination of many things, including orbital variations, tectonic shifts, thermohaline circulation, and many man made factors, including agriculture, CO2, and deforestation

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-05-2010, 02:57 PM
The fact is that we can account for a generally warming trend as coming out of a little ice age and the short term changes can be associated with solar flair activity.

You better get that straight with your fellow deniers who dont believe that there are any general warming trends at all.

Danke
01-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Solar output alone does not account for global temperatures. Its a combination of many things, including orbital variations, tectonic shifts, thermohaline circulation, and many man made factors, including agriculture, CO2, and deforestation

And then the question would be to what extent are those factors in global warming?

Do you have percentages?

What are humans in this equation? 0.000001%?

sofia
01-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Your argument is conflicted. Earlier, you denied that any type of global warming was taking place at all. Now you are arguing that the temperature is warming, but its not man made.

Make up your mind.

And you are still wrong. Solar output alone does not account for global temperatures. Its a combination of many things, including orbital variations, tectonic shifts, thermohaline circulation, and many man made factors, including agriculture, CO2, and deforestation

Global temps are down over the past 8 years...ice caps ebb and flow from year to year.

The global warming con men blame warm years and shrinking polar caps on global warming.......but then they ignore the cool years and expanding polar caps ...

pure rubbish!

its not science...its SCIENCE FICTION!

dannno
01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
You better get that straight with your fellow deniers who dont believe that there are any general warming trends at all.

Are you talking about the trend over the last 25 seconds? The last 2 weeks? The last year? The last 10 years? Last 100 years?

The trend for the last 10 years, temps are down.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-05-2010, 03:05 PM
And then the question would be to what extent are those factors in global warming?

Do you have percentages?

What are humans in this equation? 0.000001%?

I dont think global warming even matters. It just drives me crazy when people make uneducated assertions, such as the original topic of this thread, denying the concept of melting glaciers causing nearby areas to experience cooling.

Bruno
Global Warming Skeptics Handbook II

http://joannenova.com.au/globalwarming/skeptics-handbook-ii/the_skeptics_handbook_II-sml.pdf

this debunks about every AGW argument out there

Mitt Romneys sideburns
Are you talking about the trend over the last 25 seconds? The last 2 weeks? The last year? The last 10 years? Last 100 years?

The trend for the last 10 years, temps are down.

I was talking about warming and cooling trends in general

awake
01-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Do not take your eyes off the geo-engineering angle. One major environmental 'event' and its 'lets do dump sulfur into the sky and launch trillions of mirrors into space'. Look what they got through with a firecracker in the underwear routine.

stilltrying
01-05-2010, 08:26 PM
What is sciences goal? To be able to predict things (calculate and know natural phenomenon before during and after they occur) and be accurate both short term and long term. So far I haven't seen any accurate weather predictions for three months from now, from three months ago, or ten years from now. Global warming is science and real, alright predict and be right how much rainfall Sacramento California will get this year right now. If you cant do that then it isn't science.

newbitech
01-05-2010, 08:31 PM
That is precisely what they tell us...as a matter of fact EVERYTHING supposedly proves global warming.

If it's colder- Global warming.

if it's hot - global warming

If there's a drought - Global warming

if there's a flood - Global warming

If there's hurricanes- global warming

If the St. Louis Rams win a game - global warming.

Give me a break , it's a freakin joke already, and I call BULLSHIT.

you are from tampa and you rag the Rams, that is... cold..

MN Patriot
01-05-2010, 08:42 PM
The central source of truth for the global warming adherents are the computer climate models. They've been using climate models for quite a few years now, and they all have predicted temperatures would get warmer. Well, the temperatures seem to be getting colder, why don't we hear about the climate models much anymore? Or about their past predictions about what temperatures should be at the present time?

The hoaxsters have fooled the masses with the Mighty Supercomputer argument: supercomputers are always right because they cost millions of dollars and are programmed by brilliant scientists.

stilltrying
01-05-2010, 08:57 PM
The central source of truth for the global warming adherents are the computer climate models. They've been using climate models for quite a few years now, and they all have predicted temperatures would get warmer. Well, the temperatures seem to be getting colder, why don't we hear about the climate models much anymore? Or about their past predictions about what temperatures should be at the present time?

The hoaxsters have fooled the masses with the Mighty Supercomputer argument: supercomputers are always right because they cost millions of dollars and are programmed by brilliant scientists.

As you stated they predicted the temperatures would be getting warmer. Thats a lot of leeway, WARMER BY HOW MUCH? No generalizations I want detailed specifics, for hundreds of cities. If it is off then the model is flawed and in their case fatally because as you stated it is getting colder.

jmdrake
01-05-2010, 09:17 PM

While it's fun to watch to anti conspiracy nuts battle each other over the global warming conspiracy I have to point out that you still haven't explained how melting glaciers running down the mountains cause record freezing on top of the mountains.

MN Patriot
01-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Here is the IPCC's predictions from 2001. The link is: http://www.grida.no/climate/ipcc_tar/wg1/031.htm

I don't see the lines going down, they predicted them to be higher.

http://www.grida.no/climate/ipcc_tar/wg1/images/figts-22.gif

speciallyblend
01-05-2010, 09:49 PM
um . . . .

and in theory those cold currents can cause weather pattern changes, possibly causing glaciers to expand in other areas and causing heat in others, changing climate and weather patterns.
This climate change could cause flooding in many populated areas and icing in other areas and deserts in others.

both sides are full of crap,but reality is mother nature bites back and enjoy;)

either side can argue but reality is be prepared to live beyond your means and be ready to live in extreme climates hot or cold!!!

nature will bite back,no matter what bs comes from both sides. I believe mother nature over either party.....

MichelleHeart
01-05-2010, 09:53 PM
We had an unusually cool summer here in Wisconsin. Our fall was cold, but winter - Jesus Christ. I feel like an icicle as soon as I step out of the door. There were nights where I had to wear a jacket to sleep because my blanket couldn't keep me warm enough.

fj45lvr
01-06-2010, 12:42 AM

the satellite temp data from an article one year ago showed that the S. Hemisphere had no temp increase over the 20 year history of the satellite data and the N. Hemisphere had an average increase of less than 0.5 degree Celsius

whooooeeeeee let's eliminate trillions of dollars of economic productivity to battle less than 1% of the atmosphere to hopefully reduce temperature in the N. Hemisphere by less than 0.5 degrees!!!! (no matter that the resources could actually be spent on REAL problems, environmental not withstanding....No!!! we need more TAXES and revenue for "insiders" to make their fortunes off of).

Mitt Romneys sideburns
01-06-2010, 12:53 AM
I have to point out that you still haven't explained how melting glaciers running down the mountains cause record freezing on top of the mountains.

Again, gleeful ignorance.

These people do not live on top of a mountain peak. They live on a mountain. Glacial ice is in a region at a higher elevation than their villages. As the ice melts and moves further down the mountain, it brings streams of cold water and ice to regions that otherwise would have been warmer.

For example, one area of concern is the effects of melting glaciers in Greenland on the climate of Europe. Melting glaciers dump cold water into the ocean, changing the water circulation of the Gulf Stream, which would have a large effect on the weather in Europe.

hotbrownsauce
01-06-2010, 01:04 AM
Whats that quote Lord Monkton (Mockton?) quoted? "Global warming can mean colder, dryer, hotter, or wetter."

btalex1990
01-06-2010, 05:09 AM

well society anymore makes no sense. These elite people using the environmentalists to make us all suffer or go homeless and die just sucks.

Why does the elite continue to make us suffer without any form of consequences. Wheres Karma? Wheres Al Gores punishment for his deception? Wheres Obamas and Bushs punishment for letting the oil companies skyrocket prices like never before?

The whole system is a failure and I want a change I can believe in!

I want a clean source of heating that requires no expensive bills and allows me to live off the grid. I want heating that requires no resources! Too bad it doesn't exist or is in Area 51 while we suffer with gas bills.

Bucjason
01-06-2010, 06:52 AM
you are from tampa and you rag the Rams, that is... cold..

LOL true...

Bucjason
01-06-2010, 06:59 AM
Mitt claims the sun has nothing to do with temperature, bwahahahahahahaha !!

Enough said.

http://cecaust.com.au/images/front/Global_Warming.png

Bucjason
01-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Welcome to sunny Florida !! Your poster child for global warming :

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Mpd1ozuoa64/Swvngq0K1kI/AAAAAAAABV8/drhGPxkky3s/s1600/Snow+on+palm+trees.jpg

...or NOT :p:p

jmdrake
01-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Again, gleeful ignorance.

These people do not live on top of a mountain peak. They live on a mountain. Glacial ice is in a region at a higher elevation than their villages. As the ice melts and moves further down the mountain, it brings streams of cold water and ice to regions that otherwise would have been warmer.

For example, one area of concern is the effects of melting glaciers in Greenland on the climate of Europe. Melting glaciers dump cold water into the ocean, changing the water circulation of the Gulf Stream, which would have a large effect on the weather in Europe.

And this ice melts in winter oh great wise (really stupid) one?

jmdrake
01-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Welcome to sunny Florida !! Your poster child for global warming :

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Mpd1ozuoa64/Swvngq0K1kI/AAAAAAAABV8/drhGPxkky3s/s1600/Snow+on+palm+trees.jpg

...or NOT :p:p

LOL. Mitt Romney's Stupidness will just claim this is more "gleeful ignorance" because everybody knows that glaciers melting in the Andes will cause snow in Florida.

Zippyjuan
01-06-2010, 04:39 PM
And this ice melts in winter oh great wise (really stupid) one?

Ice can melt any time of year if it is warm enough. Melting ice can start to evaporate which in turn forms clouds or merely haze which reduces the amount of solar radiation reaching ground level and this can cause cooler temperatures.

Once the ice is melted, then there is less humidity and more sun reaches the earth and in these areas it gets hotter. By the way, Alaska has been warmer than normal this year. Is this as much proof of global warming as snow in Florida is proof it is cooling? If one is proof that you are right then you must also accept the other as proof you are wrong.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/Global-Warming/2009/0923/warmer-alaska-winters-let-geese-skip-trip-south

Warmer Alaska winters let geese skip trip south
A study found that up to 30 percent of the geese now forgo migrating to warmer regions of the Pacific coast.

.By Dan Joling Associated Press writer / September 23, 2009

ANCHORAGE, ALASKA
A small Pacific sea goose is finding Alaska winters more to its liking, and a federal study suggests it's due to climate change.

Until recently, 90 percent of the Pacific brant population wintered in Mexico. A US Geological Survey (USGS) study found that up to 30 percent of the geese now forgo warmer regions of the Pacific coast to spend winters in snowy, icy Alaska, trading a long migration for an abundance of food formerly unavailable because it was covered with coastal sea ice.

"It's a general trend that's occurring in the northern hemisphere anyway, that birds are moving north, shifting their distributions," says lead author David Ward of the USGS Alaska Science Center. "In this case, it was a shift in winter distribution."

Brant are herbivores. The shift appears related to changes in the availability of eelgrass, which grows in shallow bays and coves and is their primary food when not breeding. Higher air and water temperatures have reduced Alaska coastal sea ice and made eelgrass accessible for more winter days.

A previous study indicated brant could spend fat reserves on migration or an Alaska winter as long as they had undisturbed access to sufficient amounts of eelgrass, Ward says. That may not have been the case a few decades ago.

Fewer than 3,000 brant were detected wintering in Alaska before 1977. That has jumped to as many as 40,000 birds.