PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft Helps Catch a Crook (But There's a Catch!)

powerofreason
01-04-2010, 09:31 PM
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/warcraft-helps-catch-a-crook/1383804

Excerpt:

Criminals can run, but they can't hide. Especially if they play World of Warcraft.

Just ask Alfred Hightower. Having successfully left the country to avoid being nabbed for dealing drugs, the fugitive figured he was home free. But thanks to his insistence on keeping up with his World of Warcraft habit, Hightower was tracked down by authorities and is now in custody, reports The Kokomo Perspective.

Here's the catch. Alfred Hightower did nothing wrong. He made business deals on a voluntary basis with willing individuals. He benefited, and his customers benefited. He made the world just a little bit happier. And he did it with much personal risk. He is to be commended.

I'd like to know how many folks on RonPaulForums.com support full and total drug legalization today. No restrictions, no taxes, no interfering with free people period. I know I do. I understand the (logical) relationship between liberty, order, and happiness for all non-insane individuals.

ChaosControl
01-04-2010, 09:39 PM
He made the world just a little bit happier
I disagree with this statement.

I support drug legalization, but I think drugs are crap and that it is incredibly stupid to take them. Artificial temporary pleasure is not happiness.

ClayTrainor
01-04-2010, 09:46 PM
In regards to the poll, it's an obvious yes for me.

I support drug legalization, but I think drugs are crap and that it is incredibly stupid to take them. Artificial temporary pleasure is not happiness.

I don't think the article is arguing that the drugs themselves made people happier. It's more about the fact that people are getting the products they wanted. You may disagree with their use, but usually when people get items they want from a marketplace, it makes them a bit happier.

I would also argue that you're using drugs as too broad of a word. Using something like Magic Mushrooms for pleasure is as natural and sensible as having sex for pleasure, or eating a fine meal for pleasure, or jumping out of an airplane for pleasure... etc.

RM918
I believe their use is immoral and very damaging, but I still support complete legalization.

dannno

Do you eat chocolate? Chocolate is really no different than coca leaf or marijuana flowers.

powerofreason
01-04-2010, 09:47 PM

Thats ignorant of you to paint with such a broad brush. Saying drugs are crap is like saying food is crap. Some food is crap. Others are ok in moderation. Some foods are helpful, or practically harmless. The same can be said of drugs.

powerofreason
01-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Do you eat chocolate? Chocolate is really no different than coca leaf or marijuana flowers.

Stoner! Loser! Outcast!

To the (american) gulag with him!

coyote_sprit
01-04-2010, 09:55 PM

Depends who's taking it.

powerofreason
01-04-2010, 09:59 PM
I believe their use is immoral and very damaging, but I still support complete legalization.

The use of caffeine is immoral and very damaging? What about the theobromine in chocolate?

What about a glass of wine?

What about some marijuana?

What about the the responsible cocaine or heroin user who does not let their habit interfere with their responsibilities? Yes, they do exist.

Assuming one has a lot of money and a source of pure heroin, one can inject heroin four times a day or more (every single day), still function at a day job, still be able to drive, and not damage one's body. This is scientific fact.

Show me the damage and the immorality.

FrankRep
01-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Do you support full and total drug legalization (no strings attached)?

It's a State issue. Let people vote on it.

dannno
01-04-2010, 10:02 PM

You can sub in "Do you support full drug legalization in your state?" to the poll.

RM918
01-04-2010, 10:03 PM
The use of caffeine is immoral and very damaging? What about the theobromine in chocolate?

What about a glass of wine?

What about some marijuana?

What about the the responsible cocaine or heroin user who does not let their habit interfere with their responsibilities? Yes, they do exist.

Assuming one has a lot of money and a source of pure heroin, one can inject heroin four times a day or more (every single day), still function at a day job, still be able to drive, and not damage one's body. This is scientific fact.

Show me the damage and the immorality.

I think it tends to be used illicitly and intoxication leads to a lot of stupid decisions. No one ever died or beat their wife after huffing too many Hershey bars. Whatever the case, it's my opinion. You disagree with mine, I disagree with yours, but I won't try to throw you into a jail cell because I disagree with you. I don't see why you're getting so defensive.

ClayTrainor
01-04-2010, 10:04 PM

It's not a states issue, it's a simple property rights issue, imo.

coyote_sprit
01-04-2010, 10:06 PM

What a person does with their own body is up to the majority? And don't say that's Ron's stance because that's an issue I disagree with him on.

powerofreason
01-04-2010, 10:08 PM

What if the people make the wrong choice and good people suffer as a result? Thats horrible. Sure, letting people vote on it is better than nothing. But do you really think that anybody deserves to be imprisoned for an activity that is clearly not wrong, according to logic and reason, under any circumstances? I know I don't.

powerofreason
01-04-2010, 10:16 PM
I think it tends to be used illicitly and intoxication leads to a lot of stupid decisions. No one ever died or beat their wife after huffing too many Hershey bars. Whatever the case, it's my opinion. You disagree with mine, I disagree with yours, but I won't try to throw you into a jail cell because I disagree with you. I don't see why you're getting so defensive.

Whats most important is that you won't throw me in a jail cell for disagreeing with you. Definitely. I just feel that calling drug use "immoral" is arrogant and condescending and done mostly out of ignorance. To me its like saying, "I am a better person than you because I don't use drugs." Thats all. I'll stop here because I don't want to stray from the main point of legalization.

ChaosControl
01-04-2010, 10:21 PM
In regards to the poll, it's an obvious yes for me.

I don't think the article is arguing that the drugs themselves made people happier. It's more about the fact that people are getting the products they wanted. You may disagree with their use, but usually when people get items they want from a marketplace, it makes them a bit happier.

I would also argue that you're using drugs as too broad of a word. Using something like Magic Mushrooms for pleasure is as natural and sensible as having sex for pleasure, or eating a fine meal for pleasure, or jumping out of an airplane for pleasure... etc.

I disagree that it is just as natural sensible.

ChaosControl
01-04-2010, 10:21 PM

No. Converting from Vegetarian diet to a Vegan whole foods raw diet.

ChaosControl
01-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Thats ignorant of you to paint with such a broad brush. Saying drugs are crap is like saying food is crap. Some food is crap. Others are ok in moderation. Some foods are helpful, or practically harmless. The same can be said of drugs.

What is a positive use of a drug?

Doesn't matter if it is LCD or Caffeine, if it is Tylenol or XTC. They all suck.

ClayTrainor
01-04-2010, 10:24 PM
I disagree that it is just as natural sensible.
based on...

brandon
01-04-2010, 10:24 PM

It's not a state issue to me. I own my body. Not a state. Period.

ClayTrainor
01-04-2010, 10:25 PM

Doesn't matter if it is LCD or Caffeine, if it is Tylenol or XTC. They all suck.

DMT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyltryptamine), even you gain the positive effects from using this one every night. It will also be the very last thing you experience in your life.

ChaosControl
01-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Whats most important is that you won't throw me in a jail cell for disagreeing with you. Definitely. I just feel that calling drug use "immoral" is arrogant and condescending and done mostly out of ignorance. To me its like saying, "I am a better person than you because I don't use drugs." Thats all. I'll stop here because I don't want to stray from the main point of legalization.

Arrogant? Possibly, depending on who is saying it and why. But it doesn't have to be.

Condescending? Probably, yes.

Done of out ignorance? Not really, although that is possible in some cases as well. Of course that is an argument a lot of people use for when someone thinks what they are doing is wrong.

It isn't whether the anti-drug person thinks they are better than the user, it is that they think the user is making a mistake. Just because someone makes a mistake doesn't mean they are a bad or a worse person, it just means they are human and make choices that aren't necessarily in their best interests.

I think a lot of things are wrong or immoral, it doesn't mean I think people who do those things are bad or lower people, it just means I think they are doing something that isn't good for them, but as long as you don't harm another person you should be allowed to do them.

powerofreason
01-04-2010, 10:29 PM

Sounds like your argument is emotional and not fact based.

Positive use of a drug? There are countless positive uses of drugs. A stimulant to help overcome ADD. An LSD trip in the proper setting to entertain and enlighten. A marijuana cigarette for stress relief. Ecstasy for a fun night of partying with friends.

ChaosControl
01-04-2010, 10:32 PM
based on...

A mind altering substance that is most likely taken so someone gets some kind of high compared with someone consuming an item to gain nutrients needed to maintain a healthy life or engaging in the action required to procreate.

How is it even remotely on the same level in terms of being as normal as sensible. Eating and sex are necessities for the survival of the human species.

FindLiberty
01-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Yes, legalize them all.

Don't forget to make ALL antibiotics OTC legal in order to reduce health care costs.

http://domsoutdoor.com/images/200/1066007.jpg...and legalize local anesthetic injection drugs
to go with these DIY Suture/Syringe Kits, they should all be street legal too.

I really want to keep a couple doses of Dilaudid (Hydromorphone Hydrochloride) real handy

http://www.elderstore.com/images/products/Apothecary%20ProductsHA/91415m_medium.jpg

in case I have another kidney stone try to pass that becomes OH SO PAINFULLY lodged in my
ureter (before I can get to a hospital with a laser...), otherwise, I have no interest in using/keeping
any (recreational) drugs myself. But, just legalize them all in any case!

(Oh yea, bring back Freon 12 to the open market too. I'd spray it around as a BS repellent
to protect myself from those central planner statists that have helped get us into this mess.)

ChaosControl
01-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Sounds like your argument is emotional and not fact based.

Meh, every argument is emotion for the most part. Humans are emotion. Without it, we have no purpose, it is what makes us what we are.

A drug is used why?

To keep someone awake? The body needs sleep, it is not good to keep it awake, if one is tired they should rest.

To make someone "happy" or feel good? There is a reason they are unhappy, instead of treating the symptom, they should discover the cause and address that in the appropriate way.

Drugs have no purpose. They are bad for society.

Original_Intent
01-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Here's the catch. Alfred Hightower did nothing wrong. He made business deals on a voluntary basis with willing individuals. He benefited, and his customers benefited. He made the world just a little bit happier. And he did it with much personal risk. He is to be commended.

Drug dealers are to be commended, now? Give me a fucking break! Yes, I would support the legalize all drugs, but this kind of assinine comment/(belief?!?) well it is no wonder big "L" libertarians can't get anyone elected.

All drugs should be legalized - fine.
Drug dealers should be commended - idiotic statement, I can only hope included as flame bait and not really believed.

ClayTrainor
01-04-2010, 10:46 PM
A mind altering substance that is most likely taken so someone gets some kind of high compared with someone consuming an item to gain nutrients needed to maintain a healthy life or engaging in the action required to procreate.

1. I said sex for pleasure, not sex simply to reproduce.

2. I said food for pleasure, not food for nutrients. Do you ever have desert? Do you ever eat things for the taste?

How is it even remotely on the same level in terms of being as normal as sensible. Eating and sex are necessities for the survival of the human species.Can I assume you don't have sex for pleasure, or eat certain foods for the taste?

Here's something i recommend you watch to gain some perspective on my view, if you're interested. Tell me if you think taking mushrooms was a good thing for the cancer stricken woman in the following story, or not.

YouTube - Psilocybin and Cancer Anxiety - Part 2 of 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV-j2JhoVEk&feature=related)

dannno
01-04-2010, 10:47 PM
No. Converting from Vegetarian diet to a Vegan whole foods raw diet.

Can't you have some form of chocolate almond milk? Chocolate Almond milk is delicious....

powerofreason
01-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Meh, every argument is emotion for the most part.

I strongly disagree. Which argument sounds superior to you:

People are free because freedom leads to order and happiness, things every sane person desires.

OR

People are free because I really like freedom and I think therefore you should too.

Humans are emotion. Without it, we have no purpose, it is what makes us what we are.

Emotion is a vital part of the human experience, no doubt.

A drug is used why?

To keep someone awake? The body needs sleep, it is not good to keep it awake, if one is tired they should rest.

Sometimes it is highly desirable to stay awake when one is tired. What is better, getting fired because you get caught sleeping at your desk at work, or taking a stimulant and maintaining your ability to feed your body when its hungry?

To make someone "happy" or feel good? There is a reason they are unhappy, instead of treating the symptom, they should discover the cause and address that in the appropriate way.

Why can't the reason that they are unhappy be because of a chemical imbalance in the brain?

Even the ones naturally produced in your brain? Your brain is a drug factory, you know. Constantly cranking out serotonin, dopamine, even small amounts of the most powerful hallucinogen known to man, DMT (dimethyltryptamine). You get to experience it full blast before you die. Or earlier, if you desire.

BuddyRey
01-04-2010, 11:27 PM
The "War on Drugs" is really just a war on *people.*

You own your own life, body, and consciousness. To say that any individual or group of individuals has the privilege to circumvent this most basic of all your human rights is to advocate the most egregious form of human cruelty.

powerofreason
01-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Great poll result so far. Bump for more votes.

Kludge
01-05-2010, 04:04 PM
No. Tax 'em... a lot.

LibertyEagle
01-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Drug dealers are to be commended, now? Give me a fucking break! Yes, I would support the legalize all drugs, but this kind of assinine comment/(belief?!?) well it is no wonder big "L" libertarians can't get anyone elected.

All drugs should be legalized - fine.
Drug dealers should be commended - idiotic statement, I can only hope included as flame bait and not really believed.

Yeah, you shot your own self in the foot there, powerofreason.

powerofreason
01-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Yeah, you shot your own self in the foot there, powerofreason.

Glad you think so. The average drug dealer is a good person trying to make a little extra money by selling marijuana. They provide a desired product to their communities, but in doing so risk being assaulted, kidnapped and held prisoner, or sometimes even killed. And they deny the government killing and pillaging machine tax revenue. The peaceful drug dealer is a hero of the market. I will never back down from that statement.

MelissaWV
01-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Glad you think so. The average drug dealer is a good person trying to make a little extra money by selling marijuana. They provide a desired product to their communities, but in doing so risk being assaulted, kidnapped and held prisoner, or sometimes even killed. And they deny the government killing and pillaging machine tax revenue. The peaceful drug dealer is a hero of the market. I will never back down from that statement.

There are a great number of drug dealers doing it because of its profitability, not out of some kind of desire to make people happy or provide a quality product. (I make no distinction there between illegal and prescription drugs, I should add....) I don't think drug dealers should be painted with the broad brush of being good people persecuted by the Government. They're providing a good that, thanks to our Government, must necessarily be provided via shady means. That often means dealing with very shady people.

Meh, every argument is emotion for the most part. Humans are emotion. Without it, we have no purpose, it is what makes us what we are.

A drug is used why?

What if you are tired all the time? Should you simply sleep, and sleep, and sleep, even though it gains you nothing, and you are neither productive, nor gain a fulfilling rest?

What if your pancreas does not work, and so you regulate your body's checmical imbalances via insulin?

What if the situation cannot be dealt with, and the symptoms are all you're left with? There are any number of situations where that's the case, including terminal ailments, disabilities, etc.. I know a good deal of people who smoke a little pot to get them to eat, because otherwise they simply cannot keep down their food. The family members who grow that silly little plant (which is so easy to grow, even a stoner can do it!) are risking their reputations and their freedom. I don't think that's right.

Regarding the OP, I am fine legalizing drugs, and the only "strings" that should be attached are the same ones applicable to all behavior. If a landlord doesn't want a meth lab in their apartment building, they are welcome to place restrictions on such. They can make a building non-smoking (and include any smoking at all). If someone's driving like crap and causes an accident, they should be held responsible by whatever authority, or fellow citizen, the society in question puts in charge of such... regardless of whether they were drinking, sleepy, on drugs, or eating a cheeseburger at the wheel.

powerofreason
01-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Regarding the OP, I am fine legalizing drugs, and the only "strings" that should be attached are the same ones applicable to all behavior. If a landlord doesn't want a meth lab in their apartment building, they are welcome to place restrictions on such. They can make a building non-smoking (and include any smoking at all). If someone's driving like crap and causes an accident, they should be held responsible by whatever authority, or fellow citizen, the society in question puts in charge of such... regardless of whether they were drinking, sleepy, on drugs, or eating a cheeseburger at the wheel.

Of course.

dannno
01-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Garlic is great for the immune system. What if the government labeled garlic a drug and made it illegal? Wouldn't the person who sells garlic on the underground market be a hero?

Cannabis helps prevent all diseases that are caused by stress, which is about 70% of the diseases humans suffer from. It treats sick and dying patients as well as patients with a myriad of several hundred other conditions. It has been used as a medicine for over 5,000 years. The government made it illegal. All the 'drug dealers' I had in the past who sold cannabis I had a very great respect for.

It is difficult to make that argument for other substances which I deem "dangerous", like meth. Is the meth dealer a hero? In principle, I believe it could be argued that they are, even if the substance is harmful to the user. It's not like they are false advertising.

powerofreason
01-05-2010, 05:47 PM
It is difficult to make that argument for other substances which I deem "dangerous", like meth. Is the meth dealer a hero? In principle, I believe it could be argued that they are, even if the substance is harmful to the user. It's not like they are false advertising.

Long term use could certainly be considered risky. Gambling is also risky. As is, say, mountain climbing. But casino bosses and mountain climbing guides aren't almost universally hated for enabling risky behavior. Could the government/corporate media brainwashing machine be responsible for this? Gee I wonder.

Danke
01-05-2010, 05:54 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie_defense

powerofreason
01-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Think about how people typically view a casino boss. Particularly people that don't gamble for pleasure. "I don't have a problem with casinos. They're just taking the money of idiots that are throwing it at them. Gamblers know full well the house has the better chance to win, always." Or something like that. Yet gambling can be more addicting than crack to someone with a defective dopamine system in their brain. Or simply a really fun way to spend some money. Now think about how the gambler probably views drug users. Or how the drug user views the Mt. Everest climber. On and on. Most think their fellow pleasure seekers are retarded, to be blunt. But we are in a sense slaves to our brain chemistry. To resist is to live in misery. That of course does not justify any type of wrongdoing. We can all find non criminal ways of experiencing pleasure. And we're all tempted to commit wrongful acts at times.

MelissaWV
01-05-2010, 06:09 PM

In all fairness, way too many people beat their wife or die after alcohol use, or behind the wheel of a vehicle. A whole lot of people wind up dead from lack of sleep (and trying to prop themselves awake with caffeine). A great number of folks die of cig-related diseases.

Oh, and diabetics most assuredly CAN die from a chocolate overdose... I'm not sure of any that'd be that stupid, or really want that to be their demise of choice... but you know what I meant. Additionally, people are overweight in society at an alarming rate. I wouldn't be so fast to discount the other "addictions" society has to offer; there are plenty of awful things to do to yourself, and lots of legal ways to do it.

ClayTrainor
01-05-2010, 06:11 PM
I, 1000% Agree with this. The key word is peaceful, for sure.

There are a great number of drug dealers doing it because of its profitability, not out of some kind of desire to make people happy or provide a quality product. (I make no distinction there between illegal and prescription drugs, I should add....) I don't think drug dealers should be painted with the broad brush of being good people persecuted by the Government. They're providing a good that, thanks to our Government, must necessarily be provided via shady means. That often means dealing with very shady people.

Also, a great point! In my experience, as long as you stay away from the people who sell the dangerously addictive stuff, you will find that most dealers are just regular people, like you and I, who basically have a legitimate business that the government doesn't approve of.

I could never be a dealer, because I don't want to embrace the risk of facing an armed man in a uniform. If cancer patients and insomniacs needed pot to treat their symptoms, I would not go find it for them, because of this fear. Those who take these kinds of risks, peacefully, are heroes of the marketplace for sure.

speciallyblend
01-05-2010, 06:59 PM
I, 1000% Agree with this. The key word is peaceful, for sure.

Also, a great point! In my experience, as long as you stay away from the people who sell the dangerously addictive stuff, you will find that most dealers are just regular people, like you and I, who basically have a legitimate business that the government doesn't approve of.

I could never be a dealer, because I don't want to embrace the risk of facing an armed man in a uniform. If cancer patients and insomniacs needed pot to treat their symptoms, I would not go find it for them, because of this fear. Those who take these kinds of risks, peacefully, are heroes of the marketplace for sure.

Move to Colorado and you remove all the fear from armed police;) not legal by law(personal use) yet but legal by common sense;) but the laws will be changing soon, pretty much legal already personal and 100% legal for medical...